Kraton Is the BLX motor worth keeping?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am starting the tear down work on my recently purchased used Kraton 6s blx. I want to check the car over as it has a bit of rust from sitting in what I presume was a damp garage or basement. Nothing is terribly corroded, just some minor surface rust on the cvds and a few screws. My question is…. Is the BLX motor and ESC worth keeping in the truck, or should I replace it with a spektrum setup from the newer Kraton? Also does anyone know who manufactured the BLX setup for Arrma? It appears to my untrained eye to be a hobbywing.

Tom

The OG BLX185 (150amp) ESC had HW printed underneath on a sticker, usually lost or worn off. But they were HW for sure. Firma's are also.
If the ESC and motor work, nothing wrong with them. Performance will be the same as a new Firma 150, IMHO. I have many old BLX185 ESC motors that still run like new. Maintaining them. No need to upgrade to Firma stuff. If the old are still good. If anything upgrade to HW stuff down the road. Or if you need to now. Motor and/or ESC.(y)

>>>More important is taking the whole motor apart before even running it. Clean it out examine it well. Making note of the shims that will come out and their orientation. Taking the whole rotor out. BB's and all flushed clean with an electrical Contact cleaner spray. If the BB's are fine, just lube them with a drop each of synthetic high temp oil. You can always buy 2 new motor BB's from TRBRC or Jims Bearings. This is commonly done. Don't use a Car motor oil, because of the additive package in them being rough on Chromium BB's. Been there. The OG 2050 blx motor is also the same as the newer Firma 2050kv motors. Just different branding. No performance difference as well.
Show us pix.
:cool:

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I am starting the tear down work on my recently purchased used Kraton 6s blx. I want to check the car over as it has a bit of rust from sitting in what I presume was a damp garage or basement. Nothing is terribly corroded, just some minor surface rust on the cvds and a few screws. My question is…. Is the BLX motor and ESC worth keeping in the truck, or should I replace it with a spektrum setup from the newer Kraton? Also does anyone know who manufactured the BLX setup for Arrma? It appears to my untrained eye to be a hobbywing.

Tom
I am new to the game, but I really like the older 6S BLX motor over the Fima. I have 1-2 I keep on hand. If it is a good motor, change the motor bearings and keep it running. Another reason I am a fan I like that it had ribs to cool it vs the FIRMA motor is smooth. With the ribs, I can attach a fan with just a clamp vs a heat sink and blow air right over the motor ribs.

You are far from new to the RC game. You are too modest. (y)(y):LOL:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back