Help choosing REAL car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For you first car, get something modest, as you will almost certainly wreck or beat the crap out of it.

That being said, the best bang for the buck as far as fun goes......get a manual. You would be shocked how much fun even the lowliest of cars can be with a manual. Besides, if you learn to drive a manual you will have a skill most do not....including criminals who may try to steal your car. Best theft deterrence ever!

Speaking of which l, what would everyone here say is the most racer/tuner accord there is? I've been interested in one for a while now.
3CB664D6-C758-42C3-9984-0626D781521F.jpeg

For you first car, get something modest, as you will almost certainly wreck or beat the crap out of it.

That being said, the best bang for the buck as far as fun goes......get a manual. You would be shocked how much fun even the lowliest of cars can be with a manual. Besides, if you learn to drive a manual you will have a skill most do not....including criminals who may try to steal your car. Best theft deterrence ever!
My first car was a 1985 Chevrolet Caprice police interceptor with a 350 and a bad transmission so I took a 4 speed rock crusher out of a 72 Chevelle 350. I’m pretty sure that motor saw 6000 rpm every time I raced someone, and I’m also pretty sure I jumped every single railroad track that I saw. That car was AWESOME! I fit 9 people inside it once.

@Bigtim29 hey man! I work on those chargers a lot. My local PD uses them and at my shop we do them a few favors. To be honest, just seeing what those police cars go through in this shop, not the best car. Both the V6 and V8 ones from 06 all the way up to 2018 (newest year ive worked on enough to feel comfortable about discussing) have major front suspension issues. It’s almost like they didn’t design the balljoints and tie rods and sway bar end links for the weight of the vehicle. If you were my kid, I’d maybe, maybe let you buy a 2006-2008 RT hemi. That’s it though. Once you start getting past 2009 with the second gen new 5.7 hemi V8, those camshaft problems really kill those motors. From 06 to 08 they were good motors for sure. I can write a novel on my opinion on Chrysler’s LX platform. At the end of the day it’s a 90’s Mercedes E class platform so it was very antique even in 2006 when the charger released. If you can get an 06-08, you’ll just have the normal suspension issues and electrical gremlins typical for any Chrysler vehicle. Past 2008, you’ll have all those issues, on top of guaranteed engine failure. Guaranteed! The 09 and up hemi is a very bad motor. I’m waiting on my 2010 ram 5.7 to eat up it’s cam like the hundreds of thousands of other 2009 and up hemi Chryslers.

Those older diesel VWs are good vehicles. Anything remotely close to modern though, they’re endless money pits. I’m pretty sure I threw up a little when I saw someone recommend you a GDI/TDI car ? some people love setting their money on fire.

If I were you I’d start looking at a 1994-1996 impala SS. Although if you’re not good at looking for rare cars, getting one cheap might be an obstacle. By the way, what is your budget? If you’re blessed enough to want to spend over $15k, you can get a very nice 2006-2008 charger V8 with very low miles that’ll last hundreds of thousands of miles under your ownership. That might be a good idea.

*Claims to know a lot about the Chrysler LX platform.*

*Repeats the old myth the the LX is a 90s E Class platform.*

*Claims to know a lot about the Chrysler LX platform.*

*Repeats the old myth the the LX is a 90s E Class platform.*
? it’s not a myth they even recycled the 5 speed transmission. The chassis, although with 0 parts compatibility, is very much a late 90’s E class Mercedes chassis. They just chryslerified it (made it cheaper and a little more modern)

I’m not an engineer I just fix the damn things.

Edit after a quick google search, they’re a lot similar than I would have thought. It even shares the 5 link identical to the W221 Mercedes chassis.

Last edited:
? it’s not a myth they even recycled the 5 speed transmission. The chassis, although with 0 parts compatibility, is very much a late 90’s E class Mercedes chassis. They just chryslerified it (made it cheaper and a little more modern)

I’m not an engineer I just fix the damn things.
I also heard that Mercedes gave up on the Chrysler brand as it was costing them too much money. So they sold it to fiat which allowed the Italians to bring the brand back to the US

I also heard that Mercedes gave up on the Chrysler brand as it was costing them too much money. So they sold it to fiat which allowed the Italians to bring the brand back to the US
Yup. That’s why Chrysler went from Daimler to Chrysler Group LLC, to, for almost the past 10 years, Fiat-Chrysler. I updated that reply you quoted by the way.

Gah! I see two people who have no idea what they are talking about congratulating themselves on how much they know. There is a lot of misinformation out there.

First, Fiat did not buy Chrysler from Daimler. Cerberus did. Fiat then bought Chrysler from Cerberus after Cerberus held it for two years.

Secondly, Daimler sold Chrysler because they couldn't extract any more money from it. Chrysler was in good shape before the sale to Daimler. Daimler cost cut Chrysler into the ground. When Fiat took over, the cars almost immediately got better. Simply look at the interiors of any 2010 Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge and compare it to the 2011 version.

1600794305182.png
1600794352024.png

Chrysler did use parts from the Daimler parts bin to build the 300. And it made sense to use stuff that was already developed. But to say that the LX was created by Chrysler basically resigning a 90s Mercedes is simply incorrect. The LX platform was in development before the merger and was delayed by Daimler to increase parts sharing.

Gah! I see two people who have no idea what they are talking about congratulating themselves on how much they know. There is a lot of misinformation out there.

First, Fiat did not buy Chrysler from Daimler. Cerberus did. Fiat then bought Chrysler from Cerberus after Cerberus held it for two years.

Secondly, Daimler sold Chrysler because they couldn't extract any more money from it. Chrysler was in good shape before the sale to Daimler. Daimler cost cut Chrysler into the ground. When Fiat took over, the cars almost immediately got better. Simply look at the interiors of any 2010 Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge and compare it to the 2011 version.

View attachment 101101 View attachment 101102

Chrysler did use parts from the Daimler parts bin to build the 300. And it made sense to use stuff that was already developed. But to say that the LX was created by Chrysler basically resigning a 90s Mercedes is simply incorrect. The LX platform was in development before the merger and was delayed by Daimler to increase parts sharing.
Just want to let you know I’m not a Chrysler hater I love my mopars, I own a 2010 Dodge Ram and would like to own a 68 charger RT. First off, nobody said Chrysler was bought from Daimler, you read wrong. Second, with the LX platform, here’s what the LX platform is. The LX platform is Mercedes W221 and W220 chassis with a few cheap revamps to make it modern. That’s what the LX platform is. And 3, yeah the interiors look great after 2010 I was stoked. Problem is, as soon as you take anything apart, chances are the clips snap and you just did the old rattle mod. I’ve never snapped anything but a TON of people I know who aren’t super careful just buy a ton of panel clips because they just snap snap snap. The interiors look a lot better but really they kinda just polished up their lackluster quality. I’m not really a guy to care about interiors though so this never bothered me, that’s why I love the first gen new charger RTs so much. One day I’ll buy an SRT8.

This was the quote I was responding to about Fiat buying from Daimler.

Also, not sure how you can claim it's a Mercedes chassis when the car is a unibody. Either it's a Chrysler design with Mercedes parts or it's a Mercedes design with a Chrysler skin. The engineers who worked on it at Chrysler claim the first.

https://www.allpar.com/history/interviews/burke-brown-lx.html

This was the quote I was responding to about Fiat buying from Daimler.

Also, not sure how you can claim it's a Mercedes chassis when the car is a unibody. Either it's a Chrysler design with Mercedes parts or it's a Mercedes design with a Chrysler skin. The engineers who worked on it at Chrysler claim the first.

https://www.allpar.com/history/interviews/burke-brown-lx.html
A chassis is a chassis, a frame is a frame, a chassis is not a frame. Or better said, you don’t need a frame to have a chassis. An example is like the GM W chassis doesn’t have a frame, or any other unibody chassis.

When you

View attachment 101101 View attachment 101102

When you Realise that f.i.a.t. owns jeep

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back