Kraton I just got a Kraton 6s exb, is upgrading the tires to 4s outcast tires needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a Kraton 6s EXB and I think the tires are great. On par with what Traxxas puts on a Sledge. In fact aside from some reports of the servo saver being too tight I don't see anything I would change.

The stock Copperhead 2 tires are excellent tires and going smaller is a downgrade for speed, air control and it's also part of the suspension to cushion the landings. Going smaller on the LWB Kraton is just so odd to me. Makes more sense on the Outcast/Noto due to the SWB and the handling is a bit more reactive.
I have done it on a K6, but it was just to lighten un-sprung weight to take stress off the diffs. Def not an upgrade its a downgrade technically.
But if you're running the same power system on the same LiPo cells, you're actually stressing out the electronics to keep the speed up to where it use to be stock (it's slower now due to the smaller diameter tires) without changing the gearing.

The stock Copperhead 2 tires are excellent tires and going smaller is a downgrade for speed, air control and it's also part of the suspension to cushion the landings. Going smaller on the LWB Kraton is just so odd to me. Makes more sense on the Outcast/Noto due to the SWB and the handling is a bit more reactive.

But if you're running the same power system on the same LiPo cells, you're actually stressing out the electronics to keep the speed up to where it use to be stock (it's slower now due to the smaller diameter tires) without changing the gearing.
Agreed on the first part as I said initially "The stock Copperhead 2 tires are excellent tires and going smaller is a downgrade for speed, air control and it's also part of the suspension to cushion the landings".

But less gearing equals less stress, less heat , and less amps used. Making tires smaller gives less stress on electronics not more. Yes it will slow down a couple mph but not noticeable. I've GPS'd 4s tires on a k6 without adjusting gearing. Again, I did it for less unsprung weight and less stress on the diffs and for that it makes a big difference.

My apologies but what is a LWB Kraton?

The stock CHG2s are good tires. I'm running mainly on grass, so high side bite tires (CH2, Backflip, etc) tend to traction roll. I'm running a slightly smaller tire (~6" vs the stock 6.6"), with less side bite. So, the stock tires are fine for general purpose, but you may find others are best for a given terrain/purpose.

Agreed on the first part as I said initially "The stock Copperhead 2 tires are excellent tires and going smaller is a downgrade for speed, air control and it's also part of the suspension to cushion the landings".

But less gearing equals less stress, less heat , and less amps used. Making tires smaller gives less stress on electronics not more. Yes it will slow down a couple mph but not noticeable. I've GPS'd 4s tires on a k6 without adjusting gearing. Again, I did it for less unsprung weight and less stress on the diffs and for that it makes a big difference.
I run belted MX38 badlands on all my K6 rigs and have no problem with my diffs or unsprung weight. If your tearing up diffs I don't believe its the tire weight vs some other reason.

I have done it on a K6, but it was just to lighten un-sprung weight to take stress off the diffs. Def not an upgrade its a downgrade technically.
Good to know. I'm building a K6. I have a Notorious. I bought 4s BFs for the slider. I can swap over either. 👍
I run belted MX38 badlands on all my K6 rigs and have no problem with my diffs or unsprung weight. If your tearing up diffs I don't believe its the tire weight vs some other reason.
MX38's ? I'll have to look those up.

I just got a Kraton 6s exb, is upgrading the tires to 4s outcast tires needed?
Good replies here. Most already said it run those and save money. Tires are personal to a point. Tires cost money, so I tend to watch and study as many videos as I can for the tires I want for a rig. I also watch to see if they bash in the same conditions I do to match the experience.

Some guys...including me, but a tire for the look and might NOT be the correct application... Find your lane and what works for you (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back