Help with soldering temps ect

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OG*GOBLIN

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
So I picked up a soldering kit. Never used one before. I have 2 3s batts to power my hot racing fan but the fan came with the single prong deans connector. I picked up some xt30 connectors(because the 850mah 3s had it) and I need to solder on connectors to the fan and also the 1000mah battery to make it all compatible. I also picked up some heat shrink tubing to cover the connection points. What temp am I looking at to use doing this? Do I just heat up the wires from the fan and connector or do I need to add some solder wire to it also? Any guidance would be much appreciated. I'll add pics of what I have.
PXL_20220104_020553630.MP.jpg
PXL_20220104_020608462.jpg

If you haven't already gone ahead and done it...

Most electrical solder joints are performed between 300-400 degrees Celsius. For our purposes, you don't really need to be exact. Many, if not most people probably just crank the head to "high" and go to town. But, since you have the ability to dial in a specific temp, I find that 360-380C does very well for soldering Lipo connections. I stay around 320-340C when doing things like capacitors or DC power jacks.

Watch soldering basics on YouTube. I did, several of them, and can do a pretty decent job.

Watch soldering basics on YouTube. I did, several of them, and can do a pretty decent job.
Yeah I really need to do that because I quickly realized it wasn't as easy as thought it would be. I used the iron to melt the solder on the positive and negative on a connector. After getting it hot enough they came out easy, but me trying to solder on new wires was a disaster 🤣. Not having any way to secure any of the things I was working on didn't help either.
Yeah I really need to do that because I quickly realized it wasn't as easy as thought it would be. I used the iron to melt the solder on the positive and negative on a connector. After getting it hot enough they came out easy, but me trying to solder on new wires was a disaster 🤣. Not having any way to secure any of the things I was working on didn't help either. So bad I just cut it off.
PXL_20220106_215702256.MP.jpg

Tinning and flux will help and always heat the wire not the solder. Hold the solder to the wire as you heat it and when it's the right temp the solder will flow in to the wire, else you get a cold solder joint and that's no bueno.

Tinning and flux will help and always heat the wire not the solder. Hold the solder to the wire as you heat it and when it's the right temp the solder will flow in to the wire, else you get a cold solder joint and that's no bueno.
Thank you. To get the end of the wire into the connectors that still have solder on it what do I do? At the moment I don't have plain connectors, only ones wired to a different type. I thought I'd just heat them up, pull the wires out and solder new wires in. Sounded simple but with them already having solder on them I was just making a mess. I just need some more free time instead of trying to rush it because family and kids and all🤷 I only have stuff like this that's already wired.
PXL_20220106_222142560.MP.jpg

Connectors are assemblies, wires with pins inserted in to the connector and barbed in most cases. If it were me I'd use a pin tool to disassemble the connector (remove the wires from it) and repair the wires, then re-insert in to the connector.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XWD944Q
Yes, that's something I need. I'll order it. Thank you

didnt see anyone mention the size of the solder wire. too small or too large and your wires will get too hot from the longer exposed time melting the jacket and/or f'ing up the esc or whatever youre soldering. keep the head clean as possible through out the job. my .02 :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back