Big Rock Help me decide: Big Rock 3s vs Kraton 4s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTitanium

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite Grom
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Nero
  6. Infraction 4x4
Ok fellas. This might seem like a no-brainer to some, but I tend to overthink things.. a lot actually. Please bear with me as I put this in writing as it helps me. Feel free to weigh in please.

BR has a 3s 3200kv setup. Plastic spur, pinion and crown gears. No center brace. LWB chassis. Love the body as it resembles my Nero Big Rock. Spur and diffs gotta go, no doubt.

Krayton is beefed up with 4s 2400kv setup and all metal gears. Braced XLWB chassis. Not fond of the body, tbh. Also, I’ve been reading that the diff gears don’t last (some go with the CNC steel gears that Arrma offers). An added expense, not that I mind.

If I understood correctly, the 2400kv 4s motor produces more torque than the 3200kv 3s. Right?

I can go the JenRC way and buy everything and build it to my liking. That’s always an option.

How tough are these two? Pros and cons would be appreciated. Yes, I could do a search but I rather have everything in one thread so I refer back to it.

TIA.

Well...my comment is not in line with your question.

When I made my BR a 4S it cost me more would have done better buying a 6S. So I put it back, and left a few upgrades but enjoy it more as a 4S.

In the end, I found I enjoyed a Kraton 6S running at 4S. Not stock, so has better electronics as well as pinion.

What I was looking for was durability so the plastic gears, etc. on the BR changing it to metal just opened new issues. The most important thing I was missing was a center diff.

Sure, you know what you want and not like me...just came out better getting a 6S rig powering at 4S.

Best of luck with a pic (y)

I would probably go with the Big Rock but only because I have other 3S rigs and most of the parts are interchangeable.

We have several 3s RC's. Loads of fun after you get them dialed in and learn how to drive them.

Its in my opinion I wouldn't want to spend anymore on a 3s/4s chassis setup then what the big rock cost....
If your going much over that cost I think a proper 6s chassis rig ran on 4s as @parcou mentioned is the ticket.

The cost of the 4s vs 6s just doesn't make since to me... You get so much more for your money just skipping to the 6s.
$469.99 vs 549.99 so $80 more for 6s capable, better diffs, better chassis, better shocks, better electronics etc... if you get a 4s and just upgrade the diffs, your already at the cost but with way less overall possibilities with that chassis.

🍻😁👍

IMG_20221003_212557444.jpg

IMG_20221017_204234556.jpg

IMG_20230625_192754519.jpg

🙋hello , I believe I have your solution 🤔..are you ready!
BUY BOTH 😁👍. Cheers🍻
I agree. Buy both, that's what I do. That way you don't have to second guess yourself.
`i also do this, if you cant make up your mind, do both, that way no regrets. youll also learn from this experience and be able to report to us.

Mannnn... I knew some would suggest buying both. Stop gangin' up on me ;)

Ok... both it is. Problem solved.

Thanks fellas. My wallet now hates you all, but she'll get over it.

Mannnn... I knew some would suggest buying both. Stop gangin' up on me ;)

Ok... both it is. Problem solved.

Thanks fellas. My wallet now hates you all, but she'll get over it.
It's only money..you can allways earn more ..we only have one life to live .make a good one and be happy..if times get tough you can allways sell them .I would actually suggest looking on eBay for a used big rock and get a bran new 6s kraton..I always see used big rocks selling for 250 or less .if you didn't want to spend 1k for both new..sometimes you get lucky .just use your judgement.read the reviews and if anything isn't what the seller described you get your money back 100 percent guaranteed.use PayPal for even more buying protection.if you find one cheap enough you can allways put the Xtra money into upgrading parts..just a thought

It's only money..you can allways earn more ..we only have one life to live .make a good one and be happy..if times get tough you can allways sell them .I would actually suggest looking on eBay for a used big rock and get a bran new 6s kraton..I always see used big rocks selling for 250 or less .if you didn't want to spend 1k for both new..sometimes you get lucky .just use your judgement.read the reviews and if anything isn't what the seller described you get your money back 100 percent guaranteed.use PayPal for even more buying protection.if you find one cheap enough you can allways put the Xtra money into upgrading parts..just a thought

Unless I know the seller, I don’t like to buy used stuff. I’m real anal when it comes to my equipment.

Unless I know the seller, I don’t like to buy used stuff. I’m real anal when it comes to my equipment.
I can see that. There’s def something special about a brand new toy.

Buying used is my jam though. Get a great deal and then refurb/build it into exactly what I want. ~75% of my RCs were purchased used.

Yeah I don't blame ya.im the same way .the only used RC I ever got was my outcast that's because I worked with the person.but I have a lot of friends that bought RC's from eBay with awesome luck and awesome deals .

Buying used is my jam though. Get a great deal and then refurb/build it into exactly what I want. ~75% of my RCs were purchased used.
Yeah I hear that alot .a lot of great deals out there .and if the deal is great enough ,you can allways put that Xtra loot in better parts 👍

To each there own, brother. I've gotten a few sweet deals in the past too.

Truth be told, there are many among us that aren't honest and transparent. I've been burnt a few times (think we all have at one point or another). So, ya, not going through the hassle and drama to save a few bucks.

i buy all my rc stuff used, you're going to break it anyway lol or replace half the stuff, so who cares. save some money and use that saved money for upgrades :)
at least thats what i do. either way, get both!!!!

To each there own, brother. I've gotten a few sweet deals in the past too.

Truth be told, there are many among us that aren't honest and transparent. I've been burnt a few times (think we all have at one point or another). So, ya, not going through the hassle and drama to save a few bucks.

Well, there's a Big Rock for sale in the classifieds for 159.00. Fix the spur and you got a lot left for the Kraton 4S. Just saying.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/big-rock-lightly-used-stripped-spur-gear-159.65143/

I buy a lot of mine used too. If I can get it for a good deal. Bought a Big Rock from a pawnshop for 150.00. It had been beat on a bit. Spent 125.00 more to fix it. Bringing it closer to the new price but, that included upgrades. And now it's been completely torn down, diffs rebuilt correctly and better bearings. Fantastic truck now. I call that a win.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/look-what-i-found.62449/#post-937022/

Sure, I've been burned too. But, never so bad that I regretted it. The sweet deals outnumber them any day.

New solution:

1. Buy the new kraton
2. sell the body and chassis
3. order the BR body, chassis, and center driveshaft
4. Transfer everything to the new chassis with the new lid.

I don’t care for the 3s hubs, links, and shafts in addition to the plastic gearing. I also don’t care for the longer chassis on the kraton that is more prone to breaks.

Back