Kraton Looking for suggestions on motor and esc combo or separate. Help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddytrex

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my motor in my V5 kraton. Which I have ran a handful of times... has gone to poop. One of the wires, I believe the orange one broke or melted off inside the sleeve connector. I have no idea how it happened. From day one I took care of my rig. I never beat on it or taken it off any jumps. Mainly messing around at the park with my kids and their big rocks. I've always checked my rig before and after playing with it. Then it stopped working. I couldn't figure out what it was until I went to unplug the motor from the esc. That's when I discovered the wire. Anyway what is a good motor replacement for a fair price. Then what's a good motor/esc combo. Lastly what is a good upgrade combo? I know that's alot of questions but a little nudge in the right direction is appreciated.

Thanks all!

Max 6 combo 1650 kv. And I believe I'm running a 21 tooth pin.. no heat issues whatsoever. I believe this is the best combo at the for the price...Others will chime in like the castle creation guys.. or the spectrum system 8s it's really all about preference and budget..

Did you buy it new, if you did, you might try to warranty it.

The stock motor great for what you are using it for.
Id go thru warranty first if you can. You can go to rcjuice website and check out the motors they have.

Currently I have the Max8 with the blx2050kv. Purchased a leopard 4282 1680kv to try out.

Lots of people go with the Max6 combo for the gobbs of power

Did you buy it new, if you did, you might try to warranty it.

The stock motor great for what you are using it for.
Yes I bought it brand new in November.
Id go thru warranty first if you can. You can go to rcjuice website and check out the motors they have.

Currently I have the Max8 with the blx2050kv. Purchased a leopard 4282 1680kv to try out.

Lots of people go with the Max6 combo for the gobbs of power
I'm going to try warranty on Monday. Hopefully I won't need to buy a new motor or esc. I was hoping to master this setup first before upgrading.

Hi, im not looking to buy motor now, but i just wanted to know if MAX6 combo is significantly better vs stock motor on Kraton v5? for example if torque and speed is 7/10 and 8/10 on stock how much is MAX6 combo? thanks.

The motor in the Max6 is much larger. It has a lower KV - that is it spins slower at the same voltage, but it makes huge torque, much more total power.

If you are getting the regular V5, I personally would not recommend this motor, as you will have diff issues - the EXB diffs could handle it, though.

Also, as a new guy in RC, you will not want more power right away. Well maybe you will WANT more power, but you need to learn to drive first... LOL But most all new RC'ers are blown away by the standard power and speed the 6s trucks have out of the box...

For reference, the Max6 motor is the same size as the one Arrma is putting in the 1/5 scale 8s Kraton/Outcast.

The motor in the Max6 is much larger. It has a lower KV - that is it spins slower at the same voltage, but it makes huge torque, much more total power.

If you are getting the regular V5, I personally would not recommend this motor, as you will have diff issues - the EXB diffs could handle it, though.

Also, as a new guy in RC, you will not want more power right away. Well maybe you will WANT more power, but you need to learn to drive first... LOL But most all new RC'ers are blown away by the standard power and speed the 6s trucks have out of the box...

For reference, the Max6 motor is the same size as the one Arrma is putting in the 1/5 scale 8s Kraton/Outcast.

Would more torque help in grass driving? thanks alot!

Some would say more torque will always help... :p

But the real story is the stock motor can run the Kraton thru semi-mowed park grass at 40+ mph with no issues, and 50+ with a bit of heat... That Max6 combo will run thru that same grass at 60+ and no heat.

If you have not run high power RC's, I suspect you will be fine with stock power. But if you want to have an OP rig, and the extra $$$$$ is not a problem, then hit it and get it, no excuses needed.

If you are on a budget, then don't worry about the $$$$ motor ESC combo. Save your money to get a good high power two channel charger, and an extra battery or two.

Yea I'm one of the guys that have the same dilema, my case would be even worse since the near parks have 4 inches grass, I'm guessing not too long after I use it in 6s I would like to upgrade to 8s - convert.

I run my Kraton/Outcast/Granite in 4" of park grass a lot. The Granite is suffering pretty good, but runs. The Outcast and Kraton run fine.

With grass, you also have to keep in mind how thick it is... A thick lush lawn is not the same as an overgrown football field, which is not the same as a retention pond which is not the same as a cow pasture...

Also, as some point with grass, this issue is not how much power the truck as, but the grass is keeping your tires off the ground, so more power does not help a lot. Wide Kraton Copperheads seem to help over the narrow Outcast Backflip in thick grass - kind of helps the truck hydroplane on the grass...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back