Typhon Is the Tlr typhon worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMPAGE2092

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
So I have been eying the Tlrt for a while now but was wondering if it will be better than the normal 6s Typhon? Won’t be sending or bashing it hard at all, just mostly want it to try out racing. Would it be better to go with the Tlr and leave it stock or the normal 6s Typhon and put $130 worth of upgrades on it?

Thanks!!!

For racing it absolutely has better quality components and precision with steering/shock/setup adjustments. The front hinge pin containment/caps naturally makes it a less durable monster send basher. You have 4 clamp points to the plastic bulkhead on the TLR instead of 6 on the BLX, and with 7075 alloy it’s going to snap gearbox ears instead of bending towers.

That being said it’s a little heavy for a competition 4S 1/8 track buggy kit, but still better than RTR options from competitors.

For racing it absolutely has better quality components and precision with steering/shock/setup adjustments. The front hinge pin containment/caps naturally makes it a less durable monster send basher. You have 4 clamp points to the plastic bulkhead on the TLR instead of 6 on the BLX, and with 7075 alloy it’s going to snap gearbox ears instead of bending towers.

That being said it’s a little heavy for a competition 4S 1/8 track buggy kit, but still better than RTR options from competitors.
Is it actually $135 better though, or could I make the normal Typhon better with that amount of money?

And I am talking about the rtr tlr.

Is it actually $135 better though, or could I make the normal Typhon better with that amount of money?

Personally would buy a TLR roller to install top notch electronics, but second option would be BLX and upgrade as needed 👍🏼

TLR being $650 RTR vs a competition kit is where it’s a build preference vs plug and play

Personally would buy a TLR roller to install top notch electronics, but second option would be BLX and upgrade as needed 👍🏼

TLR being $650 RTR vs a competition kit is where it’s a build preference vs plug and play
I looked into the roller but the don’t get more till January of 2024. So the Tlr rtr would not be worth my money?

If you’ll be racing and not bashing, the TLR is better for sure. You get pretty complete setup and tuning options that the RTR doesn’t have.

The shocks and tuning options are so so much better on the TLR. definitly go for it if you plan to do any racing.
Even for the small reason of the normal Typhon coming with such a low wing mount and wing that have almost no downforce.

TLR typhoon is on sale on horizon hobby for a 60$ savings now.
I'm just getting back into RC's and am probably going to pick one up after watching some videos i think that's a killer price for what you get.

So I have been eying the Tlrt for a while now but was wondering if it will be better than the normal 6s Typhon? Won’t be sending or bashing it hard at all, just mostly want it to try out racing. Would it be better to go with the Tlr and leave it stock or the normal 6s Typhon and put $130 worth of upgrades on it?

Thanks!!!

My pick is the TLR... Love mine. I am not racing it, only bashing....not sending it to the moon same as you posted, just fun bashing it against my best friend who has the Typhon 6S v5 model. Mine flips, crashes, cartwheels, etc., and no pillow balls or hinge on, etc, has broken.

It's a beast but not a monster LOL. My friend runs his on 6S I run mine on 4S with a larger pinion and better electronics over his stock. With less weight and a larger 21T pinion, we run head to head.

Best of luck on a pick... (y)

1684168428506.png

1684168502356.png

My pick is the TLR... Love mine. I am not racing it, only bashing....not sending it to the moon same as you posted, just fun bashing it against my best friend who has the Typhon 6S v5 model. Mine flips, crashes, cartwheels, etc., and no pillow balls or hinge on, etc, has broken.

It's a beast but not a monster LOL. My friend runs his on 6S I run mine on 4S with a larger pinion and better electronics over his stock. With less weight and a larger 21T pinion, we run head to head.

Best of luck on a pick... (y)

View attachment 299880
View attachment 299881
What electronics are you running? I thought it is the same as the Typhon 6s.

What electronics are you running? I thought it is the same as the Typhon 6s.

Basically, they are the same. TLR comes with little some premium parts over the v5. All the v5 parts will fit if one were swapping the chassis. Here is how I am set up for dirt, farm yard bashing on my bud land that has the v5:

Electronics
- ESC: HW Max8 (not the Max8 G2....although I have a Max8 G2 in a Talion EXB so far it has been great)
- Motor: Arrma BLX4074 2050Kv This is the same motor in the v5 so motor wise I am equal
- Pinion: 21T
- Receiver: 6100AT with AVC
- Servo: ProModeler DS630BLHV (overkill on the servo, but I already had it)
- Diffs: 20/20/10k (works great for me as a basher was in the range of all YT'ers I like were using when I msg them)
- Shocks: 1000cst (80wt)
- Battery China Hobby 4S only. Single battery connection

ESC
- LVC: HW Low
- BEC: 7.4v
- Punch: 3
- Brakes: 75%
- MotorTi: NA or option for the HW ESC like the Firma

Last edited:

For the track, absolutely the TLRT. Just that the RTR Electrics are not best at all for the track. I got my TLRT when it was only available as a roller, not RTR. I put in HW Sensored stuff. ( sensored XR8 Plus/ 2250 kv G3 combo $300.) All set up for 4s running at a track. You really want the TLRT for track use. Plain Typhon is just not best for competition use. Can you do it? Yes. But if you to want learn and USE the adjustability of a track platform, TLRT is the only way to go. Forget about the price difference between the RTR and TLRT RTR. The same electrics that come with both are subpar in precision for Track use. Much depends how serious you are with racing. And Driver ability. If you just want to practice/play on a track, this is different. Bashing but on a track... Most any Club level track rig is running Sensored Electrics in competition.. Is what it is. Or you won't be able to stay on the track, on your lines during competition.
I wish they never discontinued the TLRT As Roller. It was the best deal going. Cost me $369. shipped no tax at the time. I dropped in a DS3235 Servo and and $300. in HW electrics. That was a deal. Now the RTR TLRT seems to be less of a deal IMHO. I would not touch that now, if I was wanting a Buggy. The Spektrum RTR electrics are just for bashing use in the wide open fields, having much less throttle presicion, The RTR radio sucks also for track use. The TLRT as a RTR only, is not the deal anymore. As a roller it was. And all serious Track rigs are always Kits, if not Rollers. Supplying your own electrics to suit.

>>> I would just go straight to a Tekno Buggy, and just spend the extra coin. You will learn so much this way. Then buy a Radiolink RC4GS Radio. ( $60.00) to save some coin. A great track radio, good enough for the track. Has all the features to help dial in the power for a track. The RTR radio is truly lacking with necessary features like Throttle Expo and Steering speed etc. The RTR radio is lame, feels too disconnected. Poor latency response. Just not for confined technical track use.
Consider a Tekno... If you never had one. Build a kit. What I would do in your case. Money better spent in the long run. Parts are easy to get like Arrma.
TLRT cannot hold a candle to a Tekno buggy in a track setting. Quality, materials, fit and finish is tops. You pay a bit more for this. Well worth it.
My 3 cents. :cool:

Last edited:
^^^^ +1

@RAMPAGE2092 good advice

It really comes down to how you bash. I run'em, but I do not run'em to break them. I bash the hell out of my rigs but with respect if that makes sense. Same as with my Lexus IS F-Sport I drive the hell out of it, but I respect the power and the road will not destroy my car even when I am over 7k upward RPMs getting all the power I can. I service the hell out of it like my RCs.

Find your style and go from there...

Same as with my Lexus IS F-Sport. I service the hell out of it like my RCs.
Oh yeah? How often do you shim the diffs and replace the shock fluid on your Lexus, smarty pants?

For the track, absolutely the TLRT. Just that the RTR Electrics are not best at all for the track. I got my TLRT when it was only available as a roller, not RTR. I put in HW Sensored stuff. ( sensored XR8 Plus/ 2250 kv G3 combo $300.) All set up for 4s running at a track. You really want the TLRT for track use. Plain Typhon is just not best for competition use. Can you do it? Yes. But if you to want learn and USE the adjustability of a track platform, TLRT is the only way to go. Forget about the price difference between the RTR and TLRT RTR. The same electrics that come with both are subpar in precision for Track use. Much depends how serious you are with racing. And Driver ability. If you just want to practice/play on a track, this is different. Bashing but on a track... Most any Club level track rig is running Sensored Electrics in competition.. Is what it is. Or you won't be able to stay on the track, on your lines during competition.
I wish they never discontinued the TLRT As Roller. It was the best deal going. Cost me $369. shipped no tax at the time. I dropped in a DS3235 Servo and and $300. in HW electrics. That was a deal. Now the RTR TLRT seems to be less of a deal IMHO. I would not touch that now, if I was wanting a Buggy. The Spektrum RTR electrics are just for bashing use in the wide open fields, having much less throttle presicion, The RTR radio sucks also for track use. The TLRT as a RTR only, is not the deal anymore. As a roller it was. And all serious Track rigs are always Kits, if not Rollers. Supplying your own electrics to suit.

>>> I would just go straight to a Tekno Buggy, and just spend the extra coin. You will learn so much this way. Then buy a Radiolink RC4GS Radio. ( $60.00) to save some coin. A great track radio, good enough for the track. Has all the features to help dial in the power for a track. The RTR radio is truly lacking with necessary features like Throttle Expo and Steering speed etc. The RTR radio is lame, feels too disconnected. Poor latency response. Just not for confined technical track use.
Consider a Tekno... If you never had one. Build a kit. What I would do in your case. Money better spent in the long run. Parts are easy to get like Arrma.
TLRT cannot hold a candle to a Tekno buggy in a track setting. Quality, materials, fit and finish is tops. You pay a bit more for this. Well worth it.
My 3 cents. :cool:
^^^^ +1

@RAMPAGE2092 good advice

It really comes down to how you bash. I run'em, but I do not run'em to break them. I bash the hell out of my rigs but with respect if that makes sense. Same as with my Lexus IS F-Sport I drive the hell out of it, but I respect the power and the road will not destroy my car even when I am over 7k upward RPMs getting all the power I can. I service the hell out of it like my RCs.

Find your style and go from there...
I have looked at the tekno kits but I am only 14 and don’t have enough money. I will just be trying racing and running in my backyard track, so don’t need the top of the line car/electronics.

Oh yeah? How often do you shim the diffs and replace the shock fluid on your Lexus, smarty pants?

All I know is when the Lexus dealership finishes with me on the low services it needs....feels like I have been beaten for every mile on it :LOL:

Good call....Lexus is very LOW maintenance compared to the Dodge, Fords, Chevy, all other cap I have owned (y)

Servicing it was an example to mean I spend a lot of time in my garage checking it over, etc. Picky about my 1-1 cars as the RCs spend hours in the garage...habit from my Dad in heaven so don't bash me for it :LOL:
I have looked at the tekno kits but I am only 14 and don’t have enough money. I will just be trying racing and running in my backyard track, so don’t need the top of the line car/electronics.
You are good Sir....stay in that lane only can do what you can do. All suggestions.... you can run it as it is and still have a lot of fun. Please, enjoy if this hobby stresses you then it is not a hobby (y)

At 14, you are far better than what I had or could have gotten. (y)

Last edited:
All I know is when the Lexus dealership finishes with me on the low services it needs....feels like I have been beaten for every mile on it :LOL:

Good call....Lexus is very LOW maintenance compared to the Dodge, Fords, Chevy, all other cap I have owned (y)

You are good Sir....stay in that lane only can do what you can do. All suggestions.... you can run it as it is and still have a lot of fun. Please, enjoy if this hobby stresses you then it is not a hobby (y)

At 14, you are far better than what I had or could have gotten. (y)
I have been in the hobby for over a year now, when it has gotten just a bit stressful I take breaks, I have many other hobbies I can do while taking a break.

Thanks all for this great advice.

Got ya. 14 yo. My son is 13. I understand.
Then I would go with the regular RTR Typhon. Absolutely. (y) A great starter. Run it on 4s packs, then it will be much more durable and will break less than a TLRT. On 6s Lipos will be a handful though, and will break more easily. On 4s is still plenty fast with a 20-22T pinion. (68Mph) Saving money this way. TLRT is a bit more fragile and breaks because of the TLR Tuned Track adjustability parts. The only parts I break so far.
RTR 6s Typhon is a Great all around platform. Many even speed run with it, to change things up when your driving skills improve, and know the Typhon inside and out. Will hit 100+mph if you want to as a project.
Yeah I would stay away from the 4x4 line Typhon, me personally. It's chassis is all plastic, and of lower quality. Will probably cost more in repairs quite honestly even though it is Much cheaper to buy out the box, over a 6s RTR Typhon, which has a real 1/8 buggy chassis design.

Good luck.
Enjoy.
:cool:

Last edited:
Servicing it was an example to mean I spend a lot of time in my garage checking it over, etc. Picky about my 1-1 cars as the RCs spend hours in the garage...habit from my Dad in heaven so don't bash me for it :LOL:
Just busting your spherical bearings, man. Definitely not bashing you for it. I’m the same way with my 1:1’s. That said, I’m extremely grateful that I don’t need to shim the diffs or service the shocks on those cars on a regular basis!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back