Limitless side skirt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshjosh

Fast, Faster, Boom…
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Limitless
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Vendetta
Just designed this interesting piece, any thoughts? It's for the Limitless, and I've based it off the Lotus 79 side skirts. Designed for 200mph speeds, it creates downforce without drag by utilizing Venturi principles. I have not printed these out yet, but they are based off my 54mm side skirt available on Thingverse. Still doing some testing. I may do a brace in the rear to stiffen it up where there's a large gap.

Side-Skirt.JPG
Side-Skirt2.JPG

Very interesting idea.

- Angle might be a little aggressive. Did you do any calculations or is it just utilizing the max volume?
- Will you dual lock the body to the side skirt?
- What filament have you planned? PLA will break quickly. Best go for more flexing PETG or ABS.
- Stiffening could be done by adding a inner-'wing' on the same angle at the big gap
- It might ruin the floor&rear diffuser aero. It think it's wise to make a little airdam between the floor and the sideskirt to seperate the airflow

Very interesting idea.

- Angle might be a little aggressive. Did you do any calculations or is it just utilizing the max volume?
- Will you dual lock the body to the side skirt?
- What filament have you planned? PLA will break quickly. Best go for more flexing PETG or ABS.
- Stiffening could be done by adding a inner-'wing' on the same angle at the big gap
- It might ruin the floor&rear diffuser aero. It think it's wise to make a little airdam between the floor and the sideskirt to seperate the airflow
Thanks for the reply!

I did use a foil calculator to come up with the angles. The parameters I used were target air temp 80 degrees F. Target height - 0 altitude. Air flow smoothness - average. Target speed - 200mph. In looking at the Lotus 79 skirts they also used what looks like an aggressive angle, both are trying to maximize the Venturi effects.

I was thinking something similar for stiffening. Just an extra piece down low in the rear to give it a little extra.

For the filament I pretty much exclusively use PC, and mostly PC-CF. I try to stick with 3DXTECH or Prusa.

The design is to have as much air flow in from right behind the front tire. It then uses that flow to generate the downforce. The side skirt compresses the air entering so it moves faster, then at the rear of the skirt it then slows the air down and releases it right before the rear tire. All that to be said, I don’t think air from under the chassis will be able to make its way to the skirts.

Here’s the design I attempted to capture
IMG_3673.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back