Kraton Is there a reason for this design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltystevo

Reaction score
Im curious to know whats the point of having a plastic or metal aftermarket rear chassis brace attach to a plastic wing mount?
This doesn't make sense to me can someone please explain?
If it makes no sense why doesn't every aftermarket rear chassis brace maker design the brace to attach to the rear shock tower??
20190323_101746.jpg

It's not attached to the wing mount, it is supported by that small L bracket and the lower part of the wing mount that is connected to the tower (and the upper part of the gearbox)

The wing mount is connected there so impacts from the wing mount will transfer to the bracket, and will not rely only on the shock tower.

Im curious to know whats the point of having a plastic or metal aftermarket rear chassis brace attach to a plastic wing mount?
This doesn't make sense to me can someone please explain?
If it makes no sense why doesn't every aftermarket rear chassis brace maker design the brace to attach to the rear shock tower??
View attachment 59939

M2C agrees with you. M2C 3035 ARRMA KRATON/OUTCAST SERIES REAR SHOCK TOWER BRACE

Description from website:
"Made using 7075-T6 aircraft aluminum. this brace is designed for the rigors of hard bashing.

In a rear end landing the crash pressure is transferred to the bulkhead.

This kit is designed for the Kraton tower to protect the rear bulkhead in a bad crash on the rear end by transfering the pressure into the chassis instead of the

bulkhead thru the center brace."

M2C agrees with you. M2C 3035 ARRMA KRATON/OUTCAST SERIES REAR SHOCK TOWER BRACE

Description from website:
"Made using 7075-T6 aircraft aluminum. this brace is designed for the rigors of hard bashing.

In a rear end landing the crash pressure is transferred to the bulkhead.

This kit is designed for the Kraton tower to protect the rear bulkhead in a bad crash on the rear end by transfering the pressure into the chassis instead of the

bulkhead thru the center brace."
This is correct. The brace and wing mount both transfer forces during a crash primarily to the rear bulkhead. This is obviously less than ideal, but I believe it was implemented by Arrma in order to respond to the desires of its customer base for a more sturdy mid section of the vehicle.

The M2C solution is a massive upgrade in that would be chassis-bending forces are transferred instead to the shock tower, and forces from a rear crash are mostly absorbed by the chassis. That said, if you’re going to bash hard enough to bend the stock chassis and destroy a rear bulkhead, you should consider a full 7075 aluminum upgrade including chassis, rear shock tower, chassis brace(s) and shock tower braces. The T2T brace is rendered pointless.

Yes it’s expensive, but these upgrades make the Kraton tough enough to go to war. Against any terrain, and on any size jump (provided you land right side up), the truck will not only survive but will ask for more.

PS - I hope my wife doesn’t see this picture and realize that my truck was on our dining room table...

Attachments

• C67640B9-EEB3-4183-981B-4A66BD89F50A.jpeg
    C67640B9-EEB3-4183-981B-4A66BD89F50A.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 81
This is correct. The brace and wing mount both transfer forces during a crash primarily to the rear bulkhead. This is obviously less than ideal, but I believe it was implemented by Arrma in order to respond to the desires of its customer base for a more sturdy mid section of the vehicle.

The M2C solution is a massive upgrade in that would be chassis-bending forces are transferred instead to the shock tower, and forces from a rear crash are mostly absorbed by the chassis. That said, if you’re going to bash hard enough to bend the stock chassis and destroy a rear bulkhead, you should consider a full 7075 aluminum upgrade including chassis, rear shock tower, chassis brace(s) and shock tower braces. The T2T brace is rendered pointless.

Yes it’s expensive, but these upgrades make the Kraton tough enough to go to war. Against any terrain, and on any size jump (provided you land right side up), the truck will not only survive but will ask for more.

PS - I hope my wife doesn’t see this picture and realize that my truck was on our dining room table...

IMHO it is a poor man's attempt, at addressing the customer's desire to have a more sturdy mid section. it should have had an alu set up with an allu connection to the tower. If you're gonna do it do it right. Don't get me wrong I love my truck and I'm an Arrma fan. I was just pointing out that the question was valid and the solution as was pointed out; plastic to plastic to metal, is pointless. it won't add any support it will just break. That is why the first upgrade you must do is replace the chassis braces. But, that's just my opinion.

Good looking rig by the way. And you're braver than I am for putting the rig in the dining table ? ? .

Attachments

• Custom Chassis Plate Intalled.jpg
    Custom Chassis Plate Intalled.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Custom Laminated Support Plate - Front and Back.jpg
    Custom Laminated Support Plate - Front and Back.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Side by side of Upgraded Parts.jpg
    Side by side of Upgraded Parts.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 60
Pos =sorted
Long rear skid plate
Tower to tower brace
Problem solved

Attachments

• IMG_20191230_101402.jpg
    IMG_20191230_101402.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 60
Pos =sorted
Long rear skid plate
Tower to tower brace
Problem solved

If only they were still producing parts. I've been watching there site for two months. (Out of stock). And they haven't returned my mails. I'm jealous of your wing mount. I got the TBR.

First Run Aftermath.jpg

? ? ?

Can you drive thru brick walls with that? I bet you can . Seeing photos like that makes me want to buy a CNC machine. And that wing, did you make it?

Last edited:
I'll have a word with someone who might know and get back to you

You would be hard pressed to break the wing mount between those two connections.. even being plastic, a distance as short as that is super rigid... if you break that section of the wing mount you hit something insanely hard, and that section will be the least of your worries...

While m2c made the connection braces, it's not to make that section more rigid... it's to prevent the tall shock towers from snapping the diff case, nothing more...

You would be hard pressed to break the wing mount between those two connections.. even being plastic, a distance as short as that is super rigid... if you break that section of the wing mount you hit something insanely hard, and that section will be the least of your worries...

While m2c made the connection braces, it's not to make that section more rigid... it's to prevent the tall shock towers from snapping the diff case, nothing more...

I guess I misunderstood the point of the original post. That was what I was trying to point out the whole time. The metal braces not plastic will help with rear impact.

Cheers

Can you drive thru brick walls with that? I bet you can . Seeing photos like that makes me want to buy a CNC machine. And that wing, did you make it?
No cnc’$ here, it would be nice though. I use all old school equipment.

The design Arrma uses is a left over buggy design from their team Durango days. It can be help with metal bits but as the op stated it all still goes on a plastic wing mount. I wish some of the aftermarket builders would design their own chassis, brace, tower system and run a tekno eb or et wing mount. It’s very strong. Member @2015GTRBE put one on his Kraton a while back and I was skeptical on how it would hold up. I made my on tower and mounted one and I haven’t broken one tekno mount in over a year.

No cnc’$ here, it would be nice though. I use all old school equipment.

The design Arrma uses is a left over buggy design from their team Durango days. It can be help with metal bits but as the op stated it all still goes on a plastic wing mount. I wish some of the aftermarket builders would design their own chassis, brace, tower system and run a tekno eb or et wing mount. It’s very strong. Member @2015GTRBE put one on his Kraton a while back and I was skeptical on how it would hold up. I made my on tower and mounted one and I haven’t broken one tekno mount in over a year.

Nice hand craft work! I don't see how you did that with had tools, but I don't have and metal crafting experience. I can weld, tap and die stuff. But I wouldn't know where to begin to make the cut and finish that you did.

Nice hand craft work! I don't see how you did that with had tools, but I don't have and metal crafting experience. I can weld, tap and die stuff. But I wouldn't know where to begin to make the cut and finish that you did.
I meant old machine tools. I have a small Bridgeport and Southbend lathe. No cnc just handles and dials. When they were new the US flag had 48 stars...there is quite a bit of hand fitting and crafting with cardboard templates though. There’s a whole lot that can be made with a jig saw, dremel, files and sand paper. My father turned our whole basement into a train layout with a dremel, hobby knife, saw, some plywood and an airbrush when I was a youngster.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back