Help choosing a charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a video on the basics. If you want to know more go on the the second part.
I am so glad I learned early on as It saved me lots of money with buying the right batteries and chargers.
Hope you get what you are looking for.

That's sound advise, and appreciated. But it's difficult for me to believe that someone else's priorities could be that much different from my own. At least not within the hobby. My objective is simple: I want to run my rc hard and fast. Then I want to make my batteries ready to do it again, and again, and again. I would like to do that in an efficient, effective, and as simple as possible way. So, is that an achievable goal? If not, then my new hobby is starting to look more like a really expensive spare time sponge.

That's sound advise, and appreciated. But it's difficult for me to believe that someone else's priorities could be that much different from my own. At least not within the hobby. My objective is simple: I want to run my rc hard and fast. Then I want to make my batteries ready to do it again, and again, and again. I would like to do that in an efficient, effective, and as simple as possible way. So, is that an achievable goal? If not, then my new hobby is starting to look more like a really expensive spare time sponge.
The hobby is expensive.

It is budget driven.

All of the options presented above will do the trick.

B6 Lipo Battery Balance Charger 80W 6A Discharger for NiMH/NiCd (1-15S) LiPo/Li-ion/Life Battery (1-6S) RC Hobby Batteries Balance Charger with AC Power Supply https://a.co/d/gUle9La

This was one of my first chargers - cheap, easy, effective and helped me learn about lipo basics.

If you can swing it, get a newer charger - discharge your batteries with your truck. The problem lies when you inevitably break something and you have 20k mah of batteries to discharge.

There's always options, just depends what your budget is and what you are ultimately looking for. The hobby is great, don't get discouraged.

Thank you for that. It's too much to give it up now. Expensive or not, there are worse things to spend money on, and I've done that. This is something for my Son and I to enjoy together. Thanks again.

So why is everything so unreliable within the hobby? I understand power supplies will have their share of issues. They work hard. But from what I've been reading, and your comments about losing a channel etc... It just seems like everything is "made in China" quality. I have heard some bad reviews on the "Venom" chargers, which was where I was headed. So now I'm reluctant to make a move on anything. I think you're right about a single 4 channel unit. It makes sense to not have all your amps in 1 basket, as it were. If I spend more money can I get a longer lasting and reliable system?
Thank you, by the way to everyone adding their input. You guys are great on this forum.
I've seen some very expensive chargers out there.
I can't say the more you pay guaranty's anything from my past Exper.
I was using 2 Hobbymate D6 Duo' Pros. (2 channel), they were incredible for some years, until the Scroll wheel would get all Jittery, hard to adjust settings, and then one by one, a channel would fail. I disassembled one and managed to clean the Scroll wheel switch and still used the remaining channel, but then it was toast, Both channels dead at some point. The main reason I chose these HM's, was because the Internal PSU was high end quality as reviewed by the best in the business, Josh Bardwell and company. And I agree, the PSU was superb over the 3 + years I was running my 2 HM's. I run an External 24v/400w PSU now, so that is meaningless for me now in retrospect..
Just one by one the HM's Channels fried on me, and the crappy scroll wheel failed. This ended up being common complaints by others.
Main reason I got the ISDT K2 Air, was that it was 2 channel and doesn't use a Scroll wheel to navigate the GUI. Has a simple press button instead. And similar specs. And a slightly Better GUI. Still the same Smart display FWIW.

Last edited:
They most likely would have arrived with a storage charge in them, the proper voltage that a LiPo battery should be left at when not in use. If the truck hit LVC, you would want them put back to storage charge ASAP. I can't say how long they could sit before they risk becoming a hazard, but certainly will start to degrade the longer they sit like that. I'm also pretty picky about how I maintain my batteries. There are also people out there who run them dead and forget about them until who knows when and might not have the issues we all worry about. But sooner rather than later is ideal. Lots of good info and suggestions so far in this thread đź‘Ť
But as an add on, if you ran it at storage voltage, you should be in for a pleasant surprise when you run it fully charged. Should have even more jam.
Most decent and FRESH inventoried lipo packs out the box come with 3.85v/cell.
But 3.80 is fine. I've gotten some NIB rotten apple lipos before as well. At any given time I have like 17-20 lipos here . Of all types and capacities. I always storage charge them every 2 months or so to top them off to correct storage volts. You must. I set my storage Voltage to 3.85v/cell.
By default , chargers will do storage at 3.80v/cell. That's fine too. The industry standard.
Just 3.85/cell is how I like mine stored. Maybe that's splitting hairs, IDK.
Used ones will lose volts just sitting around for months on end.
I think that extra .05v/cell bump makes a difference. Just me.
Cells store best when roughly 50% charged. No more, no less.

Last edited:
+1 for the gensacearespammers Imars D300. Every feature you’d want and it was my first time being able to charge 6s batteries at 9+ amps without an external power supply. Not that I do 9 amps often, but it’s a nice option if you’re in a pinch or want to charge 2 different 6s batteries at 4+ amps each.

Last edited:
While I am a total noob, I decided on this one as my first charger: IMARS III PRO 10A

It can do 2S-6S, is capable of up to 10A, and can balance/store/discharge. It is only a single channel so that could be an issue. After an expensive Christmas for the fam, I just couldn't swing a better model along with rig/battery and stay within budget. The plan is to hand this one over to my oldest son when I inevitably upgrade my gear.

It hasn't even arrived yet so I can't even say how well it works but from the research I have done, it seems fairly decent all around. Maybe worth a look if you're ok with a single channel and looking to stay low with budget.

If you can handle the robot voice:

Last edited:
If you can find one

IMG_9267.png

Thank you I am going to order something today. Any others you would recommend?
The only other “nice” one I’ve tried besides the barebones spektrum stuff is the Protek Prodigy 610ez. It’s a great charger for $70 and has the features you want. It’s more than adequate for charging singular 3s or 4s battery. 6s takes a little patience since it only does 6 cells @ 4 amps. So if your 6s battery is 4000mah you’re looking at ~45 min of charge time. The bigger the battery the longer it will take. The d300 on the other hand can charge a 6s 6000mah battery in 25 minutes if I need it to.

Worth mentioning the d300 is $10 off, so $120 on Amazon currently.

I just recently committed all of my disposable income(if there is such a thing) to this great hobby. I'm looking for advice on which charger I should get. Any suggestions on a good all in one unit would be great.
I like spectrum chargers and batteries as they are one of the safest options to avoid a fire. They better monitor your battery health and retain a history of each battery provided you use only the spectrum charger. I bought a package deal with 2 4S batteries and saved about $60. Good luck!

I just recently committed all of my disposable income(if there is such a thing) to this great hobby. I'm looking for advice on which charger I should get. Any suggestions on a good all in one unit would be great.

Smart Powerstage 8S Surface Bundle: 5000mAh 4S LiPo Battery (2) / S2100 Charger​

Item No.
Spektrum SMART - SPMXPS8HC
$239.99

I forgot to post what I purchased! I am not at home (eating out at a restaurant).

I’ve had a Hi Tech X4 for years and like it. Haven’t had any trouble with it and it lets me know when batteries are going bad or have issues. Charger looks good and is well built.

Here is a video on the basics. If you want to know more go on the the second part.
I am so glad I learned early on as It saved me lots of money with buying the right batteries and chargers.
Hope you get what you are looking for.
Not RC Saylers dude. Please. (n)

>>>Look to Josh Bardwell, and others if you want the skinny or the long version of advice when it comes to chargers.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=josh+bardwell+chargers

Not RC Saylers dude. Please. (n)

>>>Look to Josh Bardwell, and others if you want the skinny or the long version of advice when it comes to chargers.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=josh+bardwell+chargers
Save your thumbs down for the video not me. I found it pretty informative and was trying to help.
He has over half million subs and the video has been watched over 100K times.
I hope no one forced you to watch if you don't like the guy.

Save your thumbs down for the video not me. I found it pretty informative and was trying to help.
He has over half million subs and the video has been watched over 100K times.
I hope no one forced you to watch if you don't like the guy.
Hey ,the blind tends to lead the blind as they say. Enjoy all their content, if you will. As many do. My message was for others here ,not necessarily you. You already got this stuff "down". Hey you offered help. That's good.
My then 10 yo son subed them and they were both very rude to his one comment. He was merely politely correcting them on a clear mistake, misinformation. And he was correct. I was shocked when my son showed me it. Screw them. They come off as the be all end all RC'ers. Spare me. Don't ever criticize them? They got you all sucked in.
They are not all that. IMHO. Never will be. Just sponsored wannabe RC'ers with a Shtick that keeps their followers coming. I am all too familiar with them. They all too comedic for me. No value to their content.
(n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n)
We just agree to differ.

Last edited:
Back