Just Bash It-6s servo mount height (pictures added of servo mount types & heights)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We could. I don't mind spacers. But with these powerful servos they can walk the mount. And like @MB401 stated, gosh a bunch of different horns can be used too. Then shims, spacers or washers have to used there at the bellcrank link. Went thru all this with the Notorious. Trying to get my K6 build with as little washers or spacers as possible.
Thanks everyone I appreciate it. Gonna order the reg height JBI solid mount.

I'll post the JBI mount & the servo I'm going with along with the link setup with pics when it gets installed. 😎✌️

Check these out. Eliminates the "servo walk" Yeah Racing also makes their own version
https://reefsrc.com/products/reefs-servo-washers-8pk
Def want to see pics when you get that servo/mount buttoned up!

Did it look like someone else took the picture?
I'm gonna thank the fellas for the pics! Helped me out in the height calculations! 👍 I ordered the Just Bash It reg height solid servo mount for my K6. It should be here on Tuesday. I ordered it from EVS Hobbies USA. The Just Bash It site had a link to them as a certified carrier of their products. Also gave me a coupon code JBIRC to get 5% off the purchase. EVS shipped it the same day, Saturday, and I ordered that morning. When I get it in, I'll post some installed pics! Can't wait to finally get my K6 4990 forever build complete & send it! 😎

Did it look like someone else took the picture?
I was struggling with taking the picture and holding the caliper (I'm right handed) so when I saw @MB401 post pictures I was like why didn't my dumb a-- use my left hand to take the picture

Got the Just Bash It solid aluminum servo mount in today. Nice CNC work & tolerances. Here are some pics. Also, the Power HD 50kg servo came today as well. Got it from RC World. Both delivered on same day. The top of the mounting flange is 0.250" thick. Pic shows OAH at 28.4mm (1.118"). Gives exactly 0.030" of clearance under the servo.

20240416_174049.jpg

20240416_174104.jpg

20240416_174221.jpg

20240416_174151.jpg

It's 1.615" from the chassis to the very top of the servo hat. The Notorious has a Powerhobby mount & a Power HD 40kg same  red series servo & is 1.650", same measurement, to top of hat. I had to use several spacers on it for the link to get the geometry of it level. That's 0.035" less with the JBI. I might just end up getting another one later on for the Notorious to reduce the spacers used.
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated!

Got the Just Bash It solid aluminum servo mount in today. Nice CNC work & tolerances. Here are some pics. Also, the Power HD 50kg servo came today as well. Got it from RC World. Both delivered on same day. The top of the mounting flange is 0.250" thick. Pic shows OAH at 28.4mm (1.118"). Gives exactly 0.030" of clearance under the servo.

View attachment 361266

View attachment 361267

View attachment 361268

View attachment 361269
You’ll be installing your servo with rubber isolators, right? That will lift it up a bit anyway.

You’ll be installing your servo with rubber isolators, right? That will lift it up a bit anyway.
I've not planned on it. Notorious is solid mounted. Should I consider it? I know 0.030" (0.762mm) is close to to chassis. I've read here 1.2-1.5mm clearance

I've not planned on it. Notorious is solid mounted. Should I consider it? I know 0.030" (0.762mm) is close to to chassis. I've read here 1.2-1.5mm clearance
I would never install a servo without using the isolators. The vibration and shock can really take a toll on a servos lifespan. As far as clearance goes, if it fits it fits. I don’t think there would be any reason to have a minimum space under it as long as it doesn’t contact the chassis. But that said, I use the isolators on 100% of my servos.

I would never install a servo without using the isolators. The vibration and shock can really take a toll on a servos lifespan. As far as clearance goes, if it fits it fits. I don’t think there would be any reason to have a minimum space under it as long as it doesn’t contact the chassis. But that said, I use the isolators on 100% of my servos.
Cool. Thanks Dan!

I wasn't aware of that. Good to know, thanks dude! 😁

To rubber mount or not...that is the question? Again, everyone has a preference and I respect everyone's opinion. But, opinions are like (you insert your word, this is a family forum), everyone has one. Anyway, my two cents is that mounting the servo on rubber grommets in an electric car is a waste of time/effort. Back in the old days that was the standard, but modern day servos are way too robust to incur any damage from the vibrations produced by a brushless motor and day to day bashing - you only need to rely on the servo saver to take the impact and spare the gears.

I never run rubber grommets on my servos and to this day I have never noticed any issues. One caveat is that if you run gas/nitro then the hard vibrations from the engine will affect the longevity of the servo and it is recommended by the nitro heads that you run grommets.

To rubber mount or not...that is the question? Again, everyone has a preference and I respect everyone's opinion. But, opinions are like (you insert your word, this is a family forum), everyone has one. Anyway, my two cents is that mounting the servo on rubber grommets in an electric car is a waste of time/effort. Back in the old days that was the standard, but modern day servos are way too robust to incur any damage from the vibrations produced by a brushless motor and day to day bashing - you only need to rely on the servo saver to take the impact and spare the gears.

I never run rubber grommets on my servos and to this day I have never noticed any issues. One caveat is that if you run gas/nitro then the hard vibrations from the engine will affect the longevity of the servo and it is recommended by the nitro heads that you run grommets.
I’m glad to hear that works for you. I’ll continue to protect John’s little children (ProModeler servos) with rubber grommet isolators.

I mocked it all up yesterday. Ended up getting a set of Reefs servo washers with the bosses on the bottom for better locating. Nice! I have some 1/16" Kydex sheet I may make some isolators to achieve a .090" chassis clearance total & some isolation too, w/o having to spend any more $$. Dunno.

Cool that you went with the Reefs servo washers! I now use them on all of my car servos and they work out great. A buddy of my mine suggested using them on my crawler servos, since they put out a large amount of torque and tend to "walk" in the mounts at times. Whether you decide to use rubber grommets comes down to personal choice - I just choose not to use them because I don't see the need. Anyway, would def like to see some pics when you get this baby completed! Cheers!

Cool that you went with the Reefs servo washers! I now use them on all of my car servos and they work out great. A buddy of my mine suggested using them on my crawler servos, since they put out a large amount of torque and tend to "walk" in the mounts at times. Whether you decide to use rubber grommets comes down to personal choice - I just choose not to use them because I don't see the need. Anyway, would def like to see some pics when you get this baby completed! Cheers!
Absolutely! Mocked up its really good, the tolerances. Fits nice! The current setup is a generic 42kg servo & a generic 1" tall aluminum mount. That servo is really tall. I had to get Associated servo washers, like identical to the Reefs, and put the regular non bossed servo washers under it to space it up enough to clear the chassis. So old washers under the servo & Associated on top. Works out but all stacked up really tall. The link would have been way far from the bellcrank. The Power HD & the JBI is perfect w just the Reefs. Lowers the servo arm down & the link will be closer. Better geometry. Imo. Probably gonna work on it here in a bit. I'll post up some pics. Then I can figure out what I need for the link connection to the bellcrank. I have a adjustable link just like the one on my Notorious, works great, can really dial in the steering. That adjustable link is like a camber link. But for a servo. 💥

Absolutely! Mocked up its really good, the tolerances. Fits nice! The current setup is a generic 42kg servo & a generic 1" tall aluminum mount. That servo is really tall. I had to get Associated servo washers, like identical to the Reefs, and put the regular non bossed servo washers under it to space it up enough to clear the chassis. So old washers under the servo & Associated on top. Works out but all stacked up really tall. The link would have been way far from the bellcrank. The Power HD & the JBI is perfect w just the Reefs. Lowers the servo arm down & the link will be closer. Better geometry. Imo. Probably gonna work on it here in a bit. I'll post up some pics. Then I can figure out what I need for the link connection to the bellcrank. I have a adjustable link just like the one on my Notorious, works great, can really dial in the steering. That adjustable link is like a camber link. But for a servo. 💥

Please share the adjustable link!?

Here's the pics of it. It's a GPM brand. I bought it loose, a single, for like 8 bucks I think. Now it's gone from my e bay history. But I found it in another. I'll put it up too

20240419_192856.jpg

20240419_192844.jpg

20240419_192834.jpg

20240419_192818.jpg

20240419_192739.jpg

Please share the adjustable link!?
yes! I second that. I have never come across off-the-shelf adjustable servo links, but have made them from scratch parts when the situation called for it.

Back