Granite Grinding gear mesh??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hey y’all,
I recently got my granite up and running again after a while. I got my hands on a cheap Velineon system and swapped it in, just to be greeted with an awful grinding noise when I hit the throttle. There’s a bit of play in the gears, and I’ve cleaned it out to make sure there’s no sand or grit in there. Any reason as to why it’s making this sound? Bad bearings? Clutch too tight?

Slipper clutch Spur alignment to the pinion gear issue there.
Fore and Aft spur gear play is NG.
Look over the whole Slipper assy closer.
Also looks like the Mesh could be a hair closer/tighter there.
At least the video makes it appear that way.:unsure:

Remember, with the Power Module Cover "removed" , it will make more chatter, sound more noisey. Louder.

Don't let that fool you. Some Spur/ pinion noise is normal.

Last edited:
Looks like you've got an extra slipper pad in there:unsure:
I've also not heard good thing about those fixed position motor mounts, also it could be bent?
Cant tell if its a metal spur but their quite a lot louder than the stock plastic ones.

Looks like you've got an extra slipper pad in there:unsure:
I've also not heard good thing about those fixed position motor mounts, also it could be bent?
Cant tell if its a metal spur but their quite a lot louder than the stock plastic ones.
I put it in there for extra pressure on the slipper. I remember the gears being a lot more quiet and smoother than this.

I put it in there for extra pressure on the slipper. I remember the gears being a lot more quiet and smoother than this.
Yeah you don't want to ADD an extra slipper pad.
Wrong approach. Not how it was "designed" to be.
I think you answered your own question there maybe.

Does the sound change at all when the back cover of the assembly is on?

The 2 outer bearings on the spur hubs running smoothly?
The sound keeps going even with the back cover off. I replaced both bearings with some new ones, but still no luck. I went as far as to replace the bearing on the shaft side of the motor, as I imagined it must’ve been shot, and I was right. But still after replacing the bearing it still sounds bad.

Should always change out both Motor BB's as a set/pair.
Is the motor itself noisey when separated and isolated from the Spur (and whole drivetrain)?

Should always change out both Motor BB's as a set/pair.
Is the motor itself noisey when separated and isolated from the Spur (and whole drivetrain)?
Not at all, it’s very quiet compared to the sound it makes when paired it the the spur gear.

So the motor is ok. (y)
Process of elimination here......
Lets think this through. trial and error.

No, when the cover is on, does it make the same noise? You’re running it without the rear bearing and its housing in the video.

What pinion is that? Are you running the mod1 pinion that came with the traxxas motor next to the .8 mod arrma spur?

^^^
+1
Good point, good question there. Mismatched gears???
Definitely will cause a loud noisey growl to them.
.8 Modulus = Modulus 1.(n) No.
An easy mistake to make. Check this first and foremost.
.8 modulus will fit with 32 Pitch gears however.(y)

^^^
+1
Good point, good question there. Mismatched gears???
Definitely will cause a loud noisey growl to them.
.8 Modulus = Modulus 1.(n) No.
An easy mistake to make. Check this first and foremost.
.8 modulus will fit with 32 Pitch gears however.(y)
both are 32 pitch though, the spur being a 32 pitch as well as the pinion.
No, when the cover is on, does it make the same noise? You’re running it without the rear bearing and its housing in the video.

What pinion is that? Are you running the mod1 pinion that came with the traxxas motor next to the .8 mod arrma spur?
The pinion is a Robinson racing 14t 32p. The spur is a hot racing 57t 32p. And yes, it makes the same noise with the cover on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back