How to you store your Tires ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rccar4life

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon TLR
Hi i have many cars
more than 20 of them

And i am a Wheel Hooker also.
I have 3-5 extra sets to almost every car.

Sometimes i don't use all the cars more than 2-3 times year
so some tyres last long,
i have them in extra refrigerator in my basement

i did buy one second hand fullsize refrigerator for 80bucks only 1year old couple years ago
they are in dark with temp of 5+ celcius , about 35 fahrenheit
and i like it

they feel fresh and brand new after 2years
The ones i run 2-3 times and had in my basement 2years without refrigerator feels more dry and hard
compared to same batch in my refrigerator

So today i have them all in refrigerator
Before i had 50/50 wheels and Beer there.

Now i have only RC Wheels LOL

Real rubber is best fresh.
Storage them in refrigerator helps them keep fresh many years i have seen now.

If you have like me , many cars, alot extra wheels, and some stay long in storage
then think about buy one refrigerator is my tip

PEACE

What keeps rubber/tires healthy is low exposure to humidity (the goal is 20-50%...you need some humidity in the air), and away from rapidly fluctuating temperatures and humidity levels. By keeping them in a refrigerator, you are exposing them to low levels of humidity since a properly working refrigerator sees humidity levels around 25-30% so long as the door is not opened overly frequently. Generally, the colder the environment, the lower the humidity, though sub-freezing temperatures are typically not good for most rubber compounds. However, you don't have to use a refrigerator, you can achieve low humidity pretty much anywhere. I keep unused tires and spare electronics and bearings sealed in bags in a gasket-sealed cabinet with rice grains that serve as a desiccant. The rice gets changed out every few months. This is the same way I store guns in the safe. Humidity is maintained at 35%. I've taken 10 year old sets of tires out that looked and felt like they were manufactured that day.

The tires on my cars stay off the ground just as my 1:1 hot rods that sit on jack stands. All my others either stay in a plastic storage container with lid on or a shelf sitting on sidewalls. All inside home.

I keep all my RC electric and nitro Monster Trucks , Buggies and cars off the ground , it also keeps the springs from loosing there tension . I keep all my 1/10 and 1/8 spare tires hanging from the rafters with buggies cords . the 1/16 tires I just stack .

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Mine are in Ziploc bags under my bed. House humidity is a stable 40%, temps a stable 77 degrees and what’s under the bed is relatively safe from kids and dogs 🤷‍♂️
Of course the ones that are on my cars are shoved in the garage, on the cars on blocks.

Costco storage container with a few dry packets.

I searched on storing tires and ran across this old thread.

I have collected a good amount. Living in the West TN (Memphis region) gets damn hot, humid like an oven, hell we can see deep cold also in single digits. I keep all my RC tires in a cabinet in the garage, not in a bag but sitting stacked on a shelf. I have not used some tires in 1-2 years, but I will.

I am trying to get an answer to whether I need to bring them into the house????
Do I need to put them in a large plastic bag???

I paid too much for them to dry out...

What keeps rubber/tires healthy is low exposure to humidity (the goal is 20-50%...you need some humidity in the air), and away from rapidly fluctuating temperatures and humidity levels. By keeping them in a refrigerator, you are exposing them to low levels of humidity since a properly working refrigerator sees humidity levels around 25-30% so long as the door is not opened overly frequently. Generally, the colder the environment, the lower the humidity, though sub-freezing temperatures are typically not good for most rubber compounds. However, you don't have to use a refrigerator, you can achieve low humidity pretty much anywhere. I keep unused tires and spare electronics and bearings sealed in bags in a gasket-sealed cabinet with rice grains that serve as a desiccant. The rice gets changed out every few months. This is the same way I store guns in the safe. Humidity is maintained at 35%. I've taken 10 year old sets of tires out that looked and felt like they were manufactured that day.

I cannot refrig are you referring to any rice grains?

Mine are in Ziploc bags under my bed. House humidity is a stable 40%, temps a stable 77 degrees and what’s under the bed is relatively safe from kids and dogs 🤷‍♂️
Of course the ones that are on my cars are shoved in the garage, on the cars on blocks.

Sounds like something I can do...

Costco storage container with a few dry packets.

When you say dry packets...what are you referring to?

Thx

100g Rechargeable Desiccant Pack - Moisture Absorbing Bag - Desiccant Dehumidifier for Storage Bins and Totes … https://a.co/d/8C7ilqP

Or something close basicly silica packets

Back