Broken fan parts fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decline225

Reaction score
This in my opinion is the best/correct way to keep fans from breaking due to hard landings (or shocking). This fix however will do nothing for fans breaking due to debri. I’ve done this for years and have had none break due to shocking. Most people have figured out that hard landings or impacts can cause the fan frame and or blades to break which is due to the fan compressing so fast and hard when making contact with the frame of the fan and having no dampening. I’ve seen fixes usually consisting of rubber padding fixed between the fan frame and esc/motor heatsink(or mount) which works great but you can’t tighten the screws down very much or it defeats the whole idea and it’s not truly dampening what parts are actually hitting each other which is the fan itself hitting the frame of the fan, more specifically where bottom of the fan shaft is located which is just hard plastic sometimes with a nylon washer.

It’s this spot that gets “shocked” when impacted by a hard landing ect and wants to break parts. To mitigate this is to make sure this area never gets shocked. Dampening this specific area is again in my opinion the true fix. I’ve found running a micro o-ring there creates more than enough dampening for the fan to not break. I found this out wondering why my factory Mojave blx spectrum fan never seemed to break with really hard landings. I took it apart one day and found there was a very small spring in the area I’m referring to, which was cushioning the fan. I came across another fan from eBay around the same time and when the blades finally broke via a rock I took it apart and found a tiny oring in the same spot as the spectrum spring. So both of these fans lasted so long and didn’t break due to hard impacts because they were cushioned with either a spring or an O-ring. That’s pretty much it! But know you can tighten the fan screws down tight or not have to use thread locker every time.

The most important thing with this modification is to make sure that the fan still spins freely and doesn’t have any drag because of the tolerance being too tight. Not all fans are the same, my rocket fans have a nylon washer which I had to remove and replaced with an o-ring which actually came from one of my old fans. I prefer the o-ring to the spring. The only issue being it’s really difficult to find orings with a small enough cross section being around 0.7mm. 1mm is usually too big causing it to bind. Watch o ring kits contain 2 useable sizes aswell as the small clear cap bleeder orings in the losi Baja Rey shock kit(on right side in photo). Hopefully a few of you find this information good to know at least.

IMG_2237.jpeg

IMG_2238.jpeg

IMG_2239.jpeg

IMG_2240.jpeg

IMG_2244.jpeg

IMG_2245.jpeg

This is perfect for a 3D printer to print up exact tiny parts..

All one needs is to install a 0.1mm nozzle and print up some o-rings in TPU filaments.

All one needs is to install a 0.1mm nozzle and print up some o-rings in TPU filaments.

Yes, ninjaflex or cheetah flex would be two good options.. but I bet you can get a lot of those o-rings for little money..

Love it! If you were to do that and sell them id definitely buy them from you, and over pay to be honest just to have that precise fit.
Yes, ninjaflex or cheetah flex would be two good options.. but I bet you can get a lot of those o-rings for little money..
I contacted a few o-ring manufacturers online. I just don’t know what the minimum quantity requirement is. I’m pretty sure it’s all mass production for hospital equipment ect but we’ll see what they say when they get back to me, maybe they’ll sell just 100pc

Love it! If you were to do that and sell them id definitely buy them from you, and over pay to be honest just to have that precise fit.

I contacted a few o-ring manufacturers online. I just don’t know what the minimum quantity requirement is. I’m pretty sure it’s all mass production for hospital equipment ect but we’ll see what they say when they get back to me, maybe they’ll sell just 100pc

Just hit Amazon... Plenty to be had.. cheap..

uxcell Silicone O-Ring, 4mm OD, 2mm ID, 1mm Width, VMQ Seal Rings Gasket, Red, Pack of 30 https://a.co/d/2NlOpdm

too big, the width of those is 1mm and that’s cause the fan to hang up and not spin
what is the thickness of the nylon washer?

Pulled one apart.. I see they are .5mm thick..

Last edited:
Sorry I d
what is the thickness of the nylon washer?

Pulled one apart.. I see they are .5mm thick..
you can always try it, like I said in the post not all fans are the same so some may have more room to play with that’ll allow a 1mm thick o-ring. I haven’t found one yet that'll accept a 1mm o-ring but I’ve only dealt with a few fans
Sorry I d
Here you go...

60PCS Rubber Black NBR CS 0.5mm Thickness Watch O Ring Gasket Waterproof Nitrile Rubber o Ring,3x2x0.5mm https://a.co/d/8DH1p1l
nice good work!!! Sucks that it’s $22 tho

Last edited:
Sorry I d

you can always try it, like I said in the post not all fans are the same so some may have more room to play with that’ll allow a 1mm thick o-ring. I haven’t found one yet that'll accept a 1mm o-ring but I’ve only dealt with a few fans
Sorry I d

nice good work!!! Sucks that it’s $22 tho

It's a lot of o-rings for the 22 bucks.. 🤷

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back