Just thinking... probably overkill right?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandracer_NL

Very Active Member
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave EXB
So, now that I‘ve performed a complete maintenance to the car I was thinking what to do with the old and new fans. Was playing around and got this to fit, haven’t tested it with the separate small 2s LiPo will use for fans, but this is probably overkill isn’t it?
Probably better to keep the large fan as spare and put the four small fans on top; or two on top and two on the side?
Any thoughts or experience about cooling from the top and/or the side?

93EDDA1B-73B6-4E15-9C9E-285D6EBFD2F5.jpeg

Last edited:
no such thing as overkill if you can make it work..more cooling is better cooling ;)

I want to make mine water cooled eventually. Get the stuff for boats that will fit the blx motor and making or buying a small radiator/fan, use a nitro fuel tank for the cooling fluid and a small pump...

I want to make mine water cooled eventually. Get the stuff for boats that will fit the blx motor and making or buying a small radiator/fan, use a nitro fuel tank for the cooling fluid and a small pump...

I thought about that too. But finally it is too much weight and take lot of room. Somebody tried to do this on the rcgroups forum, the result was close to disaster.

had some thoughts on water cooling, but according to driftomaniacs, who tried it, there was hardly any gain over a good normal fan system. The thought on water cooling is cool ? though. if you decide to go for it let me know and post it here on the forum.?

I thought about that too. But finally it is too much weight and take lot of room. Somebody tried to do this on the rcgroups forum, the result was close to disaster.
Not if we can micronize it enough ;)

You don't need a huge tank for the water, just something you can use to fill. Matter of fact, you don't even need a tank now that I think about it, just some way to fill and bleed the system...and I have seen small radiators for small gas powered engines somewhere, can't remember where but I've seen them less than 3 inches square and about a quarter inch thick...

It'd be possible without adding a ton of weight if not difficult to find the parts or make them ;)

Also, don't use plain water, use glycol based cooling fluids, they're more efficient at transferring heat and you HAVE to put thermal paste between the motor and heatsync to get any kind of good thermal transfer.

Not if we can micronize it enough ;)

I did work in fluid, pipe, water and fridge system. If you want to cool water enough (because electric motor get really hot) you will need a big radiator. If you make it too small, you will need a very very big fan. And with a too small amount of cooling fluid, it wont be sufficient to work., without talking about the water pomp that rc boats don't have and boats have tons of fresh water which come inside the cooling system because it is an open system.

We can also think about cooling coming from laptop. But they are pretty big for only cooling 1cm², with a motor we would need somthing really more big.

Last edited:
had some thoughts on water cooling, but according to driftomaniacs, who tried it, there was hardly any gain over a good normal fan system. The thought on water cooling is cool ? though. if you decide to go for it let me know and post it here on the forum.?
Is this the video you are talking about? If so I understand why there's little difference because that literally just blows air over the radiator and across the motor, very poor way to transfer the heat...I like the parts though, just needs the motor heatsync from a boat...at least this tells me parts might be available so hope is rising!

This looks more like it, shame bobbyking discontinued:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyki...-with-self-circulating-pump-and-radiator.html

Last edited:
Yes that’s the video. I think he also used water instead of real cooling fluid. So no surprise that that little tank with water he used warmed up quickly. When I looked on ebay etc for rc liquid cooling or water cooling system I found some parts. If I recall correctly a complete set was about € 50.

If we are talking about an extra lipo anyways.. Has anyone on here tried slapping a peltier cooler between the motor and the fan? I would guess that it isn't worth the trouble, but I'm curious.

If we are talking about an extra lipo anyways.. Has anyone on here tried slapping a peltier cooler between the motor and the fan? I would guess that it isn't worth the trouble, but I'm curious.
I hadn't considered peltier device...hm...I'm gonna do some messing around, this might actually be better.

Also, I am not intending on adding any extra batteries, if need be I will feed off the batteries themselves but if all goes well I shouldn't need more than 7 volts so should be able to pass through the receiver or something there of.

Peltiers had a fairly brief spell of popularity with custom performance PC builders, I remember a lot of them generally found them to be inferior to even good air cooling.

Its interesting to experiment with things but water cooling unfortunately just does not lend itself well to the harsh environment that are in most RC cars.

My personal mantra is... Keep it as light and simple as possible and that means air cooling.. I think they could probably improve chassis design to improve motor and ESC heat transfer to the chassis utilising it as a giant heatsink but until Arrma consider improving that... if you have overheating problems either gear down or run at a cooler time of day. :/

EDIT: found this kit, might work with some modding. Ordered one, will test and let y'all know ;)

https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Therm...&sr=8-6#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div
Peltiers had a fairly brief spell of popularity with custom performance PC builders, I remember a lot of them generally found them to be inferior to even good air cooling.

Its interesting to experiment with things but water cooling unfortunately just does not lend itself well to the harsh environment that are in most RC cars.

My personal mantra is... Keep it as light and simple as possible and that means air cooling.. I think they could probably improve chassis design to improve motor and ESC heat transfer to the chassis utilising it as a giant heatsink but until Arrma consider improving that... if you have overheating problems either gear down or run at a cooler time of day. :/
I think your missing the big picture here...this ain't about conserving energy or even cooling really...it's about TINKERING, it's always about the tinker :p

Peltier cooling, had to look that one up?. Interesting, wonder if that would work, I see even small devices need some serious amps.

Yeah... very amp hungry... Your Motor & ESC will have to share the available amperage with the peltier. Not the way forward IMO..
See. https://forum.level1techs.com/t/why-are-peltier-cpu-cooler-not-more-popular/132478
EDIT: found this kit, might work with some modding. Ordered one, will test and let y'all know ;)

https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Therm...&sr=8-6#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

I think your missing the big picture here...this ain't about conserving energy or even cooling really...it's about TINKERING, it's always about the tinker :p

Nope, didn't miss that aspect of it at all.. If you read back.. I did say it was interesting to experiment. ;)

Just don't expect it to be effective.

Last edited:
Yeah... very amp hungry... Your Motor & ESC will have to share the available amperage with the peltier. Not the way forward IMO..
It pulls amperage depending on how hard it has to work. Should be fine, I used to play with these to keep my cooler cool when I did go outside and ran those on 4 AA batteries for over 30 minutes, ended up using two 5 cell nicad packs (in parallel) to run it and it was able to keep the temp around 50°f with an external temp of 90°f for a couple of hours. Combined with ice and not running constantly that little igloo last nearly 6 hours before it would started losing its cool...this was back in the 90's too when these things weren't cheap and before technology improved...I give it a strong maybe this'll work for cooling RC parts;)

Might work better with some sort of shroud and using air flow over the cool side to pass over the esc and motor. This would lower the efficiency a lot but it could provide "cooler" air to the esc which would warm the air up a bit before passing along to the motor but it still should be cooler than the outside air...and, during the winter time you could warm it up by reversing the poles ;)

It pulls amperage depending on how hard it has to work. Should be fine, I used to play with these to keep my cooler cool when I did go outside and ran those on 4 AA batteries for over 30 minutes, ended up using two 5 cell nicad packs (in parallel) to run it and it was able to keep the temp around 50°f with an external temp of 90°f for a couple of hours. Combined with ice and not running constantly that little igloo last nearly 6 hours before it would started losing its cool...this was back in the 90's too when these things weren't cheap and before technology improved...I give it a strong maybe this'll work for cooling RC parts;)

I'm 99% sure I know what your findings will be but by all means have some fun trying it.. Be sure to take meaurements before and after and post back here, its always interesting to try different approaches. I'd never criticise that. :)

I'm 99% sure I know what your findings will be but by all means have some fun trying it.. Be sure to take meaurements before and after and post back here, its always interesting to try different approaches. I'd never criticise that. :)
Yeah, as exposed as it'd be I doubt it'll be efficient but I'ma have fun with it anyhow :p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back