Kraton Heavier diff oils cause more stress?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotwheel85

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Hi!

On the 3s forum we discussed k6s vs granite, it was a couple members that had more issues with snapping shafts and pins, well as diff gears when they started to run thicker oil on the K6s.

Is this only when you run heavy oil in front and rear diffs or or is it the same case with going up in numbers on the center diff also?

Still running on the stock 100k in center and i don't like that it’s having more power to the front.

Consider to use f/r diffs with stock oil, and going up between 200-500k in middle.

What is your experience with this?
On K8s it takes everything but that is probably even more solid driveline too?

Thanks for sharing more info about thicker diff oils and stress to the driveline on k6s before i do something about it :)

Yes you are correct thicker diff oil on F&R will give more stress causing motor and ESC to heat up more this applies for bashing on offroad especially on grass.

However for Center Diff, having a thicker diff oil will be good because this will give almost same amount of power to both Front and Rear of the truck making the truck to act more aggressive and fun to drive.

Yes you are correct thicker diff oil on F&R will give more stress causing motor and ESC to heat up more this applies for bashing on offroad especially on grass.

However for Center Diff, having a thicker diff oil will be good because this will give almost same amount of power to both Front and Rear of the truck making the truck to act more aggressive and fun to drive.
Thanks a lot for the answer, thicker oil in center here we come 😎

Yes, and no. Thinner oil will allow a shock to one wheel to transfer easily to another wheel, minimizing chance of breakage. BUT. running thin oil allows all the power to go to the wheel with the least traction, and you get ballooning of the tires, and ass the diffs spin internally very fast when this happens, you can overheat the diff and it can fail.
Have a bajillion weight diff oil will mean that all energy from a gnarly landing will but put on the one corner dogbone and diff. A little softer will allow some of that energy to pass to another wheel.
So, yes and no.
There are charts out there that will tell you what impact changing oil weights will have. Google is your friend. A lot of people will say run 1 million. Others say run 250k, you need to figure out what behavior you would like to see more of from the truck and make your own adjustment. For example, A recommendation of 1 million center diff fluid from a shelf queen that never sees any action is not relevant to me. A recommendation of 250k in the center gives me the ability to kick the rear end out with the throttle on looser terrain, now that is relevant to me.

Went with 300k and punch settings to 6.
Completly different now vs stock, it’s like a stunt truck almost! Like one added a extra lipo pack :p

The gasket on the center diff is cracked around one of the holes to the screws. Wonder if it’s going to leak or if i can wait a bit to add a new one next time i open it?

Went with 300k and punch settings to 6.
Completly different now vs stock, it’s like a stunt truck almost! Like one added a extra lipo pack :p

The gasket on the center diff is cracked around one of the holes to the screws. Wonder if it’s going to leak or if i can wait a bit to add a new one next time i open it?
Look on ebay and buy tekjo gaskets. They are a lot thicker and better material. I put them on all of mine and the gasket between the diff case/chassis.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back