Lipo dangers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RcRookie

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 3s
So I've been doing some research on lipo safety and I invested in A lipo bag. Also I never leave the charger unattended unless I'm in the house usually I'm in the same room and I always unplug it as soon as it is fully charged. Other than impacts and obvious issues what else may cause a lipo to combust? Let's say I Leave them at home for vacation on storage 3.8 V what are other potential dangers while stored? Thanks

Most of us keep them in the LiPo bags and also inside a metal toolbox/ammo can etc.
Another consideration is heat. In the summer you would not want to keep them in the garage.
LiPos like cold or room temp. I keep mine in the mud room near the garage, but indoors. Being in a metal tool box and inside a LiPo Bag I feel ok about it being indoors, but it is not kept near any bedrooms!

You would also want to visually inspect them. Over time they could begin to swell. At some un-defined swell size/amount you want to fully discharge the LiPo and dispose of the battery. Take special care of the wiring when in the RC to be sure wires do not get frayed or damaged.

Your reading into things a little to heavy imo... there are always tell tale signs when a battery is going to do something crazy... they will puff up.. sitting stagnant on a shelf at storage charge they cant do anything crazy... if that was the case they wouldnt sell them.. they must be damaged, wether smashed, under or over charged, ruptured or physically shorted to burn..

No you shouldnt leave them unattended while charging.. but you don't have to physically hover over them.. most lipo fires are due to the above damage and charged anyway... basically user error.. there are instances of them burning in rigs, but it's one of two things, user error, or an under powered battery for the amp draw...

Just for reference, you most likely hold a lipo in your hand and to your ear every day..(cell phone).. no need to be scared...

Most of us keep them in the LiPo bags and also inside a metal toolbox/ammo can etc.
Another consideration is heat. In the summer you would not want to keep them in the garage.
LiPos like cold or room temp. I keep mine in the mud room near the garage, but indoors. Being in a metal tool box and inside a LiPo Bag I feel ok about it being indoors, but it is not kept near any bedrooms!

You would also want to visually inspect them. Over time they could begin to swell. At some un-defined swell size/amount you want to fully discharge the LiPo and dispose of the battery. Take special care of the wiring when in the RC to be sure wires do not get frayed or damaged.
Thanks that is really good information!

Cell phones use Li-ion batteries. This is because lipos are too dangerous to hold against your ear. Just saying.. lipos are still very safe when treated well tho.

That's what I hear, that as long as you dint puncture,overcharge. Or overheat them they are safe?

You sure?? Thought lithium ion was hard cell packs
I’m pretty sure. Not gonna act like I’m mister battery expert here, but I’m fairly confident that they’re li-ion

Edit just hit the googler. Here’s the iPhone:
712F710C-FDFE-4F33-AAB1-8899593B08DA.png

They actually use both... beleive it or not as of 2018 the lithium poly battery is the choice over the lithium ion.. but it depends on the manufacturer..
How can I see if my hard case battery's swell? :)
Or are going bad

Usually as whole the hard cases will show swelling in the center under the decals.. I'm pretty sure they specifically leave that section of the case thin for this reason...

This is a swelled hard case.. you can physically see the buldge.. I also pulled back the decal to show the thin cutout

Attachments

• 20191210_184311.jpg
    20191210_184311.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
They also use lipo batteries in those jump boxes and people keep those in their trunk.

Also do note that any battery over 2s 2200mah will burn through a lipo bag, best bet is a vented ammo can.

Your reading into things a little to heavy imo... there are always tell tale signs when a battery is going to do something crazy... they will puff up.. sitting stagnant on a shelf at storage charge they cant do anything crazy... if that was the case they wouldnt sell them.. they must be damaged, wether smashed, under or over charged, ruptured or physically shorted to burn..

No you shouldnt leave them unattended while charging.. but you don't have to physically hover over them.. most lipo fires are due to the above damage and charged anyway... basically user error.. there are instances of them burning in rigs, but it's one of two things, user error, or an under powered battery for the amp draw...

Just for reference, you most likely hold a lipo in your hand and to your ear every day..(cell phone).. no need to be scared...
Thanks ,this is very comforting actually. I figured it as much but sometimes a little reassurance is nice especially since I'm a newbie ??

How can I see if my hard case battery's swell? :)
Or are going bad
This is an SMC hard case. On these they begin to crack/ split in the middle near visible where the #1 is written on it. This is G10 which is basically type of fiberglass. Others I have had made of plastic the 2 halves of the "shell" will split.
This SMC true spec extreme has been this way for over a year and is completely fine.
20191210_195126.jpg

20191210_195346.jpg

I had another that had to be drained and trashed. Hurts to throw away a Lipo that cost over $100.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back