Latest paint job, unexpected and cool paint effect from color choices...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Painted a new shell for my custom Bandit a week or so ago. Kind of hated it at first because I forgot the Tamiya light blue can give a cheap painted plastic look (IMO) next to darker metallic paints.😑🤨 Put it away and got it back out a few days later and used some carbon fiber print decals to reduce the amount of light blue showing. Much better now for sure.

I really didn't have a set plan on colors when I started, only the design. Everything was Tamiya rattle cans, I used Tamiya light blue on top, then dark metallic blue for the lower part. Next I removed the masks on the dark blue part and hit them with 3 light coats of translucent purple, then backed that with the dark metallic blue also. Removed the window masks put 2 good coats of black to cover them and give a final backing to everything else.

What happened is the lower part is the same color and intensity of dark blue and purple, but the flat and vertical surface of the body are hit by light at different angles. At times it looks like the panels are not the same colors. More direct light makes it look lighter blue and darker purple, less direct light makes it look dark blue and violet purple.
20230417_075335.jpg

20230417_074716.jpg

Anyway, can't wait to see what it looks like moving in the daylight. 😎
20230417_074530.jpg

20230417_111404.jpg

I just realized that is on an aluminum chassis. Which chassis is that? FLM?

I just realized that is on an aluminum chassis. Which chassis is that? FLM?
Yes, FLM extended Bandit chassis, 1 inch longer than stock, so a 12.25 wheelbase. Also has holes for reversing the transmission.
I started with the stock transmission position for about 10 packs then reversed it, much easier to keep the front down that way, lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back