Kraton How do you like your punch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if
Set punch to max (or almost max), but lower the motor timing from 22.5 to 15 or so. Would that make sense?

That timing is way to high from the rip.. lower timing around the 0-11 degrees is best for that system.. it will increase torque adding to the punch feel... also you will never miss that high timing in a dirt basher..

Me new as well, hopefully someone knowledgeable chimes in =)
Honestly all Arrma 6s off road should have timing lowered to around the 10-12 area. You lose a bit of top speed but the torque gain is worth the tradeoff. I also rarely use full throttle on the Outcast anyway because it flips over immediately. On road is nice to have the timing cranked for high speed runs but the temps are much better with timing around 10-12 or whatever the middle setting is. The timing setting changes the power band of the motor and increases RPM. Lower timing will move the most torque at the first third of throttle, 10-12 is middle throttle for more torque, and 22 is most torque at top third of throttle.

It's actually the other way. Lower timings = lower temps but, from what I understand, lower max speed.
Done in the same way by programming the ESC, as described in the manual.

👆This is correct.. higher timing, more rpm, more heat..

Lower timing, more torque, less heat..

I’m getting an outcast on Friday so I was gonna full punch it and 1million cst the centre diff straight out the box.. do you make any adjustments to the brakes? I was thinking to make them stronger on the outcast to get it doing some endo’s and that 😃
If you are getting an Outcast 6s.... full punch won't be necessary to make it a backflipping stunt machine. I keep mine dialed back to take it easy on the drivetrain. I'm pretty good on the throttle trigger but its nice to be able to relax sometimes.
It's actually the other way. Lower timings = lower temps but, from what I understand, lower max speed.
Done in the same way by programming the ESC, as described in the manual.
I highly recommend dropping the timing to 15 or below. You won't notice the difference in performance.... you will notice how much cooler things run.

I liked both of you clowns for a vote.... but ROTM rules should be followed. :)
Well my quote was just merely a joke .and I was going to say the same thing you said ,I just didn't want to open a can of worms ...😁👍

Hawaiian Style
1707959233479.png

Very good topic...

I do not have any solid knowledge in this area and have asked this question as a new comer...

I have found with Arrma ESC and Firma motors no performance difference with the default high motor timing compared to the 15deg I set them all to. All my references are towards bashing...

What I do see is a reduction in heat, and I have found that in rare cases where needed, moving the timing up/down is like a +/- 1 add like moving up a pinion.

Max punch, max timing, max gearing, SEND IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Bosch 💥

I liked both of you clowns for a vote.... but ROTM rules should be followed. :)
My pic got removed for violating rules 😂😂😂

Well my quote was just merely a joke .and I was going to say the same thing you said ,I just didn't want to open a can of worms ...😁👍
I was joking as well.. I’ll come back stronger next month 😎

If you are getting an Outcast 6s.... full punch won't be necessary to make it a backflipping stunt machine. I keep mine dialed back to take it easy on the drivetrain. I'm pretty good on the throttle trigger but its nice to be able to relax sometimes.

I highly recommend dropping the timing to 15 or below. You won't notice the difference in performance.... you will notice how much cooler things run.
I’m sticking with the 4s for now, so I’m assuming tweaking it as much as safely possible is the way forward. My Kraton will be for more relaxed driving so that might get dialed back a bit.. I can’t promise though 😂

Do you actually run a risk to the drive train? Are we talking diffs or plastics? So long as I’m not putting the motor and esc at in danger I think I could live with that.

Last edited:
Right so now I understand the timing topic a little more here’s what I think.

I don’t really want more bottom end torque (yet) I just want all of the torque that I do have available with out delay.

So for now I’m gonna max the punch out and get used to that…

here in the uk at this time of year I have no worries about overheating but would you say it’s better for the life of the motor just to turn it down a notch?

I’m sticking with the 4s for now, so I’m assuming tweaking it as much as safely possible is the way forward. My Kraton will be for more relaxed driving so that might get dialed back a bit.. I can’t promise though 😂

Do you actually run a risk to the drive train? Are we talking diffs or plastics? So long as I’m not putting the motor and esc at in danger I think I could live with that.
If you are dropping to 4s it will have the same effect by lowering the power. When you are hard on the trigger or dial up the punch on 6s, your mistakes will show up as broken pins, missing gear teeth, and broken drive cups. To some extent it's part of the learning process, but you will spend more time repairing differentials and doing more upgrades to strengthen the weak points in the drive.

If you are dropping to 4s it will have the same effect by lowering the power. When you are hard on the trigger or dial up the punch on 6s, your mistakes will show up as broken pins, missing gear teeth, and broken drive cups. To some extent it's part of the learning process, but you will spend more time repairing differentials and doing more upgrades to strengthen the weak points in the drive.
It’s only a 4s rig my man

It’s only a 4s rig my man
Ah... you are buying a baby Outcast. I thought when you said you are sticking to 4s for now you meant the battery. Everything I said still applies. Take it out of the box, check the fluids and screws and give it a try before tweaking the ESC up or down. I'm sure you will increase the punch but get a quick feel for things first. :)

Ah... you are buying a baby Outcast. I thought when you said you are sticking to 4s for now you meant the battery. Everything I said still applies. Take it out of the box, check the fluids and screws and give it a try before tweaking the ESC up or down. I'm sure you will increase the punch but get a quick feel for things first. :)
Yeah for sure… I have my reasons for not going 6s..

I’m having a blast with my 4s Kraton, all of our local areas are quite confined compared to what you guys have in the states so I think the 4s works fine.

My next next car I think will be a 6s infraction but who knows 😵‍💫

I watched this video along with the instructions that came with the car. The instructions alone was a little confusing to me.

I punched up the outcast and had a total blast, it was back flipping off everything 😎

Back