Kraton Kraton 6s diff upgrade question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobs1811

Reaction score
Will be installing Hobbywing MAX6 G2 4990 1650KV combo into upgraded K6S v5 soon. Still have stock plastic diff cases, so was considering to upgrade diffs also.

Was looking at RCAWD diffs since they are on discount and the Vitavon diffs but they cost much more. The RCAWD cases are made from 6061-T6 whereas the Vitavon cases are made from 7075-T6, do you think the Vitavons are really worth the extra cost, both should be better than the stock plastic cases either way right?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...aa1a0a1429781c2187c3967965b&afSmartRedirect=y

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...!sea!UK!761055709!&curPageLogUid=eSnrGLF86mnj

https://www.vitavon-racing.com/prod...7520cr-steel-diff-case-set-31mm-for-arrma-6s/

This year I purchased 5 RCAWD diffs with one being a center diff. I'll layout the issues I've come across:
1) One diff came with the wrong input shaft---RCAWD replaced it quickly
2) All 5 diffs came with the lsd plates backwards. Every single plate was backwards and caused a loud screeching.
3) Out of 3 that I've checked, none had the two required shims behind the big sun gears; they only had one small shim.
4) My center diff grenaded in 5-10 packs. Rear diff grenaded in 10-15 packs. Front diffs seems to be OK and can handle the stress.

I would say buy them but with the expectation that you're buying a diff without gears. In my limited experience/knowledge the gears aren't very strong.
IMG_3589.jpeg

The latest factory EXB diff's are reported to be quite solid, plastic cases and all.

I am waiting for a set of these (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805791898037.html) to arrive based on some great feedback from the forum. That being said some of the latest comments were showing some excessive wear and tear on the internal gears but excellent durability on the ring and input gear. @Garcbomber has ordered a set of Arrma Brand internal gears, hope to hear back on how well they fit inside these cases. (y)

Your first link is a RCAWD diff I don't think many hear are familiar with, almost looks like a V5 replacement.

I have heard great things about the Vitavon stuff as well.

As for the regular V5 BLX Arrma Diffs, they can take quite a beating as well, but for sure with your new power plant if you keep them, be sure to upgrade the internal 2.25mm pins to a hardened steel variant. (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800798163755.html <-- be sure to select 2.25mm)

Last edited:
This year I purchased 5 RCAWD diffs with one being a center diff. I'll layout the issues I've come across:
2) All 5 diffs came with the lsd plates backwards. Every single plate was backwards and caused a loud screeching.
3) Out of 3 that I've checked, none had the two required shims behind the big sun gears; they only had one small shim.
4) My center diff grenaded in 5-10 packs. Rear diff grenaded in 10-15 packs. Front diffs seems to be OK and can handle the stress.

I would say buy them but with the expectation that you're buying a diff without gears. In my limited experience/knowledge the gears aren't very strong.
View attachment 334113
Didn't know it came with the internal gears also, thought it was just the outer parts. Do you think the internal gears are weaker/different than the stock Arrma gears (AR310436)?
The latest factory EXB diff's are reported to be quite solid, plastic cases and all.

I am waiting for a set of these (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805791898037.html) to arrive based on some great feedback from the forum. That being said some of the latest comments were showing some excessive wear and tear on the internal gears but excellent durability on the ring and input gear. @Garcbomber has ordered a set of Arrma Brand internal gears, hope to hear back on how well they fit inside these cases. (y)

Your first link is a RCAWD diff I don't think many hear are familiar with, almost looks like a V5 replacement.

I have heard great things about the Vitavon stuff as well.

As for the regular V5 BLX Arrma Diffs, they can take quite a beating as well, but for sure with your new power plant if you keep them, be sure to upgrade the internal 2.25mm pins to a hardened steel variant. (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800798163755.html <-- be sure to select 2.25mm)
Do you know if the new/latest EXB RTR diffs (ARA311199) would fit the K6S V5?

Last edited:
Didn't know it came with the internal gears also, thought it was just the outer parts. Do you think the internal gears are weaker/different than the stock Arrma gears (AR310436)?

Do you know if the new/latest EXB RTR diffs (ARA311199) would fit the K6S V5?
It's possible the one you found doesn't come with gears. They have lots of variants for sale and they're dirt cheap so it wouldn't surprise me. I'm not qualified to say for sure if they're weaker/stronger. I would guess they are weaker as I ran stock BLX diffs with no shimming and no know history of usage for about 3x longer and they're still going strong. These were run on the same vehicle the RCAWD diffs were in with the same use conditions.

The first link you do not want those, they use the crappy 1 piece cup design, the entire cup is aluminum with no steel insert where the outdrive goes through. The steel outdrive will wear down the hole and egg it out causing the outdrive to wobble and the diff to leak. Make sure to look for the ones that use the 2 piece cup design like this https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt4kzdq

View attachment 334113
I've heard way more bad stuff about RCAWD than good. And The post above is just the icing on the cake. RCAWD prices are what catches peoples eyes, but in the end it seems more practical to just purchase Arrma diffs.

I've heard way more bad stuff about RCAWD than good. And The post above is just the icing on the cake. RCAWD prices are what catches peoples eyes, but in the end it seems more practical to just purchase Arrma diffs.
I've never gotten anything from them that even worked or fit properly.

He wants diff cups not gearboxes.

That being said his stuff has been hit or miss for me too some of the worst machining I have ever seen.

Last edited:

View attachment 334113
Replace your (3) slip plates under the sun gear with this shim.

IMG_0980.jpeg

IMG_0979.jpeg

Yeah I have everything ordered up to convert to this. I wonder if I should mention this to RCAWD. Maybe they'll send me some free spares?
That’s what I’m waiting on from them for the one that grenaded, I’ll take precise measurements on that shim if they don’t and keep you posted.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back