Is there an easy way to clean paint off of wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Outcast 6s
Hi,
I have a set of wheels i used for a past project and had painted them orange, i want to re-use the wheels but the colour scheme won't match. Is there any way to easily strip the paint off the wheels without damaging the wheels and tyres?

Hi,
I have a set of wheels i used for a past project and had painted them orange, i want to re-use the wheels but the colour scheme won't match. Is there any way to easily strip the paint off the wheels without damaging the wheels and tyres?
What kind of paint did you use on them?
If you have them a light coat you could try using nail polish remover..if that doesn't work try laqur thinner ..or if that doesn't work try wet sanding them but that will take a very long time . detail work.
Is there a easy way? No . everything you try will take time .one wheel at a time . especially the crevice s.
You could use a paint stripper made for plastic use ..Lowes has it or home Depot or I'm sure any hardware store would supply it..

Maybe you could paint over the old stuff?🤷🏼‍♂️
Could ? Yes but if you don't prep that old paint then the new paint won't byte and it's just gonna flake off easy.. honestly if I were you I'd just buy a new set of wheels .they are cheap enough.but that's also depends on your budget.whats cheap for me might be to much for you.. preparing plastic for paint takes time just like anything else.if you rush it then your final finish will show it that you didn't take the time..do it right or don't do it at all..one wheel at a time..if you really want that old paint of try the things I mentioned..wet sanding might be your last resort.use 1000 then follow to 1500 then 3000 for that smooth ass finish.then use a prep sol for plastic finish ./ A cleaner..I'd remove the tires off the rims to get a nice even finish without having to mask off the tire which will be a pain in the ass . especially if you suck at masking..use your thumb to guide the masking tape around the tire edge if you don't plan to remove wheels..then use could use aluminum foil to cover the back side tape that down ..it's more into this than you think lol.i worked for a body shop for 16 years ..I'm a automotive painter..and body man ..now I work on nuclear submarines..for the u.s Navy..so I gave you some advice it's on you to roll with it or say fk it and buy new ones which is what I would do..who knows maybey that old paint isn't to thick and you can wash it off with nail polish remover..try that first..let me know what you decide
Also becarefull with what you use to scrape..I wouldn't use a flathead screwdriver or a scraper or anything thatight leave deep scratches.that would be horrible.if you can't wash it off don't attempt to scrape it..it's gonna look like poop 😁.do it right

It works out about $86 dollars for a new set of wheels and tyres, which i cant justify just because these are the wrong colour. Im not precious about the look, as long as the orange paint is off and its back to black, i wont cry about a few scrape marks.

You were right about the crevices being a female dog

wheel.PNG

That wheel is almost done .if you don't care about little scratches then use a precision flat head driver and soak the area with nail polish remover and scrape the final paint of in the crevices.
You can use a scuff pad .prefer by 3M .red pad or green .which are corse and after you get most of it off use the pad to remove the rest and at the end the scuff it all down to get a even look on the plastic..you'll get a nice flat black look..
It works out about $86 dollars for a new set of wheels and tyres, which i cant justify just because these are the wrong colour. Im not precious about the look, as long as the orange paint is off and its back to black, i wont cry about a few scrape marks.

You were right about the crevices being a female dog

View attachment 291822
Looks by the left over paint you used gloss orange.gloss paint takes longer than flat.and I don't think you prepped them wheels great because if you had I guarantee you would have had headache trying to remove that paint.seems like it's coming off easy..show us when your done bud.good luck keep working it

Last edited:
Hello, I'm in the same situation as you, and I'm considering sanding it, although it requires a lot of work. Have you found the right method to do it? I found a stripper, but I'm unsure of its reliability. Has anyone here used this product before? Thank you in advance.

Hello, I'm in the same situation as you, and I'm considering sanding it, although it requires a lot of work. Have you found the right method to do it? I found a stripper, but I'm unsure of its reliability. Has anyone here used this product before? Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the forum, Hug. Looks like that stripper is for latex or enamel house paints. It might attack plastic.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back