Kraton Kraton gear motor and battery size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redman16

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a kraton 6s exb I am trying to gear and set up . So far I have a max6 esc with a toro x8 pro 2100kv motor and my gears are 42 spur with a 20 pinion and a center spool no center diff. I have tried to run this set up with a 3s battery it has great power Maby too much but it seems to cog a lot and heat up quick after about 10min. Do I need to go up in my cell count to run like this or change my gearing. I would like to use 4s but have many 3s at the moment. Do I need to go up to 6s . The tires I have on are badlands in the front and trenchers in the rear is that ok or dangerous for the diff.I am wondering if I should try to fix the issue with 3s power or go up to 4s first then fix the issue?? Maby with 4s there is no problem.

image.jpg

Will I need different gearing for 3s vs 4s vs 6s??

That's a lot of kv on the motor, i'd almost get the 4985 hobbywing and run 20/50 with a center diff. If you want to run that setup i'd def go to 4s and lower your gearing. i run 24/46 but with 12v cooling fans

You need to put the same tires on all 4 corners, center spool is also questionable on the kraton as a basher. Go back to the stock 50t center diff, keep the same pinion. On 4s that will be almost 50 mph. 6s will be about 70 mph. You could also get a 46t center diff and do something like 22/46 on 4s for about 55 mph.

Personally I think you're better off just going to 6s and doing 17/50 gearing. That will be 60 mph with 4 badlands. Maybe that will feel like too much power for you though? if so, something like 15/50 on 6s would be a little more manageable.

You need the same tires on all four corners: slight differences in diameter, especially with a center spool, are a recipe for increased heat.

If you have many 3s batteries, and you have two with identical mAh and c ratings, you could run 6s with the proper ESC wiring. I can't tell from your pic what battery wiring you have.

That's a lot of kv on the motor, i'd almost get the 4985 hobbywing and run 20/50 with a center diff. If you want to run that setup i'd def go to 4s and lower your gearing. i run 24/46 but with 12v cooling fans
How is your power with those gears
You need the same tires on all four corners: slight differences in diameter, especially with a center spool, are a recipe for increased heat.

If you have many 3s batteries, and you have two with identical mAh and c ratings, you could run 6s with the proper ESC wiring. I can't tell from your pic what battery wiring you have.
I am using 1 single battery connector. Which tire would be better to use for the kraton. The badlands or the trenchers

I am using 1 single battery connector. Which tire would be better to use for the kraton. The badlands or the trenchers
I like the badlands & also 6s backflips on my Kraton (powered by max6 4985 1650kv combo) geared 20p 46spur

Pretty awesome on mine. i have to be soft on the throttle or it'll wheelie pretty easy still.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back