How to fix my LiPo..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashingBrian

#ArrmaAddict #RCwhore
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast EXB
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Typhon 6s
Whilst putting my batteries away today I noticed this one has somehow got a damaged balance lead..!!
It looks like it's maybe from the tight fitting Arrma battery tray.?? But tbh I've no idea how it originally happened, it looks like it got sliced but the wire isn't cut all the way through..
There isn't any slack in the wire so I can't tape it up, so what's everyones suggestions for fixing it..???

IMG_7778.jpeg
IMG_7779.jpeg
IMG_7773.jpeg
IMG_7774.jpeg

That battery looks in bad shape. If it were me I would dispose of it and just get new. I take no chances when it comes to lipos.

Whilst putting my batteries away today I noticed this one has somehow got a damaged balance lead..!!
It looks like it's maybe from the tight fitting Arrma battery tray.?? But tbh I've no idea how it originally happened, it looks like it got sliced but the wire isn't cut all the way through..
There isn't any slack in the wire so I can't tape it up, so what's everyones suggestions for fixing it..???

View attachment 306563View attachment 306564View attachment 306565View attachment 306566
Does a battery checker show all cells are good?

Does your charger report similar IR for each cell?

If so then I would try to smooth out those freyed wires if possible or trim them if not (so they can’t poke anything else) and then I would touch it up with some liquid electrical tape and bash on. Although I would also modify the battery tray to keep it from happening again.

As always, keep an eye on it while charging…

Here is what I use for when by drone props slice up my balance wires. I use a toothpick to dab it on carefully. That giant brush it comes with is worthless:

Gardner Bender 07315001126 LTB-400 Liquid Electrical Tape, Easy-on, Waterproof, Indoor/Outdoor Use, Jar, Black, 4 Oz Bottle, 4 Ounce https://a.co/d/4wKD050

Best thing would be to open it up and (depending on how much shorter it would be compared with the others) solder it back on to the tab or, replace that wire (this would entail needing to crimp a new connector for the balance lead - if you don't have a kit, you can pick one up on Amazon incl. crimp pliers for $30-35; I have one and it was a really worthwhile investment). Alternatively, they sell balance connectors with wires attached on Amazon as well. Then just re-solder a new connector. If you've never opened a battery up and have some apprehensions about it, don't sweat it. It's not rocket surgery and repairs are easily made.
1687091619844.jpeg

If that is the only wire that got damaged, I would consider just doing the surgery there. Cut the wire just above the frayed part, slide a piece of small heat shrink over it, then strip the wire back a little, solder it to the frayed section (of course neaten up the frayed part), and slide the heatshrink over it. I would then use E6000 glue for support and keep that section tight to the battery to stop it from moving. Of course keep an eye on it to make sure it stays secure and stay mindful of the repair.

You can also do as mentioned and open up the end of the battery, I've done this to solder on a balance lead from one battery to another, fairly straightforward, just be careful not to short anything while the battery tabs are exposed.

Does a battery checker show all cells are good?

Does your charger report similar IR for each cell?
Need to check, haven't got that far yet..

Best thing would be to open it up and (depending on how much shorter it would be compared with the others) solder it back on to the tab or, replace that wire (this would entail needing to crimp a new connector for the balance lead - if you don't have a kit, you can pick one up on Amazon incl. crimp pliers for $30-35; I have one and it was a really worthwhile investment). Alternatively, they sell balance connectors with wires attached on Amazon as well. Then just re-solder a new connector. If you've never opened a battery up and have some apprehensions about it, don't sweat it. It's not rocket surgery and repairs are easily made.
View attachment 306567

I'm all good with soldering, but not to sure about opening a LiPo up to re-solder it 🤯🤯🤯🤣

If the battery cells etc all turn out to be ok, I might just dab solder over the break the tape it up....

Need to check, haven't got that far yet..

I'm all good with soldering, but not to sure about opening a LiPo up to re-solder it 🤯🤯🤯🤣

If the battery cells etc all turn out to be ok, I might just dab solder over the break the tape it up....
I feel you, I was really uneasy about opening the battery up myself. But then, once I did, I realized it's not as scary as I made it out to be in my mind. The battery in that pic up there...it and it's brother (both 4S2P 8000mAh lipos) have since been surgically split up into four 2S batteries. I'll readily admit that I was, again, more than a bit uneasy when I cut through the tab to split the packs in half. But, in the end, it was as easy and straightforward as could be. What I'm getting at is...don't make it out to be more than it is. Take your time and, above all, really think about what it is you're doing. I'm not saying to be reckless and let the chips fall where they may. Lipos are no joke when they go up. But I came to realize that I had hyped them up in my mind to be something way scarier than they are. Be thoughtful, treat them with the requisite respect and you'll be fine.
1687112908739.jpeg

I feel you, I was really uneasy about opening the battery up myself. But then, once I did, I realized it's not as scary as I made it out to be in my mind. The battery in that pic up there...it and it's brother (both 4S2P 8000mAh lipos) have since been surgically split up into four 2S batteries. I'll readily admit that I was, again, more than a bit uneasy when I cut through the tab to split the packs in half. But, in the end, it was as easy and straightforward as could be. What I'm getting at is...don't make it out to be more than it is. Take your time and, above all, really think about what it is you're doing. I'm not saying to be reckless and let the chips fall where they may. Lipos are no joke when they go up. But I came to realize that I had hyped them up in my mind to be something way scarier than they are. Be thoughtful, treat them with the requisite respect and you'll be fine.
View attachment 306634
I tried to do that once. Issue is the alluminum pads were welded together and not soldered. Ne solder wouldnt stick to the naked pads. Ended up converting My 3s lipos to 2s by removing a cell that had its terminal ripped.

I tried to do that once. Issue is the alluminum pads were welded together and not soldered. Ne solder wouldnt stick to the naked pads. Ended up converting My 3s lipos to 2s by removing a cell that had its terminal ripped.
All I did was solder wires to where they were already soldered to. I don't think it would have stuck to the tabs otherwise. I was only able to get solder to stick to where it already was. Outside of that area it would just bead off.

Last edited:
All I did was solder wires to where they were already soldered to. I don't think it would have stuck to the tabs otherwise. I was only able to get solder to stick to where it already was. Outside of that area it would just bead off of.
what gauge were the wires?

If there is still enough wire to make a good connection I’d strengthen the connection with sone solder and cover it with electrical. Check the IR on a lipo checker or charger. If still OK, I’d use it, if not get a new one. I had the same in the Fireteam battery box where I rotated the lipo in the box due to the short wires. Did not see the sharo edges in the battery box, which resulted in a cut in one of the lipo wires (only a couple of strings were cut).

If it’s not fully severed, de pin the wire from the balance lead with a dental pick or something similar. Then slide a piece of heat shrink over it. Bam, back to bashing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back