Help choosing REAL car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigtim29

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
Hey so I’m just about 18 and would like to buy my first car soon. I’ve always liked v8 engines and dodge chargers so I’d want want get a Dodge Charger (used) with the 5.7L hemi.

the other option is getting a Volkswagen Passat or Jetta, since they’re diesel they get 30 city 40mpg Highway.

So my first decision is the fun one, and my second decision is the smart one. Which do I pick?

I've grown up in the V8 musclecar years and still drive V8s. The Charger will burn more fuel/tires and insurance will be high for a 18 year old, but V8 power is addictive. The smart choice would be the Vwagon, but then you will miss out on them smokey burnouts.

I had a Mustang GT V8 when I was 18. Loved that car. I still immediately recognize the ignition whenever I hear it. Yes, my insurance was through the roof, but it was tons of fun. Definitely have to learn to respect the way the back end can kick out on a V8 rear wheel drive. The guy that bought it from me did not. Wrecked my baby!

Its amazing to me that kids have no issue getting insured to drive sports/muscle cars in the US. In the UK it is prohibitively expensive (think $7-12k per year) for an 18 year to insure something like a mustang. It can be knocking on the door of that sort of money for something like a golf gti for a young driver!

Pretty sure this is a supercharged V8. Get this if you like muscle cars. ?

ARA7617V2-Action-17-dec.jpg

Hey so I’m just about 18 and would like to buy my first car soon. I’ve always liked v8 engines and dodge chargers so I’d want want get a Dodge Charger (used) with the 5.7L hemi.

the other option is getting a Volkswagen Passat or Jetta, since they’re diesel they get 30 city 40mpg Highway.

So my first decision is the fun one, and my second decision is the smart one. Which do I pick?

A few pieces of advise I'll give you on a V8 I wish someone drilled onto my head back at that age. BUT, just like any kid you'll most likely have to learn and figure this out on your own....

There will always be someone faster no matter how much money you dump into it.
You will beat most everyone to the gas station.
You can speed in a 4 banger.
The state only wants your money. (meaning if you get a ticket for speeding)
Invest money in the stock market!

A few pieces of advise I'll give you on a V8 I wish someone drilled onto my head back at that age. BUT, just like any kid you'll most likely have to learn and figure this out on your own....

There will always be someone faster no matter how much money you dump into it.
You will beat most everyone to the gas station.
You can speed in a 4 banger.
The state only wants your money. (meaning if you get a ticket for speeding)
Invest money in the stock market!

Some great advice there ^^^^^^^^^

Thanks guys. I know their is always gonna be faster cars, I just always like the v8 American muscle car noise. I have a decent paying job at a restauraunt (good tips) but I have heard that insurance on sports cars is a lot of money. I could probably afford it but I’d like to save a little more. I also have a long drive to my school but I’ll be getting my NIMS (National institute of metalworking skills) certification next week which can get me a machining job near school.

Anyways, since I’ll probably get a Jetta or Passat, can you do any cool upgrades or tuning to those little 2.0L diesels?

Don't spend too much money on your first car. Get what you can afford. Borrow as little as possible as you with learning from mistakes in your first car. You will learn your limits and the cars limits. You will learn that other drivers on the roads are idiots and don't care about your car. You will probably decide its not the car for you anyway and sell it.

Life is full of choices. These choices sometimes have life long lasting effects. Nobody here has a crystal ball to tell you with any certainty how these choices will shape your life. Nor do we have the info needed to really help guide you based on what you would want in life.

What I will say is that a car that looks fast will always get you noticed. This means chicks will dig it, but so will the cops. You will also be a target for people who want to hurt you as well. They will kick it, key it, bust your windows, tag it, etc if they know it’s your pride and joy. So keep this in mind. If you really value a car as part of who you are, just know that these are the types of things you will have to deal with.

As far as a fast vs practical car, it would also depend how much you drive for practical reasons vs joy riding. The more you have to drive for school or work, the more I would lean towards a practical car, and vice versa. If you work in a trade, a truck would be a much better choice. If you drive 100 miles a day, a Tesla would be a good choice. If you just wanna bang gears and chicks, get a muscle car.

I think that’s enough to get my points across for now. What ever you buy, it doesn’t have to be forever, but it does set you down a given path that only you decide. Have fun choosing and stay safe.

Be smart. Learn how to drive and correctly control your vehicle. You don’t need a huge V8 at your age. Get the Jetta TDi. So many young drivers under the age of 20 die from losing control of cars that were too powerful for them. Don’t be another statistic

I was and still am addicted to cars. When I was young like you, I found to pay for it all I had to work hard, and if I was not working I was spending time with friends.
I wish at that time my priorities were better aligned. I should have put college as my first concern! I ended up going to college after getting married and having our first kid. It was harder to do this at 30 years old working full time and doing night school.

The cost of living keeps going up. Homes are very expensive these days... Unless you are one of the lucky few you will need an education to "do well". Cars come and go, but focusing on making a better future for yourself is likely your best focus right now.

*geez I sound like an old guy*

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back