Granite Granite Cogging/Delay Solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Mojave
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Typhon 3s
Hey guys, before I get started I KNOW this issue has already been discussed in depth a multitude of times. But I'm just looking for one simple definitive answer that I can't seem to find. I took the stock brushless system out of my Senton and put it in my Granite. I didn't notice any cogging in the Senton, probably due to the smaller tire size. But now in the Granite the very popular cogging issue is present. I understand that the Granite is a heavy vehicle with large tires. Once it get's going it takes off like nobody's business. But those initial couple of seconds are like waiting for a turbo to spool up. I'm already running the stock 15T pinion. My question is, has anyone here dropped down even lower in pinion and successfully eliminated the cogging issue? None of the threads I read gave a definitive answer or solution, aside from going to a sensored system, which is out of the picture at the moment. If I could simply drop down two or three more teeth and get rid of the delay altogether that'd be great!

Dropping pinion would increase initial torque, but would slow speed quite a bit. It would be particularly noticeable dropping 3 teeth. Roughly equivalent to going 40 instead of 50mph. If you can handle that, might be worth trying.

It will help for sure. Throwing in a 4s battery/esc would help too. Lowering punch might help as well.

It should help a little bit. Worth a shot. Pinions are cheap:

AMOGOT Metal Steel 32P Pinion Gear Sets 13T 14T 15T 16T 17T with Hex Key for 5mm Shaft RC Brushless Brush Motor RC Car Upgrade Part https://a.co/d/e03PFSJ
Wow thats a great deal on pinions, they're worth picking up just for the price alone. Thanks for sharing.
Dropping pinion would increase initial torque, but would slow speed quite a bit. It would be particularly noticeable dropping 3 teeth. Roughly equivalent to going 40 instead of 50mph. If you can handle that, might be worth trying.
Ehhh that's a tough one. I'd probably have to actually try it out and see if I'm ok with the speed difference.
It will help for sure. Throwing in a 4s battery/esc would help too. Lowering punch might help as well.
Are the BLX100 esc's the cause of the notorious cogging issue?

Wow thats a great deal on pinions, they're worth picking up just for the price alone. Thanks for sharing.

Ehhh that's a tough one. I'd probably have to actually try it out and see if I'm ok with the speed difference.

I don't notice cogging when i used the castle mm2 or the spektrum 150a. I was also using 4s though.

You'd need a different speed controller for that though. BLX100 is up to 3s only.

It might be the whole power system that's causing the issue, but my primary suspect would be the motor and whatever esc setting comes stock. I switched to a different motor (4068 surpass, 2650kv) and the issue is less noticeable now. I suspect the stock motors and esc settings are tuned for top end power, not initial torque.

You'd need a different speed controller for that though. BLX100 is up to 3s only.

It might be the whole power system that's causing the issue, but my primary suspect would be the motor and whatever esc setting comes stock. I switched to a different motor (4068 surpass, 2650kv) and the issue is less noticeable now. I suspect the stock motors and esc settings are tuned for top end power, not initial torque.
Ya I was trying to say that with the battery/esc comment. I actually had that same surpass motor in my typhon 3s as well and I still had really bad cogging even with the 150a esc and mx28 non belted tires. It got a lot better when I dropped down to like 18t and better again when I swapped to the castle mm2. I guess most people probably wouldn't be trying to gear as high as me though but a 2650kv motor is a big speed decrease on 3s compared to stock.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back