Typhon Is the Tlr typhon worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got ya. 14 yo. My son is 13. I understand.
Then I would go with the regular RTR Typhon. Absolutely. (y) A great starter. Run it on 4s packs, then it will be much more durable and will break less than a TLRT. On 6s Lipos will be a handful though, and will break more easily. On 4s is still plenty fast with a 20-22T pinion. (68Mph) Saving money this way. TLRT is a bit more fragile and breaks because of the TLR Tuned Track adjustability parts. The only parts I break so far.
RTR 6s Typhon is a Great all around platform. Many even speed run with it, to change things up when your driving skills improve, and know the Typhon inside and out. Will hit 100+mph if you want to as a project.
Yeah I would stay away from the 4x4 line Typhon, me personally. It's chassis is all plastic, and of lower quality. Will probably cost more in repairs quite honestly even though it is Much cheaper to buy out the box, over a 6s RTR Typhon, which has a real 1/8 buggy chassis design.

Good luck.
Enjoy.
:cool:
I know about the 4x4 line I have a senton and it has been fun but would not buy another one. I thought the tlrt would be more durable, Is it the inserts for the hinge pins? Will the normal 6s Typhon be ok for racing or will I have to upgrade it? I am fine with that but it will be a learning curve.

@parcou , I am anal about my Highlander also. All my cars. Every single fluid gets changed often. Diffs, Transfer case, Tranny, Pwr Steering flushes, Coolant every 3 years. Brake fluid flushed/bled every 3 years, etc.
I just can't help myself. I bought it new in 06. Doesn't leak anything or burn one drop of oil between 5k mile changes.:LOL: Oil and fluids are cheap. Parts are not. If I'm doing the labor for free. Why not do this?:giggle: I don't need a warranty. I am the warranty. I did work at a Toyota dealer for 8 years. I still get parts discounts.
I know about the 4x4 line I have a senton and it has been fun but would not buy another one. I thought the tlrt would be more durable, Is it the inserts for the hinge pins? Will the normal 6s Typhon be ok for racing or will I have to upgrade it? I am fine with that but it will be a learning curve.
Yes the Pill Inserts is what gets me most of the time. And the Hinge pins are also shorter due to the Pill inserts being there. But that is more Driver error if anything. Love taps can even shatter the Pills, then you lose the hinge Pin somewhere and if you run out of the Correct pills ( there are different types that must match left and right sides when replacing them when one breaks), you need to buy the whole set of 38 pills. :cry: I don't bash my TLRT hard at all. I have other 6s rigs for crazy stuff. If I only had a Track nearby, I would have my TLRT there.
Yeah moving to an Arrma 6s platform from a 4x4 is the smart move. (y)
You will understand better once you do and have it in front of you.
I would recomend when replacing parts like the Ackerman plate and Chassis for instance, you can use the TLRT ones. Makes sense.
I am a bit tired of the Typhon Body looks. Same body for years. Arrma just changed the colors here and there. I have PL Axis Typhon body here to paint up. Been saying this for over a year now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You’ll end up upgrading either one of them as you progress. You said you’re racing on your own track to learn? The regular RTR Typhon doesn’t suck, and it’s a lot cheaper. It will still teach you a lot about setup and hone your skills. They’re great trucks.

I am anal about my Highlander also. Every single fluid gets changed often. Diffs, Trans case, Tranny, Pwr Steering flushes, Coolant evry 3 years. Brake fluid flushed bled every 3 years, etc.
I just can't help myself. I bought it new in 06. doesn't leak anything ro burn one drop of oil between 5k mile changes.:LOL:

Yes the Pill Inserts is what gets me me most of the time. And the Hinge pins are also shorter due to the Pill inserts being there. But that is more user error if anything. I don't bash my TLRT hard at all. I have other 6s rigs for crazy stuff. If I ony had a Track nearby, I would have my TLRT there.
Yeah moving to an Arrma 6s platform from a 4x4 is the smart move. (y)
You will understand better once you do and have it in front of you.
I
Ok, I have seen the complaints about 4x4 line, but it was a very good beginner truck.

I’ll wait and make the decision once I have enough money to buy the tlrt, then I can either buy that or upgrade a 6s Typhon for track racing.

One more question: are the tires on the tlrt good or will they be horrible?

Ok, I have seen the complaints about 4x4 line, but it was a very good beginner truck.

I’ll wait and make the decision once I have enough money to buy the tlrt, then I can either buy that or upgrade a 6s Typhon for track racing.

Yeah any 4x4 is a great beginner truck. Just Logical to move up to the 6s line at some point Yet many keep buying the 4x4 's all the time. And maybe afraid to try a better platform? :unsure: Can't be about the money, because they keep buying 4x4's, When they could have had at least one nice 6s rig in their collection for the price of (2) 4x4 ones.:LOL:
I rather have one good RC than 2 mediocre ones that cost the same when you add it up.

In the beginning, I said go with the TLR. I did not know your age and money factor until the thread grew. I agree with SrC going with the Typhon 6S v5. You can tune it in later, but out of the box, it is a TRUE Arrma basher and will last longer than waiting to collect money for parts for TLR if anything breaks.

I like the stock tires on my Buddies v5. We are on dirt in his field. They hook up well rig is low and stays on the ground and fast. If money was a factor, and it is, I would use the stock tires and, when done, get another set from Jenny's RC and keep going until you find your feet and feel for how you want to bash. He cannot control that 6S power too much he refuses to do 4S. He loses control all the time.

$39 for a full set is a great deal
https://jennysrc.com/collections/no...-tires-wheels-tyres-rims-katar-b-6s-ara8606v5

In the beginning, I said go with the TLR. I did not know your age and money factor until the thread grew. I agree with SrC going with the Typhon 6S v5. You can tune it in later, but out of the box, it is a TRUE Arrma basher and will last longer than waiting to collect money for parts for TLR if anything breaks.

I like the stock tires on my Buddies v5. We are on dirt in his field. They hook up well rig is low and stays on the ground and fast. If money was a factor, and it is, I would use the stock tires and, when done, get another set from Jenny's RC and keep going until you find your feet and feel for how you want to bash. He cannot control that 6S power too much he refuses to do 4S. He loses control all the time.

$39 for a full set is a great deal
https://jennysrc.com/collections/no...-tires-wheels-tyres-rims-katar-b-6s-ara8606v5
What kind of dirt are you running on? I have loose dirt where I live, would they hookup on that. What about buying the tlrt tires for the normal Typhon? Would those be better or are they trash?

What kind of dirt are you running on? I have loose dirt where I live, would they hookup on that. What about buying the tlrt tires for the normal Typhon? Would those be better or are they trash?

Sorry. I am referring to the regular Typhon 6S v5 tires above when I say the gook up good....meaning if you are going with the v5.

TLR tires are what I have, I must have two sets. Stock tires are GREAT when I want to run in dead grass, or like a park, you have patch areas of dirt and then the grass, low grass to die, and hard dirt mixed in or it could be lose still patchy areas. Hard dirt if it rained, then dried and not loose yet. This is a personal choice for me. I like to get some slide and drift when I am on those surfaces, so the stock TLR tire with the little notches still hooks but also allows me some slip/spin so I can power slide on turns on the above. Keep in mind I never run in all grass because the grass is high traction.

I think I posted a picture earlier. I have the PL Badlands MX M2 1/8. When the dirt is fine and very loose...dusty, cloud-like dirt, I need the MX. They have the thread to dig deep and hook up, which is classic for any Badlands tire PL makes.

Again, this is my preference and style. For all my 6S and 3S rigs, I have a set of tires that will allow me to break traction, and I have a set for grip when things are loose and need to stick and go. I never bash on rocks, streets, or any hard surface unless it is an Infraction. I like dirt and very dead grass to the dirt or GOLF Courses... The only grass I will bash on because it is so damn low like carpet on the fairway (I stay off the holes)...that's if I don't get caught! Seniors break the rules also with RCs :LOL:

I bring both sets, and it depends on how the ground looks and feels. Then I pick a set to put on.

EDIT
Watch the video in the link @RAMPAGE2092

Last edited:
I love mine…

IMG_1266.jpeg

69482541238__4843DFB7-1F37-435D-8021-964B0BE5CD15.jpeg

69482539731__E11235A5-E751-40D4-8235-E08163CC26FC.jpeg

69482536709__F2A23C54-8FBD-47FF-83E9-3796A999AFA3.jpeg

69482530994__710F4E64-D015-4A86-BA60-3432F6694180.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back