Learn to Weld on your own

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rdub

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
With my renewed interest in 1:1 scale cars (see my post in full scale toys) and my continued interest in RC, I’m really wanting to learn to weld.
I guess I would start with MIG because of what I need done on my 1:1, but I can see welding being useful in RC as well.
I guess my question is, is it possible to become competent on my own without formal instruction?
Before the questions are asked, I am pretty competent with all tools, both automotive and construction, and have done some pretty extensive work in each. Welding is just something I never got into, and am starting to regret it. Should I dive in?

I am wondering the same thing. I want to do an RC project that will involve welding. I was thinking about asking one of my mates can help me, but it will be helpful if I can learn how to weld. i won't be able to start construction because i still have to design it on paper.

With my renewed interest in 1:1 scale cars (see my post in full scale toys) and my continued interest in RC, I’m really wanting to learn to weld.
I guess I would start with MIG because of what I need done on my 1:1, but I can see welding being useful in RC as well.
I guess my question is, is it possible to become competent on my own without formal instruction?
Before the questions are asked, I am pretty competent with all tools, both automotive and construction, and have done some pretty extensive work in each. Welding is just something I never got into, and am starting to regret it. Should I dive in?

i like working with basic tools too like grinders and basic handtools. I learned to stick weld by myself ( with some youtube vids ) quiet quickly. i started to weld some table and got to the interesting part quickly : welding my own RC monster truck axles !
let me know if you want to know more about it

Attachments

• J72CGUA.jpg
    J72CGUA.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 32
I learned to weld by watching videos. MIG wasn't that hard to learn. TIG is a different story. Prep has to be perfect. Any contamination and the weld turns bad. I do like having the ability to adjust current.

I got a job in a metal shop while working through college. I learned to weld without any formal training really from watching and talking to the welders in the shop. Then I started going over during my lunch break and learning how to run a bead. Once the guys in the shop seen I'm inteest in welding they began helping me but it is completely possibl to teach yourself to b a pretty proficient welder at home. I suggest a m.i.g to start it' alot easier and more forgiving and let' you learn about temps and wire feed speed but it' a awesome skill to know and very helpful in the hobby. Wish you the best of luck hopefully it works out

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back