Kraton Kraton 6s v4 - aka what to do when you need a proper distraction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valhorth

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
This will be a build thread about my my Kraton 6s v4, and most likely other cars as well in the future.

First, a little background information of how and why I got me the Kraton. All my other hobbies are concentrated around my desk and computers. With the whole work at home, stay indoors etc situation, I found that I needed a proper distraction, do something active. I have also got a very recent diagnoses of my back issues, a well size hernia in my lowr back, and sitting at my desk the entire day is not helping with that either.

I have been watching RC sparks videos on and off for many years now, and recently some other RC car channels as well. From there on I got the idea of getting me a proper bash car, hence the Kraton. Many more youtube videos later, I really couldn't wait anymore.

As I'm fairly new to the hobby, I have a lot to learn and improve. I found it might be a good idea to start with a little sideproject, a workbench. I don't really have a space to work or build on things. Although the primary use will be for the Kraton, I also needed a spot where I can work on or build other things as well. And this is where I will start my build thread.

The first part was cleaning out some of the junk I keep on stuffing into the basement, some of the things have been there for years! Time to clean them out.

IMG_20210216_191147673.jpg

IMG_20210216_193539622.jpg

In my research for prebuild workbenches, I found that they can be quite expensive for the one I would like to have, so I decided to build my own. Luckily I came across a steel frame that looked perfect as a base. I wasn't looking forward to building my own frame. The plus side of the frame is that it has adjustable feet! The basement floor is not entirely flat...

IMG_20210216_194137128.jpg

IMG_20210216_194218140.jpg

IMG_20210216_195340300.jpg

The next part was figuring out what to put on top. It's easy to just put a flat piece of wood on it, precut etc, but that would be a little bit boring, so I went to freecad and designed something myself. I'm not an architect, but I'm really good with computers, so freecad was simple enough to get a basic idea of what I wanted.
workbench2.png

I decided on a top of 170x70 cm, with a 1.8cm thickness, double stacked, reincorced with a couple of beams so I can put heavy things on it if ever required. The backplate is about 50cm high, The shelves on the top will be about 60-70cm wide, but I have not decided yet on placing them left or right. My initial thought was right, but they might go to the left.

And so with the necessary measurements, I went off and got me some MDF, with a few pre-cuts from the DIY shop so it would all fit in the car. The first thing to do is glue the 2 top plates together.

IMG_20210216_195746694.jpg

IMG_20210216_200635461.jpg

IMG_20210216_201027453.jpg

IMG_20210216_201237122.jpg

And this is where I got today. I'm going to let the glue bond for about a day. The next part will be adding screws to strengthen the mdf overall and putting the reinforcement beams as well. This will be something for tomorrow.

For the car itself, I have some things to fix... I did the obvious cartwheel tumbles and crashing into hard immovable objects, and luckily so far only the chassis is bent in the back. And then there's the general maintenance. I need to do a deep clean of the car, even though it might look clean'ish, there's dirt and grime stuck everywhere.

IMG_20210216_201848005.jpg

IMG_20210216_201859338.jpg

There's also some upgrades that I bought already, but have not installed yet. All that will be for a next time, so stay tuned and feel free to post me questions or comments if you'd like more or add information on the workbench or car.

Looking forward to see what you're going to do with the car!

And also, thanks for the inspiration with the additional workbench build log. Been trying to figure out how and where to make a bit of workspace for myself, and seeing stuff like this is giving me ideas as well.

Looking forward to see what you're going to do with the car!

And also, thanks for the inspiration with the additional workbench build log. Been trying to figure out how and where to make a bit of workspace for myself, and seeing stuff like this is giving me ideas as well.
I'm looking forward to see what I do to it myself

Seeing you're from the netherlands, you might be interested in this if you'd like to build on top of a pre-build frame yourself: https://www.bol.com/nl/p/kraftmeist...w.vQAB1yceU3-aBUkJDtFECQ_0_30.40.ProductImage

So, I continued work on the workbench.

After the glueing, time to draw up some limits of where the frame will go, this will be important for later when lining up where the beams need to go. I also put in some extra reinforcement screws, just to be sure... Don't forget to pre-drill holes when using wood, don't ruin your wood by skipping that part!

IMG_20210217_182853299.jpg
IMG_20210217_183228236.jpg
IMG_20210217_184407780.jpg

Once the screws are in, it is time to prepare the reinforcement beams. The first thing to do was shorten them to 160cm. After that, I predrilled the holes for the screws that will go through the beams into the top. I used a little punch tool to make a little mark in the top before predrilling the holes in the top as well. After that, just add screws. I added a beam on the front and back side of the top, although the back is technically not needed.

IMG_20210218_193821148.jpg
IMG_20210218_201136197.jpg
IMG_20210218_210911556.jpg

IMG_20210218_212449737.jpg
IMG_20210218_212747299.jpg

And then it was time to fit it on the frame. The most difficult part was predrilling the holes for screws that hold down the top on the frame. It sags just a tiny little bit, but not overly dramatic. I think it just has to do with the glueing of the mdf. Before I attached the beams it was much more flexing, so the beams were definately a good idea.

IMG_20210218_220427047.jpg
IMG_20210218_224330526.jpg

And there it is, the first part of the workbench complete. I still need to add the back wall with the shelves etc... Light is also something I will have to add, I only have a small 60W light bulb in the back of the room, and it is just not enough. I've been using a 250W painters light, but it is just not the best thing to have as a light.

IMG_20210218_224206919.jpg

But for now I can at least work on the Kraton!
I have already bought a few things to replace. The first was a new transmitter. The stock STX2 is just horrible when at distance. It just doesn't react quickly enough. I hope the DX5C does a much better job. Unfortunately I didn't know I needed a bigger receiver box for the SR6100AT receiver. I got one from an EXB of Ebay, not too expensive, still cheaper and faster then ordering it retail.

IMG_20210218_230159781.jpg

As I showed previously, I also have a bent chassis, so I ordered 2 of them also from Ron's RC. Unfortunately I only got one in the mail today, probably a little mistake with shipping. Nevertheless, I can at least replace the current one and hopefully bend it back in shape to have as a spare.

And off course, the required maintencance greases and oils. I'm sticking to stock advised oils for the moment, but I will most likely change over time.

IMG_20210218_230227587.jpg

And since I noticed that my pinion came loose, I oreedered an extra 12T as a spare/replacement. I will have to inspect the current one to see how much it is damanged after eating some of the motor mount. And yes, body clips, can't have enough of them...

IMG_20210218_230230735.jpg

One thing I already did was replace the stock servo with a JX 20kg from Banggood. I'm not sure if I will keep it in and put something else in it or not. I will see with the new receiver how the JX one behaves.

Workbench phase 1 complete I see, and immediately put to good use!

I notice you have the Kraton up on its own little stand as well; did you make that yourself, too?

And do you really go through a bunch of body clips over time? :unsure:

This is proving to be a very useful build log to me, since I've recently gotten my first RC and, as such (even moreso than creating space to work on it) I need to build up a starting set of tools and resources to actually do any work. At this point I feel like I have most of the basic tools sorted, but seeing a shot of the assortment of oils and greases you're using also gives me something to go of off.

Workbench phase 1 complete I see, and immediately put to good use!

I notice you have the Kraton up on its own little stand as well; did you make that yourself, too?

No, I have a little rotating stand, but it is just barely high enough to get the wheels of the table, so I just put the 2 remaining pieces I cut of the reinforcement beams under it to let it sit higher.

IMG_20210219_094019231_cropped.jpg

And do you really go through a bunch of body clips over time? :unsure:
I find the body clip tethers don't last long... body clips hold up but once the tethers break I lose the clips!

I broke 2 of the retainers already, and heavily bent one of the body clips. In the picture only one package with retainers is shown, but I actually ordered 2 and put the remaining ones in my "on the road" box as spares.

IMG_20210219_094334019.jpg

This is proving to be a very useful build log to me, since I've recently gotten my first RC and, as such (even moreso than creating space to work on it) I need to build up a starting set of tools and resources to actually do any work. At this point I feel like I have most of the basic tools sorted, but seeing a shot of the assortment of oils and greases you're using also gives me something to go of off.

Yup, I had to look up what I needed for a big maintenance, and just ordered what I needed:
- Diff oils: 10K and 100K cst
- Shock oil: 80 weight / appr. 1000 cst
- White grease for the diffs and bearings
- Copper grease for some parts like pinion and spur gear coating, applied with a little brush
- Shock ring grease for when I need to rebuild shocks and other things that have those little orings
- Threadlock: blue and red, I couldn't find the ones I have for my motorcycle...

Brake cleaner, WD-40 and a silicon spray I already had, these are standard things to have for motorcycle maintenance. Small and bigger brushes are nice to have, but an old toothbrush is the very least you need. Other things I have are a small air compressor, and many different kinds of tools and plyers. I do a lot of work on my motorcycle myself.

And for creating a space, a little kitchen table, even a foldable one, is actually all you need to start.

Passed by a local RC shop yesterday for some pinion crush tubes, came out with more then expected...

IMG_20210220_181456271.jpg

They have a lot of Arrma pieces in stock, the first shop I found in Belgium with that much stock.

I picked me some EXB braces, why not, unfortunately the front one is for a Mojave, not a Kraton... I ordered the right one already from the same shop, just need to go pick it up during the week.
Also bought some bearings for the steering rack and a Power HD 25kg servo. I wasn't happy about the JX servo, I installed it, used it 2 times, but it kept bugging and worrying me when it was making a buzzing sound constantly when not having to steer.

Anyways, it is all installed now on the new chassis with the parts I bought earlier, except for the front chassis EXB brace which is easy enough to change out when the car is fully assembled. All dirth grease has been replaced, diff oils checked and filled up the center one. Shocks I didn't touch, they seem perfectly fine and all have even spring and rebound rates. And finally I used a silicone spray to lubricate all exposed joints and the pinion and spur gear.

IMG_20210220_203612648.jpg

Unfortunately the painters light I was using illumination broke, so there was not enough light anymore to take any kind of proper pictures without having to use my flash, which makes the pictures look even more terrible then thay already are... I will go have a look at some other light options this week, hopefully I can find something cheap and very bright at the same time.

I'm still thinking on how to build the back wall of the workbench, and what needs to be done to properly treat the MDF for painting.

Today the lights got sorted. A tube led light right above the bench, makes it nice and bright. Still a temporary setup, I need the back wall to find the best position later on.

IMG_20210222_190616428.jpg

IMG_20210222_191049496.jpg

IMG_20210222_192241861.jpg

And a view of the insides of the Kraton

IMG_20210222_193950282.jpg

Nice and sparkling clean... time to make it dirty again!

IMG_20210222_195607489.jpg

No, I have a little rotating stand, but it is just barely high enough to get the wheels of the table, so I just put the 2 remaining pieces I cut of the reinforcement beams under it to let it sit higher.

Oooh. Yeah, I was looking at similar stands when I was ordering some small parts recently, but decided to hold off on getting anything specialized. Just using a large plastic tray for the time being, until I see something actually worth the price of admission.

I broke 2 of the retainers already, and heavily bent one of the body clips. In the picture only one package with retainers is shown, but I actually ordered 2 and put the remaining ones in my "on the road" box as spares.

Hmmm. Judging by your (and RCBro80's) posts, I might want to include a few spares of those in a future order then -- just in case.

Yup, I had to look up what I needed for a big maintenance, and just ordered what I needed:
- Diff oils: 10K and 100K cst
- Shock oil: 80 weight / appr. 1000 cst
- White grease for the diffs and bearings
- Copper grease for some parts like pinion and spur gear coating, applied with a little brush
- Shock ring grease for when I need to rebuild shocks and other things that have those little orings
- Threadlock: blue and red, I couldn't find the ones I have for my motorcycle...

Thanks. I already got some threadlocker to use on my motor mount screws, but wasn't sure what to get in terms of greases and oils. I have a better idea of what I need, now!

Today the lights got sorted. A tube led light right above the bench, makes it nice and bright. Still a temporary setup, I need the back wall to find the best position later on.

That does look really bright! Nicely done.

Did you use the Schweppes as a magical lifehack to get the Kraton looking that sparkly?! Inquiring minds want to know... :unsure:

Last edited:
That does look really bright! Nicely done.

Did you use the Schweppes as a magical lifehack to get the Kraton looking that sparkly?! Inquiring minds want to know... :unsure:
Thanks

And no, the Schweppes is much too tasty to use as cleaner :D

Great work on the workbench and build. Things are coming along nicely!
Thanks, on to the next parts, painting and sawing tomorrow...

And I did run the car a bit this week, the weather was too good not to do it.

IMG_20210223_184557200.jpg

IMG_20210223_184719707.jpg

And I managed to break the front bumper. Not a huge problem, I was planning on swapping it out for an EXB one anyway. I'm still not sure how I actually did it though, I was only running on flat grass last tuesday... Maybe the littered sodacan I drove over had something to do with it.

IMG_20210223_184706586.jpg

And I also picked up the correct EXB aluminium front brace today... and a whole bunch of other things...

IMG_20210227_200149759.jpg

EXB front bumper, wheelie bar, rubber sealed ball bearings, a whole assortement of screws, a spare esc fan, spare wheel nuts, spare diff gaskets, shims and o-rings, heavier diff oils to try out on the next major maintenance.

Also during the week, paint, varnish, brackets to keep the back wall of the workbench in place.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back