Help please, How to Paint Chrome Color ? Mirror Color Lexan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rccar4life

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon TLR
Check out these paints , real rigs.
How to paint them in RC lexan ?
Transluent bright colors, then chrome/mirror, and finally back with silver ? Or how ?=

green-to-purple-chameleon-paint-1024x1024.jpg

nissan-gt-r-wrapped-in-blue-chrome-photo-gallery_10.jpg

2_5f5d31fe-ec0e-42fe-b9d4-cab9880456fa_1200x630.jpg

i know some of these cars are wrapped.
Anyways, it should be possible come pretty close by painting with
transluent colors and chrome backing ?

all i know is if you use spray cans, you need heat the chrome in hot water and shake very well before paint, also have it sit in warm condition
to get 100% perfect mirror effect.

bright transluent color, then back it mirror should be something like these vinyl cars ?
hmmmm

i need buy some cheap clear plastic sheat and try.

If anyone have succeed already, please help

or best if i can test spray on old soda stuff like these
SL382768.JPG

will these old coca cola bottles be okay test for paints ? after cleaning and cutting

I tried several combinations and tried mixing the candy with chrome backer it just never worked as expected.
You are 100% correct. I found that heat was the key to a good chorme/mirror finish along with tons of very light coats. The lighter the coat the better.

Capture.PNG

Chrome by itself with a heating pad under the part to be painted keeping it around 100 F.

Mirror Capture.PNG

This is chrome vinyl that I put on my 43" RC boat. Easier for a boat that has larger flat surfaces than a RC car....

BluenGoldCapture.JPG

I've used Spazstiks Ultimate Chrome out of a rattle can, it worked pretty good. Use a few even coats, and back with black, and it came out pretty good. I did try to back other colors with chrome, and it never really worked the way I wanted.

As far as the bottles, Yeah, I have used water bottles, catchup bottles, and others as test beds for new color combos. Cut them in half top to bottom and they make a decent approximation of a RC body.

I tried several combinations and tried mixing the candy with chrome backer it just never worked as expected.
You are 100% correct. I found that heat was the key to a good chorme/mirror finish along with tons of very light coats. The lighter the coat the better.

View attachment 232089

Chrome by itself with a heating pad under the part to be painted keeping it around 100 F.

View attachment 232090
This is chrome vinyl that I put on my 43" RC boat. Easier for a boat that has larger flat surfaces than a RC car....

View attachment 232092

There is massive difference between different tecniques used i see.

THAT BOAT , love it, big huge monster. That is a expensive boat ? balsa wood ? You can give it to me please ? i want that :)

Well i will try paint color chrome and show results bad or good, in couple weeks

There is massive difference between different tecniques used i see.

THAT BOAT , love it, big huge monster. That is a expensive boat ? balsa wood ? You can give it to me please ? i want that :)

Well i will try paint color chrome and show results bad or good, in couple weeks

The boat is fiberglass and is 42", the inside has wooden rails where a nitro motor would have been mounted.
I acquired a large number of racing RC boats from 1985-1993 era from an estate sale a while back....
(I took all of these home for around $300.00, it was the deal of a lifetime)

FleetCapture.JPG

I paint a lot of chrome stuff on these rc bodies have never figured out how to do a colored chrome ..and I’ve tried a LOT of different methods and combos ..never even came close to getting it right so I’m not sure how they do it if possible on these rc bodies

The biggest key to shooting chrome on these is to NOT scuff the lexan

The scratches show and it makes it looked like brushed aluminum

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back