Help putting a 1.5 Mod pinion back on the motor rotor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Dealing with a 780kv motor

I came stock with 13T and had to take a LARGE screwdriver to wedge it off the motor rotor. I have a 16T 1.5 mod to put back on, and that is the correct opinion.

Issue: I can get about 1/4 of it on, but it will not slip entirely onto the rotor. After testing the stock pinion, I found that it was the same as the new one if I wanted to put it back on.

Question any tips on how to put the pinion back on the motor's shaft? Usually, I'd take a hammer and beat it on, but I won't do that not to damage the motor can, rotor, or internal.

Any suggestions?

I use chainsaw files to open up the bore, then I polish the shaft with an abrasive wheel. Keep digging and polishing until she slips in…. Do the same to all of your pinions, usually the pinion coating creates an interference. Last thing you want is to create a burr on a shaft.

I use chainsaw files to open up the bore, then I polish the shaft with an abrasive wheel. Keep digging and polishing until she slips in…. Do the same to all of your pinions, usually the pinion coating creates an interference. Last thing you want is to create a burr on a shaft.
This is good....green never heard of any of those tools :LOL:

If this is a chainsaw file, how big can I find one for a 8mm rotor?

Just a small round file found at most hardware stores. Bring the pinion with and size up a set. 1/4” should be able to do it all but a small flat file will get the D-hole corners too.

Light 360+ grit wet sandpaper and elbow grease for the shaft in a pinch.

Just a small round file found at most hardware stores. Bring the pinion with and size up a set. 1/4” should be able to do it all but a small flat file will get the D-hole corners too.

Light 360+ grit wet sandpaper and elbow grease for the shaft in a pinch.
Thx Sir...

I did not have the tool you recommended yet, but I looked at the dremel set I have and saw some stones. Most were too big to bore inside, but for the smaller ones, I used one and just reamed around the inside as even as possible. I only need to remove a little to get it over the shaft.

It worked...now to add some more tools.

1710475792589.png

Back