Kraton Kraton exb 6s build help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maximal112

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
Hi everyone

Going to be picking up a Kraton exb soon, first car back after about 10 years. Just trying to work out what electronics to get and have been going through build threads for ideas and have settled on the below so far with what I can find near me. Will mainly be used for runs around dirt and grass, some small jumps etc to start with. Any advice or suggestions is appreciated. Servo is the main part I'm a little lost on in what's actually required.

Hobbywing EzRun Max6 4985SL 1650Kv Brushless 160A Motor and ESC Combo
Savox SB2295SG 40kg 7.4v Digital Metal Geared Brushless Servo - Will this fit? have read mixed opinions on Savox fitting
gensacearespammers Pro Bashing Series 22.2v 6800mAh 120C LiPo Battery w/ EC5 Plug
Futaba R214GRE S-FHSS 2.4Ghz 4ch Receiver - I have an old Futaba 4PL which I was planning on using
ARRMA Steel 18T 1Mod Pinion Gear - is this a good starting point for general use?
Servo saver - Does the kit come with one, do I need to purchase one?

Will be looking into getting motor fans down the track, but heading into winter here in Australia figured it was unlikely to overheat for now.

Are there any other things I may have missed to get up and running? Anything that needs to be done out of the box? I see people mentioning shimming the diffs, others mention just topping up or replacing the oil in them, is there a recommended one?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I am not a fan of Savox.

Just my opinion…
1. I would pick up one of these instead AGF 55 kg waterproof servo

2. Take that money you save, ditch the Futaba and buy a Nobel NB4 kit

3. Get the arrma safe d pinion… keeps the motor from getting chewed up when the grub screw backs out….ARRMA Pinion Gear, 18T HD Mod1 Safe-D5, ARA310965 https://a.co/d/gfxNiRD

I am not a fan of Savox.

Just my opinion…
1. I would pick up one of these instead AGF 55 kg waterproof servo

2. Take that money you save, ditch the Futaba and buy a Nobel NB4 kit

3. Get the arrma safe d pinion… keeps the motor from getting chewed up when the grub screw backs out….ARRMA Pinion Gear, 18T HD Mod1 Safe-D5, ARA310965 https://a.co/d/gfxNiRD
Thank you for the suggestions.

Unfortunately with the servo the one you suggested does not seem to be easily available here, to buy locally seems to be $300+ and on Amazon ends up very near the Savox price. That was the main reason I had the Savox in there was because I could get it here, most of the recommendations I see around I have be unable to find. Have you had bad experience with Savox or just found better value elsewhere?

I had been looking at that Nobel Kit the other day. Had been trying to save money and use what I already had with the Futaba, will there be that much of a difference? I know a lot can change in 10 years just not up to date on what that may be.

I had seen the safe d pinion but saw comments about them not fitting every motor so had put the normal one. Easy swap

yes, prices seem quite variable outside the us. Where are you from if you don’t mind me asking?

In my opinion savox and futaba aren’t bad they just tend to be very expensive for what you get. In your links I am seeing US prices but that futaba RX is almost $100 where the Nobel kit is $200 for the transmitter and two receivers.

If they were the same price I would still get the AGF servo though.

All just suggestions though, you have to do what’s right for your situation.

yes, prices seem quite variable outside the us. Where are you from if you don’t mind me asking?

In my opinion savox and futaba aren’t bad they just tend to be very expensive for what you get. In your links I am seeing US prices but that futaba RX is almost $100 where the Nobel kit is $200 for the transmitter and two receivers.

Looks like he’s in Australia

I am from Australia

Yea the Futaba RX is almost $100, but the Nobel kit is closer to $340. I can even just pull a receiver off my old touring car for now and invest in the Nobel kit later. Had included in the original post to check if it would actually work.

Looked into the AGFRC servos a bit more, seem to come highly recommended. If I go through Amazon and order international think it works out about $45 cheaper too so looks like might be the way to go. The link to the one that you sent through is the Non-waterproof version, would it be better to go through Ali Express to get the waterproof version? Can only find the 45kg waterproof one on Amazon here.

Thanks

Last edited:
I
I am from Australia

Yea the Futaba RX is almost $100, but the Nobel kit is closer to $340. I can even just pull a receiver off my old touring car for now and invest in the Nobel kit later. Had included in the original post to check if it would actually work.

Looked into the AGFRC servos a bit more, seem to come highly recommended. If I go through Amazon and order international think it works out about $45 cheaper too so looks like might be the way to go.

Thanks
dang, I picked up another noble kit for $180 US a few weeks ago. You have it rough over there, plus I hear you have spiders the size of dinner plates…

The noble NB4 is a sweet radio but not worth $340.

I

dang, I picked up another noble kit for $180 US a few weeks ago. You have it rough over there, plus I hear you have spiders the size of dinner plates…

The noble NB4 is a sweet radio but not worth $340.
Yea things can be a bit expensive in Comparison sometimes.

For the servo, the one I can find here is the non water proof version unless I go the 45kg? Not planning on driving through anything too wet or big puddles. How important is waterproof?

Hi everyone

Going to be picking up a Kraton exb soon, first car back after about 10 years. Just trying to work out what electronics to get and have been going through build threads for ideas and have settled on the below so far with what I can find near me. Will mainly be used for runs around dirt and grass, some small jumps etc to start with. Any advice or suggestions is appreciated. Servo is the main part I'm a little lost on in what's actually required.

Hobbywing EzRun Max6 4985SL 1650Kv Brushless 160A Motor and ESC Combo
Savox SB2295SG 40kg 7.4v Digital Metal Geared Brushless Servo - Will this fit? have read mixed opinions on Savox fitting
gensacearespammers Pro Bashing Series 22.2v 6800mAh 120C LiPo Battery w/ EC5 Plug
Futaba R214GRE S-FHSS 2.4Ghz 4ch Receiver - I have an old Futaba 4PL which I was planning on using
ARRMA Steel 18T 1Mod Pinion Gear - is this a good starting point for general use?
Servo saver - Does the kit come with one, do I need to purchase one?

Will be looking into getting motor fans down the track, but heading into winter here in Australia figured it was unlikely to overheat for now.

Are there any other things I may have missed to get up and running? Anything that needs to be done out of the box? I see people mentioning shimming the diffs, others mention just topping up or replacing the oil in them, is there a recommended one?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
All looks good. I would buy 3 pinions. 16,17,18T. You can't have just one gear. Do not buy/invest in the Arrma pinions! They are garbage!
Tekno Mod 1 pinions all the way. You can thank me later. There are other good brands too. Stay away from the Arrma pinions, trust me. They don't last for crap. Poorly machined, soft metal, etc. Gets chewed up fast by the spur gear within 4 packs even though the mesh was set perfectly. And I like them on the tighter side. Food for thought. Been there. Get yourself a Laser temp gun. You need this. They are cheap. Put it on your short list there.
You are running 6s, not 8s, right?

Before installing anything, top off all the diffs and shimming them before you run it.

Last edited:
All looks good. I would buy 3 pinions. 16,17,18T. You can't have just one gear. Do not buy/invest in the Arrma pinions! They are garbage!
Tekno Mod 1 pinions all the way. You can thank me later. There are other good brands too. Stay away from the Arrma pinions, trust me. They don't last for crap. Poorly machined etc. Been there. Get yourself a Laser temp gun. You need this. They are cheap. Put it on your short list there.
You are running 6s, not 8s, right?
Figured I would get more pinions later, was just looking at one to get started for now. No problem on switching brands though, I'll have a look for the ones you recommended.
I already have a temp gun so covered there.
Yes I'll be running 6s

You are doing a cuctom build with that esc motor combo on a roller. . It is hard to say that ONE pinion size ( 18T) is good enough to "Start out" with. Whatever you do, don't cheap out on the Pinions. Its your wallet. Arrma pinions can be had for cheap. JennysRC. Just they are garbage now All the Arrma ones I've used. are already trashed.. Especially as of late.
6 years ago they were actually made way better. Pinions are a critical , high stressed and often overlooked part. Don't take them for granted. It can take out a Motor.

Last edited:
You are doing a cuctom build with that esc motor combo on a roller. . It is hard to say that ONE pinion size ( 18T) is good enough to "Start out" with. Whatever you do, don't cheap out on the Pinions. Its your wallet. Arrma pinions can be had for cheap. JennysRC. Just they are garbage now All the Arrma ones I've used. are already trashed.. Especially as of late.
6 years ago they were actually made way better. Pinions are a critical , high stressed and often overlooked part. Don't take them for granted. It can take out a Motor.
Definitely understand what you're saying. Already found the Tekno ones you recommended on another site and think they work out a few dollars cheaper too. Will pick up a couple of sizes.

Thanks for the help

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back