Hobbywing Max6 ESC light stays red on startup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardRCdriver

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a hobbywing Max6 ESC and 1650kv motor, and I plugged it in and ran it once. The power source got disconnected from the ESC mid run, and after that when I turned it on it would have a red light and blink green for a short time every 3 seconds. I also noticed that if I hold the set button, the light simply turns off every three seconds, and is still red. I have looked at all the manuals and other forums online and couldn't really find anything exactly like this. Is my ESC repairable or do I need to get a replacement?

Screenshot_20221229-175523.png

Your ESC is almost certainly fine. Recalibrate it from scratch, set your throttle and brake endpoints, and don’t forget to set your steering endpoints. And make sure your battery connections are velcroed down. So if your rig takes a hit the battery leads don’t get disconnected.
And hey, welcome to the forum!

+1
Could just be a F/W hiccup, due to an immediate power disconnect while running it.
Plugs need to be secured well. Can't neglect this. Dangerous if a disconnect occurs and the rig is rolling fast.
What Connectors were you running? EC's, XT's or worse, Deans T-plugs? Hope not the latter. :giggle:

Yes, I believe that is what happened. I was using the new style Traxxas connectors, and one of the terminals popped out. How would I resolve this?

First and foremost toss the Trx connectors. (n) (n) They are known to always disconnect if you just sneeze at them. Bad choice. Not sure how invested you are into those Trx Connectors. :unsure:
I run XT90's or XT90-S ( anti-spark).
But if running 8s ( Max6), larger bullet QS8's all the way. And don't look back. They are also Anti-Spark type connectors. Important for high voltage packs.

First and foremost toss the Trx connectors. (n) (n) They are known to always disconnect if you just sneeze at them.
I run XT90's or XT90-S ( anti-spark).
But if running 8s, larger bullet QS8's all the way. And don't look back. They are also Anti-Spark type connectors. Important for high voltage packs.
Yeah, I removed the Traxxas connectors and I am now trying to run it on IC5s, but the light stays red even if I have reliable connectors on the ESC. Is there a way to like reset the ESC status?

The HW manual should tell you how to do a reset. But if you can't, Try an ESC/Radio Calibration, like @Dan B. stated.
If you get no response, it coud be a bricked ESC. That broken Trx connector pin that came out may have dead shorted the ESC Mains circuit. Worse case.
I believe there is a LED trouble code flow chart somewhere, indicating what your light sequence means more specifically.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back