First soldering station!! X-Tronic 3090 Pro X šŸ”„

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a Spektrum solder.. I based mine off that but next time I will make sure to use less, I already knew it was loaded up but I was worried about a "cold" joint and I should of wiped my tip off more.. I think that was the main cause of it globbing up!! šŸ«£

IMG_20230806_204120508_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230806_204133060_HDR.jpg

Here is a Spektrum solder.. I based mine off that but next time I will make sure to use less, I already knew it was loaded up but I was worried about a "cold" joint and I should of wiped my tip off more.. I think that was the main cause of it globbing up!! šŸ«£

View attachment 315776

View attachment 315777

I would suggest you insulate that center signal contact before you clip on the retrain cap.

I said I figured.. and are you waiting on yours to crap out..
I'm not 100% on that but it makes sense as we do not have a lot of electronics fabs here in the US. Other things just get in the way of me buying one.

I would suggest you insulate that center signal contact before you clip on the retrain cap.
Must of been the lighting or angle of the pic..

IMG_20230806_205753835_HDR.jpg

Your solder appears to be standard 60/40 lead type. Perfect. Leaded is best for what little soldering you will do. What I prefer. A lower melting point. For quicker soldering.
The Green guys will say otherwise, feeling Lead-Free is safest. Not true. Just as bad with other chemicals ( Flux etc) Only for mass production factory use, Iead-free is generally mandated.
Use the larger blunt tip for connector/ large 8-12 guage work. Small pencil tip for 18-22 guage wires.
I like 750F ish temp settings. Get a Third hand to hold your work as you solder.
Preparation is key. The actual soldering is done quickly. Shiny joints are good ones. Tug on your joints well to verify. Dull joints are "Cold joints". Not what you want. They can come apart easily leading to dead shorts etc. After soldering a good joint, wipe the joint with a solvent or alcohol to remove any excess Flux that remains. Or it can potentially leave acid on the joint and it corrodes the wires over time. Make sure to "Pre-tin" your New never used soldering tips. Important. Many videos in regards. Use a water moistened sponge and/or a brass wool cup to clean and wipe the tip between each and every solder application.
Soldering is almost like a hobby unto itself. Make sure ventilation is good. A fan sucking smoke away from the work table and you as you solder is important. Keep children far away. This a given.
I learned soldering best through this RC hobby. It is a hobby within my RC hobby. At least for me.
Watch many videos. Some appear different than others. After a while you will see the main theme of how it is done right. I watched a very old vintage videos about Soldering. A 101 class vocational video. I found it corny, however very simple to understand. And the same theory holds true today.
Practice soldering on scrap wires and connectors if you have them around. Takes a bit getting comfortable with it. It is rewarding however. You learn by doing it more and more. And burning your fingers less.:LOL:

Nice soldering station there.
Good luck with your new Toy.(y):cool:

I should of read this through better, I did not swap the tip for the signal wire, now I know!!šŸ«”

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back