Model car kit cement feedback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

332_RC

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Notorious
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Infraction 4x4
I have 4 model car kits I've had for a while. Built many kits years ago. It's really what got me into RC. I always used Testors cement or CA glue. Went to the LHS today, they recommended Tamiya cements, so I got all three types. Anyone build or into model kits & have any feedback on using these?

20240309_171412.jpg

Last edited:
Way back in my much younger years, I used to do model aircraft and jet fighters.. I always used testors paints and glue, the local Walmart and or DG didn't carry Tamiya or I just don't remember seeing it on the shelf.. again waaaaay back in the years...
Wish I could help ya.
Maybe do a vs. Google search?

Way back in my much younger years, I used to do model aircraft and jet fighters.. I always used testors paints and glue, the local Walmart and or DG didn't carry Tamiya or I just don't remember seeing it on the shelf.. again waaaaay back in the years...
Wish I could help ya.
Maybe do a vs. Google search?
Yeah man. I'll look & see what I can find about them. The fella at the LHS said it's what he uses. I went ahead & got all three types. I'd never seen them before.

I had always used Testors, I even remember back before it smelled like oranges.
How do they make toluene smell like oranges? 🤔 It still kills brain cells, right? Can you still coat the inside of a brown paper bag with it, stick it over your head, and travel to different planets? Asking for a friend…

How do they make toluene smell like oranges? 🤔 It still kills brain cells, right? Can you still coat the inside of a brown paper bag with it, stick it over your head, and travel to different planets? Asking for a friend…
I don't know but the guy at the hobby store said, don't spill this tamiya glue over, it'll clear the room. Not sure of because of the fumes or the space travel

Built a LOT of models growing up. Still have some of the cooler ones. Just used the Testors stuff. Search, "Tamiya model glue" on Youtube. Lots of videos explaining each and how to use them. If I ever get to finishing a couple I have saved, I might look into this stuff.

Last edited:
I have this LA Dart knockoff I picked up about 2 years ago. Took me a bit to find one. I had this kit I tried to build when was around 12 & I never finished it. It was really difficult. So many parts for the rear engine in the trunk. I'm hoping this Tamiya cement will do it. Back then I could not get it to stay together with what glue I had.

20240309_194119.jpg

20240309_194135.jpg

20240309_194158.jpg

I wonder what glue you were using back in the day? The old Testors (or other brands of toluene glue) literally melted the polystyrene. It was like a chemical weld. If you gooped too much on, that stuff would create a plastic blob you couldn’t really come back from, at least with smaller pieces/joints.

That's really cool. I know what you mean. I hated trying to hold pieces together and they wouldn't set. Found out the hard way you had to scrape the chrome away to get plastic on plastic. Rubber bands helped too. Glue this, band it, and skip ahead. Come back to the previous part.

In my 30's, I REALLY got into it. Painted every single part. Took weeks to make it just right. Then I even started customizing them. Chopping rooves and adding leftover parts from others. They used to make a body filler. Hope they still do. One of the kits I have saved is heavily modded and not done.

Unfortunately we moved. Into the house I'm in now. My boys were real young. They go into a box of them and thought they were toys. Devastated when I woke up. Managed to save a few but, most were not salvageable. Sucked. Put the stuff in a closet and haven't looked at it.

I'll dig a few out if others want to see them.

I wonder what glue you were using back in the day? The old Testors (or other brands of toluene glue) literally melted the polystyrene. It was like a chemical weld. If you gooped too much on, that stuff would create a plastic blob you couldn’t really come back from, at least with smaller pieces/joints.
That's exactly what happened. It was the orange tube or green tube. That's the Testors if I remember correctly. I had built probably a dozen models at least when I got it back then. I was pretty good at building & painting. I still have a few I built in storage. I had just finished a 70 Plymouth Superbird then. But this one didn't work out.

Here are the other 3 I've collected in the past couple years.

Attachments

• 20240309_195121.jpg
    20240309_195121.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240309_195147.jpg
    20240309_195147.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240309_195217.jpg
    20240309_195217.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 14
Back