Kraton HW Max6 with rocket 4092/4082 (Opinion needed)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harith7oe

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Currently I run HW Max6 1650kv 4985 combo on my Kraton 6s EXB. Now I'm trying to lower down the motor size due to its weight and temp issue as I did not use any fan on the motor. Also to add, 1650kv 4985 is pretty overpowered for my liking.

Planning to swap the 4985 motor to rocket motor but I'm thorn between 4092 1650kv or 4082 1720kv. Which one is the safest one with the lowest temp? Im leaning toward 4082 1720kv due to its weight which are 100g less than the 4985, is there is any major different in power and temp?

TIA

Hey Guys,

Currently I run HW Max6 1650kv 4985 combo on my Kraton 6s EXB. Now I'm trying to lower down the motor size due to its weight and temp issue as I did not use any fan on the motor. Also to add, 1650kv 4985 is pretty overpowered for my liking.

Planning to swap the 4985 motor to rocket motor but I'm thorn between 4092 1650kv or 4082 1720kv. Which one is the safest one with the lowest temp? Im leaning toward 4082 1720kv due to its weight which are 100g less than the 4985, is there is any major different in power and temp?

TIA
Going to a higher Kv will not lower your temp. You need to go lower and gear up accordingly. A lower Kv motor with gearing to match your current speed will run cooler. Welcome!! Ask away with anything you need answers to. This is a great place.
Going to a higher Kv will not lower your temp. You need to go lower and gear up accordingly. A lower Kv motor with gearing to match your current speed will run cooler. Welcome!! Ask away with anything you need answers to. This is a great place.
If the 1650 you have now is overpowered for your liking keep it. Turn the punch down and gear down. Will run cool as a cucumber.

Max6 an tp4050-2100kv run good together,ran mine on 8s in huge Mojave an crazy fast..
TP whore!! :p:ROFLMAO: Just messing with ya.
I've tried them all..lol rocket 1650kv are great 65$ motors,but compared to a smaller 40/82mm tp4050-2100 runs cooler,way more power,handle 8s,better quality for 50$ more....MAJOR diffrences in surpass vs tp in every aspect..500ish gram motor that does this with kraton-mojave on 2.8s

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

TIA
If you're having heat problems with your current setup it's only going to be worse going to a smaller motor and those motors you listed are much smaller diameter than the 4985. I suggest you get a fan mount and some fans and lower the pinion or turn down the max epa/power

If the 1650 you have now is overpowered for your liking keep it. Turn the punch down and gear down. Will run cool as a cucumber.
Im going to lower my punch to 2 and gear down to 16T and see how it goes. Right now Im at level 4 punch with 18t pinion. I have also dismantle everything to check if there is any seized bearing, but everything is fine. Maybe the surrounding temperature also affecting the motor temp, 100f avg temp where I live. Anyway thanks
If you're having heat problems with your current setup it's only going to be worse going to a smaller motor and those motors you listed are much smaller diameter than the 4985. I suggest you get a fan mount and some fans and lower the pinion or turn down the max epa/power
Yes, maybe I need to gear down and add a turbo fan.

I don't think the combo is likely the issue with regards to things running hot. More likely gearing and ambient temps I suspect. 100f is going to be a challenge without fans I think. Another consideration should be the batteries, if they struggle to keep up with the motor/esc needs,voltage sag will create extra heat in those components as well.

Coincidently I’m doing exactly the same. Bought an 4082 1720kv to replace the 4985.

Only had 1 run with the 4082 until now. My findings:
- the 4985 had quite a lot play in the shaft. So in hindsight the high temps might be caused by bad bearings. Ordered new ones just to find out
- I enjoyed the feel/(less) power of the 4082 very much. Still very powerful on 6s but not over the top like the 4985. I am told The 4095 is still a bit much (read the topic I started about the 4985 and 4092)
- temps seemed to be still on the high side after a pack. No exact measurement but I could only tough the motor briefly.

Unfortunately I blew my diff on a bad landing so it will be a while until I can give more info.

Coincidently I’m doing exactly the same. Bought an 4082 1720kv to replace the 4985.

Only had 1 run with the 4082 until now. My findings:
- the 4985 had quite a lot play in the shaft. So in hindsight the high temps might be caused by bad bearings. Ordered new ones just to find out
- I enjoyed the feel/(less) power of the 4082 very much. Still very powerful on 6s but not over the top like the 4985. I am told The 4095 is still a bit much (read the topic I started about the 4985 and 4092)
- temps seemed to be still on the high side after a pack. No exact measurement but I could only tough the motor briefly.

Unfortunately I blew my diff on a bad landing so it will be a while until I can give more info.
I agree, the 4092 is a lil too much for my use but I'll keep running until I get something else. If nothing else,it sure will teach throttle control! LOL
As to the temps, the tell by feel is something that takes alot of experience to really use accurately. What feels hot to most is likely only warm for electronics..130ish F. If I get a reading of 170F(or less)at the end of a pack, I figure it's relatively safe as long as ambient temps don't go up any significant amount. IMO 190 or higher needs to be addressed. This is a very heavily debated topic, but my threshold is 190 before I shut it down.

-UPDATE-
Finally found a 3D printed 4985 motor fan mount. Paired it with turbo fan and definitely it runs cooler now. Manage to maintain same gearing 18t with lvl 2 punch. Just finished a street bash (1 pack lipo), not sure about the temp but I can still touch the motor so no more heat issue for me. If compared to my previous setup I need to stop every 10min due to motor being super hot. Thanks guys really appreciate you help.
IMG_20220515_190222.jpg

Already did that. Man it really helps. Thanks

In my opinion 100*F it is too hot outside to be running an electric rc car even with fans on everything. If you do not have a temp gun buy one. A motor that is still within safe operating temps will be too hot to touch. General rule of thumb is to keep motor temps below 170*F. A 140*F motor can burn your skin in about 5 seconds.

Last edited:
In my opinion 100*F it is too hot outside to be running an electric rc car even with fans on everything. If you do not have a temp gun buy one. A motor that is still within safe operating temps will be too hot to touch. General rule of thumb is to keep motor temps below 170*F. A 140*F motor can burn your skin in about 5 seconds.
Yeap.. I do need a temp gun to get an accurate temp. Anyway thanks for the input.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back