Kraton I'm building a FrankenVette from a Tekno MT410 kit, what Arrma parts/other upgrades should I add? This is my first kit build, my first paint job...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sledgy

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hello!

It's time for my first proper build thread. Everything else has been an RTR and any building is after some breakage :D This all started a month and a half ago when I had a wild hair you know where and decided I wanted to go full redneck and build a Monster Corvette.

My first try was fitting the Protoform C7R 1:8 body on my Sledge...that wasn't going to work when I tried lining the body up with the chassis, so time for Plan B.

I started out with research trying to find chassis with a 360mm wheelbase to match the body. I came up with some options. Some GT2 cars have a 360mm chassis and Scorched sells a pretty sweet chassis that uses Limitless components. Some quick math told me this wasn't going to be a cheap build and I'd end up with a pure street car. Plus it's definitely not a "Monster".

Plan C...enter the Tekno MT 410.3, it has the requisite 360mm WB and it's a Monster Truck. The Monster 'Vette gets a new lease on life! I ordered the MT 410.3 and the Tekin RX8 G3 and a 2650 KV T8 combo. More Perfect Pass servos showed up early today. I've been accumulating paint for weeks now and I think I have that covered.

What advice do you have for a rookie builder? Any MT410 parts I should consider upgrading on my initial build? I thought about going straight to the M2C wide chassis, but that's blowing a couple hundred more bucks this month. I need to see how the body fits on the chassis, and if wider works better, then I'll do the M2C chassis.

Any extremely durable magnetic body mounts you've all run across? I may fashion my own if needed for that extra clean look.

Thanks in advance for the advice and good humor!

20230413_175510.jpg
20230413_180135.jpg

Hello!

It's time for my first proper build thread. Everything else has been an RTR and any building is after some breakage :D This all started a month and a half ago when I had a wild hair you know where and decided I wanted to go full redneck and build a Monster Corvette.

My first try was fitting the Protoform C7R 1:8 body on my Sledge...that wasn't going to work when I tried lining the body up with the chassis, so time for Plan B.

I started out with research trying to find chassis with a 360mm wheelbase to match the body. I came up with some options. Some GT2 cars have a 360mm chassis and Scorched sells a pretty sweet chassis that uses Limitless components. Some quick math told me this wasn't going to be a cheap build and I'd end up with a pure street car. Plus it's definitely not a "Monster".

Plan C...enter the Tekno MT 410.3, it has the requisite 360mm WB and it's a Monster Truck. The Monster 'Vette gets a new lease on life! I ordered the MT 410.3 and the Tekin RX8 G3 and a 2650 KV T8 combo. More Perfect Pass servos showed up early today. I've been accumulating paint for weeks now and I think I have that covered.

What advice do you have for a rookie builder? Any MT410 parts I should consider upgrading on my initial build? I thought about going straight to the M2C wide chassis, but that's blowing a couple hundred more bucks this month. I need to see how the body fits on the chassis, and if wider works better, then I'll do the M2C chassis.

Any extremely durable magnetic body mounts you've all run across? I may fashion my own if needed for that extra clean look.

Thanks in advance for the advice and good humor!

View attachment 292670View attachment 292671
Awesome!! That's gonna be my next build. Already completed the Tekno SCT410.3 build and it was a blast!

Just take your time and research the Tekno forum also. Lots of good info there.

Suggest getting a cheap clear body for another rig (or this one) and practice your 1st paint job on that. I did that and it really helped when I was ready to paint my SCT410.3 body.

Can't wait to see your progress!! (y) 🍻 😁 ✌️

Love the idea! You don’t need any pointers for the kit - Tekno instructions and fitment are all top notch.

Is it too late to return that motor though? The kv rating is too high for the MT410. You won’t be able to gear down enough and the motor will overheat. I would target 1800-2100kv for 4S or 1400-1700kv for 6S. I would also get the longer truggy motor.

Here’s what I’d buy if you want to do 4S and stay with Tekin:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/tekin-...less-esc-motor-combo-2000kv-tektt2336/p776482

Last edited:
Awesome!! That's gonna be my next build. Already completed the Tekno SCT410.3 build and it was a blast!

Just take your time and research the Tekno forum also. Lots of good info there.

Suggest getting a cheap clear body for another rig (or this one) and practice your 1st paint job on that. I did that and it really helped when I was ready to paint my SCT410.3 body.

Can't wait to see your progress!! (y) 🍻 😁 ✌️
Maybe it's time to rebody the Sledge and get some practice paint time in. Any idea if it's possible to use automotive paint with flex additives on a PC shell? I was thinking about painting a body the same Cavalry blue as my Taco.
Love the idea! You don’t need any pointers for the kit - Tekno instructions and fitment are all top notch.

Is it too late to return that motor though? The kv rating is too high for the MT410. You won’t be able to gear down enough and the motor will overheat. I would target 1800-2100kv for 4S or 1400-1700kv for 6S. I would also get the longer truggy motor.

Here’s what I’d buy if you want to do 4S and stay with Tekin:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/tekin-...less-esc-motor-combo-2000kv-tektt2336/p776482
I'm sure I could swap the motor combo. I'll give them a call. Thanks

Maybe it's time to rebody the Sledge and get some practice paint time in. Any idea if it's possible to use automotive paint with flex additives on a PC shell? I was thinking about painting a body the same Cavalry blue as my Taco.

I'm sure I could swap the motor combo. I'll give them a call. Thanks
I've only painted 2 shells, so I'm still a rookie at that. I just use polycarbonate spray cans.

I found another body for my Typhon from JConcepts that's a bit over $30 so a good price for a starter shell to paint. I may run the same colors I plan for the C7R just so I can get a feel for that too

I thought I was going to be busy today, things changed so I'm starting my MT410 build now. I will try and keep progress updated. I intend to include the good, the bad, the ugly... this should be more informative, you learn from my mistakes, I'll benefit from your wisdom.

I sent back the Buggy Tekin Combo, the 2250 Truggy Tekin Combo will be here soon.

Practice body enroute as well. Painting suggestions welcome as well as specific paint recommendations. This is what I've already got.
20230416_115900.jpg

20230416_115259.jpg

Screenshot_20230416_143925_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Any of you buy a vacuum chamber for degassing diffs, shocks, epoxy, etc? Any recommendations? Also going to be buying a scale...

20230416_184556.jpg

I got the rear together. I'm still waiting on the steel gear due the center diff so I skipped "A" for now. I also striped out a hole so now I need to replace the front gearbox housing...oops. I'm impressed with the quality of the kit and the arms look beefy.

I finally finished the build of the chassis plus electronics. The body I wanted to use isn't going to work so I need another body. The car itself is great. Hauls ass on 4S. Corners great! A huge difference from what I'm used to. The Typhon is the only thing close. I will post more details but probably out of order.

20230423_190654.jpg

20230423_190625.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back