HW 4985 1650kv motor fan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand your point, tho heatsinks are made specifcally to transfer heat easier, correct? Hence fans cooling them.
Lol, also not gonna spend more money on a new heatsink when I have extras of these at the time.
I have many HS that I purchased lying around They just never fit correctly. Trial and error. I found not using them worked better if I coudnt find a perfect fitting one. The Motor Can IS a Heat Sink. Blowing Fans directly to the motor works great alot of the time. The best fans alone are what makes the difference. Not the HS. But many feel they need a HS to mount the fans, yet never consider how well the HS really fits the motor.
Don't get me wrong, a perfect fitting HS is ideal, sometimes efficient enough to not even need fans.
Sometimes I may even use a HS compound/paste on the motor under the HS, used on PC processors HS's to take advantage of better quicker Heat transfer. You truly need a temp gun to experiment with HS setups. Or you are just doing it blind. Wondering why you are still running hot. Pinion changes and all.

Last edited:
I can understand your point, tho heatsinks are made specifcally to transfer heat easier, correct? Hence fans cooling them.
Lol, also not gonna spend more money on a new heatsink when I have extras of these at the time.
Technically the heatsink doesn't transfer heat, it increases the surface area of the object it is attached to.
I have many HS that I purchased lying around They just never fit correctly. Trial and error. I found not using them worked better if I coudnt find a perfect fitting one. The Motor Can IS a Heat Sink. Blowing Fans directly to the motor works great alot of the time. The best fans alone are what makes the difference. Not the HS. But many feel they need a HS to mount the fans, yet never consider how well the HS really fits the motor.
Don't get me wrong, a perfect fitting HS is ideal, sometimes efficient enough to not even need fans.
Sometimes I may even use a HS compound/paste on the motor under the HS, used on PC processors HS's to take advantage of better quicker Heat transfer. You truly need a temp gun to experiment with HS setups. Or you are just doing it blind. Wondering why you are still running hot. Pinion changes and all.
Just a theory of mine but 99.9% of the time with these motors being ribbed the heatsink makes contact with such a small amount of the surface area of the motor can it probably doesn't help as much as people think they do. Smooth motor cans work better with heatsinks do to the fact that the heatsink is making contact with 100% of the motor instead of 50-60%.

What is an ideal way to power one motor fan given that 3S and 6S packs will be used on the vehicle?

On my BLX it looks like the replacement Firma 150A ESC 35mm fan would e a good choice given the bolt pattern on the heat sink. That's an 8V fan that could be run off the spare BEC output from the ESC hanging there? Not sure how much amperage the S652 draws but the Firma ESC is only good for 5A which will likely be tested with a fan drawing another Amp attached or am I wrong on this?

On the EXB will have a 40mm fan and not sure of the model or voltage yet, anything from 3S - 6S? No idea what to get yet aside from dimensions required? Would a BEC spliced into ESC power be the best bet? If so is there a prefered (adjustable) BEC that can handle at least 6S you guys like for this purpose?

All these little details on strange machines are certainly fun and thanks for any comments or suggestions, if what I just typed is clear that is... :) Cheers

What is an ideal way to power one motor fan given that 3S and 6S packs will be used on the vehicle?

On my BLX it looks like the replacement Firma 150A ESC 35mm fan would e a good choice given the bolt pattern on the heat sink. That's an 8V fan that could be run off the spare BEC output from the ESC hanging there? Not sure how much amperage the S652 draws but the Firma ESC is only good for 5A which will likely be tested with a fan drawing another Amp attached or am I wrong on this?

On the EXB will have a 40mm fan and not sure of the model or voltage yet, anything from 3S - 6S? No idea what to get yet aside from dimensions required? Would a BEC spliced into ESC power be the best bet? If so is there a prefered (adjustable) BEC that can handle at least 6S you guys like for this purpose?

All these little details on strange machines are certainly fun and thanks for any comments or suggestions, if what I just typed is clear that is... :) Cheers
One way to do it is with a small 2s or 3s LiPo that powers your fans. Speed runners do it to avoid taking power away from the motor but it can work well to power fans at a higher voltage than your BEC will put out.

Thanks for that but looking for a more compact, elegant solution despite this being easy aside from putting the new fan battery somewhere. Cheers

If you overload the the amp draw of the ESC's BEC circuit, you will get brown outs at best, or worse, a bricked ESC power supply regulator. Ask me how I know?
Total all the amps of the accessories ( fans) combined including the servo and make sure that number doesn't exceed the BEC's amp spec. It's always good to have additional amp overhead (for the servo). Because unlike fans, a servo's amp draw fluctuates dramatically, some servos more than others.
:cool:

Thanks SrC, am aware of all you said but glad you spelled it out and confirmed what I conceptualized in this context! That's why I'm after a standalone solution even to bypass my Max6 despite using a low-draw (compartively) Reefs Tripple 4. :)

I just ordered a couple of EC5 to EC5 in-line adapter with JST pigtails, a Western Robotics Hercules BEC to future-proof my EXB. Already had some micro Matek 1.5A 5/9V adjustables for my BLX185 fan going on my RTR's heatsink. Hoping I can stop wracking my brain over these details anyway and glad they can be solved with simply more money tossed into the universe.

Thanks again for your help here and in general, you and the other heavy-hitters on the forum are a monumental blessing to the rest of us and it's much appreciated. Cheers

Then your options are the BEC/fan port on the ESC or the receiver. Or you can y cord the ESc and motor fans together and run them off the ESC fan plug. What is your BEC set to for volts and Max amps? How many amps will your fans draw at that voltage?

Thanks @L3phturn, really appreciate the help. See my post above for what I'm into.

My Max6 could probably handle the one or two 40mm fans if I don't throw too much torque at my servo but my RTR would be close to ****ing the bed at 5A max or something. It's already running the servo at 7.4V from the factory. BECs off VBAT EC5 adapters, can easily use dual 3S or single 6S.

Cheers

If you overload the the amp draw of the ESC's BEC circuit, you will get brown outs at best, or worse, a bricked ESC power supply regulator. Ask me how I know?
Total all the amps of the accessories ( fans) combined including the servo and make sure that number doesn't exceed the BEC's amp spec. It's always good to have additional amp overhead (for the servo). Because unlike fans, a servo's amp draw fluctuates dramatically, some servos more than others.
:cool:
Like Savox, they have a tendency to be a bit power hungry.

Thanks @L3phturn, really appreciate the help. See my post above for what I'm into.

My Max6 could probably handle the one or two 40mm fans if I don't throw too much torque at my servo but my RTR would be close to ****ing the bed at 5A max or something. It's already running the servo at 7.4V from the factory. BECs off VBAT EC5 adapters, can easily use dual 3S or single 6S.

Cheers
I run 3 4028 nidec ultraflo from 7.4v on max6, on my kraton, and haven't experienced any problems with the amp draw. Got pretty curious what the amp draw was on a single fan, so i hooked it up to my multimeter, and my nidec ultraflo had a amp draw on 0,656 per single fan at 7.4v.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NIDEC-W40S...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
20201212_070632.jpg

Last edited:
I run 3 4028 nidec ultraflo from 7.4v on max6, on my kraton, and haven't experienced any problems with the amp draw. Got pretty curious what the amp draw was on a single fan, so i hooked it up to my multimeter, and my nidec ultraflo had a amp draw on 0,656 per single fan at 7.4v.View attachment 113554
The Hobbystar fans I have on my motor draw 0.6 amps at 8.0v, I don't think you have to be too worried about fans or leds drawing too many amps, servos yes most definitely. I just so happened to notice this a little bit ago when I was checking the motor bearings in my Hobbywing motor.

-edit- They are Trackstar fans not Hobbystar, most likely the same OEM if it matters.

I swear you've read my mind, that's really helpful @Msdn, been wondering all day what the average fan like this draws so thanks a lot. It'd be nice if this was listed with products but it's so negligable for most applications I guess it's not worth the trouble? I wish Nidec made 35mm fans, they seem to be pretty popular. The Scorpion I plan to use on my other rig can't draw much more if any. One of my setups is a done deal but your post will really help with the other. Much appreciated!

Thank-you for chiming in also @slick2500, great timing!

This is the last detail I need to complete this little fan adventure with confidence. Already looking at NewEgg, etc. for a better 35mm fan down the road because not sure how solid the Arrma's are.

I've always overbuilt my models in terms of electronics and power systems so a lot of my reasoning comes from wanting to leave "reserve capacity" wherever I can with my components. Always do this with my aircraft where I could and have rarely been disappointed with the choice. Just weird like that, pretty obssessed with taking care of my gear. It is a bit of a crutch and I have emotional scars from ridicule and derision. :)

Thanks again gents!

I swear you've read my mind, that's really helpful @Msdn, been wondering all day what the average fan like this draws so thanks a lot. It'd be nice if this was listed with products but it's so negligable for most applications I guess it's not worth the trouble? I wish Nidec made 35mm fans, they seem to be pretty popular. The Scorpion I plan to use on my other rig can't draw much more if any. One of my setups is a done deal but your post will really help with the other. Much appreciated!

This is the last detail I need to complete this little fan adventure with confidence. Already looking at NewEgg, etc. for a better 35mm fan down the road because not sure how solid the Arrma's are.

I've always overbuilt my models in terms of electronics and power systems so a lot of my reasoning comes from wanting to leave "reserve capacity" wherever I can with my components. Always do this with my aircraft where I could and have rarely been disappointed with the choice. Just weird like that, pretty obssessed with taking care of my gear. It is a bit of a crutch and I have emotional scars from ridicule and derision. :)

Thanks again gents!
For fans check out NTF and WTF fans I see a lot of people on here using them.

Thanks again gents!
Why do you need a 35mm fan?

Thanks again gents!
When it comes to integrating, mixing and matching electrical components together, attention to detail will make you or break you.
You have a good approach with it. One can never be too obsessed with detail, following electrical fundamentals. Efficiency and balanced circuitry throughout is paramount. It does take much thought and consideration.
You have much exper. with Air Rc. It translates well with Surface Rc. (y)

When it comes to integrating, mixing and matching electrical components together, attention to detail will make you or break you.
You have a good approach with it. One can never be too obsessed with detail, following electrical fundamentals. Efficiency and balanced circuitry throughout is paramount. It does take much thought and consideration.
You have much exper. with Air Rc. It translates well with Surface Rc. (y)

Well thank-you Sir, I appreciate the compliments. However I'm the first to admit I'm too obssessed and OCD with too many things, not altogether healthy in my experience. Even I wish I could relax, wing it a bit and just have fun but never been that type of person. Would be out in the cold without people like you and others here @SrC so I can't say enough how invaluable this forum and all it's experienced members are. An asset to Arrma and the hobby at large to say the least. Really can't express how grateful I am to be a part of it. Cheers all!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back