Notorious LiPo battery which 'C' rating is best

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TadB

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Which C rating is better for my Notorious 6sBLX. The Instruction manual states use a 35C minimum/5000mA, this size battery handles 175A continuous and 325A burst. I'm wondering if a 50C would be better, this size battery handles 250A continuous and 475A burst. The ESC handles 150A continuous. Not sure what the continuous/burst current rating is for the motor-does anyone know?

Sounds like you know the basics of how C rating affects the amount of power a pack can supply. (Power = C Rating x Capacity) So essentially anything above the "minimum" recommended power of 175A "should" work. Getting a Higher C rating battery won't kill anything (for the most part) so its always good to get the pack with the highest C rating as practical.

Basically, 50C should be OK, 60-80 would be better, 100C+ would be awesome but probably overkill.

C-rating is complicated, but the short answer is, yes, buy the max C-rating your budget will allow.

BUT -

Know that 99% of all lipos LIE about the C-ratings. Even the $300 batteries that promise "True C" are lieing... SMC tries to fix this, by lieing about the C, then posting their "True" amps - which for their "True Spec DV 22.2V 6500mAh 120Amps/75C" lipo works out to about 20c true rating (assuming their "Ture amp" rating is true)...

Like I say, there could be a lot said, but as a general rule -

The BEST hobby packs are getting about max 55C when load tested.

The BEST hobby packs are running Graphine cells. Most Graphine packs are between 45C and 55C.

Non-graphine packs seem to max out around 45C, with most of the packs rated for 90c or better hitting between 30C-40C.

If you want to read more, check out -
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1767093-Battery-Load-Test-Comparisons

C-rating is complicated, but the short answer is, yes, buy the max C-rating your budget will allow.

BUT -

Know that 99% of all lipos LIE about the C-ratings. Even the $300 batteries that promise "True C" are lieing... SMC tries to fix this, by lieing about the C, then posting their "True" amps - which for their "True Spec DV 22.2V 6500mAh 120Amps/75C" lipo works out to about 20c true rating (assuming their "Ture amp" rating is true)...

The BEST hobby packs are running Graphine cells. Most Graphine packs are between 45C and 55C.

Non-graphine packs seem to max out around 45C, with most of the packs rated for 90c or better hitting between 30C-40C.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1767093-Battery-Load-Test-Comparisons
This all day long. Do not trust manufacturer rating on packs without a test.

Sounds like you know the basics of how C rating affects the amount of power a pack can supply. (Power = C Rating x Capacity) So essentially anything above the "minimum" recommended power of 175A "should" work. Getting a Higher C rating battery won't kill anything (for the most part) so its always good to get the pack with the highest C rating as practical.

Basically, 50C should be OK, 60-80 would be better, 100C+ would be awesome but probably overkill.
I run 100c in my Notorious and it goes like a rocket !

BUT -

The stuff in that thread has been consolidated into this website now http://www.liporatings.com/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back