HW 4985 1650kv motor fan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've gone 2 different routes so far for the HW1650, as well as the similar sized Spektrum 1250.

Yes, the Arrma heatsink does fit the HW1650, but clearance was a bit of the issue due to the fins on the bottom of it. I also don't own a grinder strong enough to take care of them, nor was I going to use a file for 2hrs (lol).

On the HW1650 I'm running a Yeah Racing 1/8 dual heatsink with twin 30mm WTF fans. I had to slowly stretch the heat sink and test fit constantly to get the right curve for the top and bottom pieces. I then used longer screws (I forget what size) to mount them together. I positioned it just right so that I only had to trim a small portion of the body clip for the roll cage to get everything to fit right.

With the Spektrum 1250 I used a de-adonized HW C4 heatsink with the fan off the K8 cooler. They're both 50mm but the Arrma one seemed to push more air. I would've went with the Arrma heatsink, but again, fitting to the chassis was an issue, as well as the height being an issue with the lower Talion body.

The Talion is still a build in progress, So I haven't ran it yet, but I've beaten the hell out of the Kraton that the HW1650 is in and it's worked and held up very well.

I'm also in the process of working with a good buddy to come up with our own fan setups for the common motors used for off-road bashing, inckuding the 4985. As a matter of fact I just got a new 50mm fan in yesterday that should prove to be far more durable and move WAY more air than what's on either of these mltors now. Need to do a lot of testing between us...

MORE TO COME! ???????

With the YR heatsink fitted.. Will the motor still fit in the stock mount? Or are there, due to the added thickness of bottom plate of the heatsink, fitment issues?

That's the problem I had. I stretched and bent it only for the roll hoop pin to get in the way ?

Surely there must be a made-to-fit fan and heatsink out there for a 4985 size can??

Driveshaft was in the way, so took one side of the heatsink off where it was in the way. Added thermal pad, tie wraps and this week a second 40mm fan (ordered two because one took to long to deliver and was impatient.;)). Maybe not the most professional look, but it works!

Attachments

• 754F9A49-DBB0-40C0-9602-6CE4368B4F51.jpeg
    754F9A49-DBB0-40C0-9602-6CE4368B4F51.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 175
  • C54B1D34-8604-4A47-80BF-1A45B20D7273.jpeg
    C54B1D34-8604-4A47-80BF-1A45B20D7273.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 159
Don't mean to resurect a dead discussion and flog a dead horse but the mule is still kicking and I caught one to the midsection...

Seems the most graceful method of cooling the 4985 without "persuading" or "massaging" anything is the Alza Racing 40mm fan mount that attaches to the motor with zipties, worm clamp, etc. When they open for ordering again I'm going to get one and a couple of fan covers. I contacted Hobbywing and they just flat-out said they don't have anything, won't have anything and go to Amain. :)

Don't mean to resurect a dead discussion and flog a dead horse but the mule is still kicking and I caught one to the midsection...

Seems the most graceful method of cooling the 4985 without "persuading" or "massaging" anything is the Alza Racing 40mm fan mount that attaches to the motor with zipties, worm clamp, etc. When they open for ordering again I'm going to get one and a couple of fan covers. I contacted Hobbywing and they just flat-out said they don't have anything, won't have anything and go to Amain. :)
Great idea, but it took me 40 days to receive mine. Hope you got some time on your hands. I went with the K8 heatsink and dual 30mm Power Hobbys. I do have two of the Alza mounts for my build I'm working on now though.

Amazing find ? I will definitely be looking into getting these! I've just seen that they also have a single universal ESC fan mount that can fit both Max8/BLX185 and Max6 ESCs, AND a 40mm carbon fibre fan guard! ?

This one looks awesome too. Have you tried it? How does it clamp around the motor? Are they 30mm fans?

Amazing find ? I will definitely be looking into getting these! I've just seen that they also have a single universal ESC fan mount that can fit both Max8/BLX185 and Max6 ESCs, AND a 40mm carbon fibre fan guard! ?

This one looks awesome too. Have you tried it? How does it clamp around the motor? Are they 30mm fans?
Alza stuff is real nice!??
FB12BF60-6650-4DED-9E6B-6B8948F805E1.jpeg
D6411A4B-57FA-49DC-BF46-A9AB713B4EDD.jpeg
94C01494-0E61-47F6-96A8-991BED64169B.jpeg

@Harriot10 & @Yas, all credit goes to @Ajag from another thread.

40 days wait? Pfft. I have to wait until January 1/2021 just for them to start taking orders again. When most people are trying to stay in business these days, these guys can close-down and take a month off for Christmas. The crazy in this hobby is real sometimes... :)

By the way @Harriot10 , how do you like that PPS Motor Mount? Will be dealing with those myself soon...

That looks pretty nice but being Aliexpress, will anyone who orders it actually receive it? :cool:

Last edited:
@Harriot10 & @Yas, all credit goes to @Ajag from another thread.

40 days wait? Pfft. I have to wait until January 1/2021 just for them to start taking orders again. When most people are trying to stay in business these days, these guys can close-down and take a month off for Christmas. The crazy in this hobby is real sometimes... :)

By the way @Harriot10 , how do you like that PPS Motor Mount? Will be dealing with those myself soon...

That looks pretty nice but being Aliexpress, will anyone who orders it actually receive it? :cool:
I don’t think they want to ship from Thanksgiving to New Years because of how long it would take. The whole COVID thing is making shipping so unpredictable also, even USPS is having issues. Told me yesterday, be patient and my package may take up to 30 days. I must say the Alza stuff is real nice and worth the wait.

Seriously - this is why I don't have a 4985 1650KV on the way for the EXB. Banggood has been solid, but AliExpress... eeehhh - I have zero confidence in them.

What I'd love is a solid vendor in Amazon.ca for the Hobbywing stuff, fans etc. But that tends to not be the case.

Last edited:
Definitely looks like 3d prints where he has mounted the power switch and two fans on the arrma heatsink

Is that arrma heatsink the 4685 part number ARA390296?

Oh I didn't even notice those. I was too distracted by the bling.

Correct, I’ve got a couple 3D printed parts, thanks to another member. I went dual 30mm while waiting on my Alza order. As stated on this thread it’s not easy finding a functional mount for 4985, but I must say this is working perfectly. Running 23t and still cool!??Love the HW combo and just purchased another for my next build.

I went lazy as well. You can stretch the heat sink around the motor and zip tie it down.
View attachment 82880
I know I need to re-solder the wires! Just to show as an example.
That YR heatsink is not good for that 49mm motor can. I see how you have it attached. But hey if it works good enough great.
That heat sink is designed for 42mm cans max. And doesn't make proper and full contact with much of the 49mm can well. Minimal heat transfer between thhe motor and HS. Not efficient enough. You are better served by using fans without that HS blowing directly at the bare motor.
Basically you are blowing cool air to a cool HS. Motor beneath is remaining hotter than it needs to. Actually keeping it hotter than without any HS.
Just me.

That YR heatsink is not good for that 49mm motor can. I see how you have it attached. But hey if it works good enough great.
That heat sink is designed for 42mm cans max. And doesn't make proper and full contact with much of the 49mm can well. Minimal heat transfer between thhe motor and HS. Not efficient enough. You are better served by using fans without that HS blowing directly at the bare motor.
Basically you are blowing cool air to a cool HS. Motor beneath is remaining hotter than it needs to. Actually keeping it hotter than without any HS.
Just me.
I can understand your point, tho heatsinks are made specifcally to transfer heat easier, correct? Hence fans cooling them.
Lol, also not gonna spend more money on a new heatsink when I have extras of these at the time.

If the HS you are using doesn't mate almost perfectly to the motor, there is not much heat transfer from the motor to the heatsink. The motor will stay hotter and cool more slowly because the HS is just blocking air flow. Fan(s) directly pointed to the Motor would be better than using an ill fitting HS..

Exotek makes 1/8 motor fan brackets. An option. I use those on my Tekno. ( no HS there) Also being creative with strong Zip ties will hold fans to a bare motor( no HS) I've done that before also. There are zip ties with retaining holes to bolt on fans. The Home Depot has them. Just some idea. Not all HS fit properly on many Upgrade motors. HS tend to be generic and universal. But don't always fit correctly and completely wrap the motor perfectly. IMO.
One size, 1/8 "fits all", HS's don't all fit well enough. Its all about thermal efficiency.

Just my not so humble n00b opinion but I'd wager money on the Alza/fan combo keeping the motor cooler than the stratched heat sink which is retaining heat if it's not in direct contact with the motor throughout it's contact patch/surface area? Alza/40mm fan will be going on my 4985 when I can get them, it just seems to make more sense to me than a more complicated, potentially less efficient solution. Cheers

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back