Is this sound a loose slipper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I pulled the motor from my granite the other day to check the drivetrain and everything was fine. When we took it out yesterday it was making this sound and It no longer wheelies off the line. It sounds normal driving around relatively slow but when I hit the trigger this whine happens. I pulled it apart again last night and checked the slipper, resetting it at the one and a half turns out I’ve been running since it was new.

So it’s still making the same nose this morning and I’m thinking that’s what a slipper sounds like as the pads are wearing down, and instead of having it at the normal 1.5 turns out… I need to tighten it instead? Or am I thinking wrong? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

I’m not sure why the below video can’t be viewed. But YouTube is giving me a headache. It’s a high-pitched whine when I hit the throttle.

Last edited:
Yeah I figured it out. Slipper pads have worn over the months. Need to just tighten up.
Hey, the video is unavailable but from what you described with the high pitched sound while on hard throttle definitely sounds like a loose slipper.
Yeah I don’t know what I’m doing wrong with the YouTube video. I attached and reattached it checked the settings, it’s always worked before but this time…blah. But yeah I got on YouTube and searched and searched until I found a couple of videos showing the same sound on Arrma 3s and it is a loose slipper. Makes sense that the pads would wear down over the months. Thanks man!

Yeah I figured it out. Slipper pads have worn over the months. Need to just tighten up.

Yeah I don’t know what I’m doing wrong with the YouTube video. I attached and reattached it checked the settings, it’s always worked before but this time…blah. But yeah I got on YouTube and searched and searched until I found a couple of videos showing the same sound on Arrma 3s and it is a loose slipper. Makes sense that the pads would wear down over the months. Thanks man!
No problem. Glad you got it figured out

Pads are fairly cheap luckily (y)
Yep, putting in an order because that’s one of the few things I don’t have laying around. I have a new slippers assembly from a warranty on my vorteks but I’d rather learn how to work on them.

It may not be the pads wearing down. Those pads can last a very long time. Do you have a V3 Granite that uses the plastic nut at the back of the slipper? I just had my second plastic nut fail. I'm going to use loc-tite instead.

There is a way to check. Tighten the slipper a bit. If the plastic nut loosened, it will probably hold for awhile. Drive it again. Does the slipper work properly again? Now keep driving it. Drive it hard. Does it loosen up again? That's what happened to mine. A new plastic nut fixed it and lasted several runs, but today it failed again.

It may not be the pads wearing down. Those pads can last a very long time. Do you have a V3 Granite that uses the plastic nut at the back of the slipper? I just had my second plastic nut fail. I'm going to use loc-tite instead.

There is a way to check. Tighten the slipper a bit. If the plastic nut loosened, it will probably hold for awhile. Drive it again. Does the slipper work properly again? Now keep driving it. Drive it hard. Does it loosen up again? That's what happened to mine. A new plastic nut fixed it and lasted several runs, but today it failed again.
Yup it’s a V3 and the slipper was loose. I hadn’t really checked it since I first installed it. When I upgraded to brushless I got everything stock off jennys. I tightened it then backed off a turn instead of 1.5 turns and all seems fine after a quick test before a storm blew in. I’ll know more in the morning, adjust as needed and watch it closer from now on. I got a rebuild kit if the plastic screw is bad. Actually got a whole new spur assembly if ever needed. Hoarding parts comes in useful sometimes. Thanks man!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back