Kraton K6 EXB - Efficient, light 6s ESC/Motor suggestions plz! Going crazy here!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosen

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I’m running the Spektrum 150A/2050kv combo in my Kraton 6s EXB. I need to put that system in a Typhon 6s roller so wanted to upgrade the system in the K.

I want a 4082/4282 type can ideally around 2000kv to keep it light yet bigger than the spektrum 2050kv. The Hobbystar ones i saw require 160A from the ESC but i prefer to keep some headroom so even a Max6 wont satisfy me. I could run a Leopard 4282 as it requires around 120A - 140A from memory.

What do u guys suggest! I’m willing to buy a Max6 ESC but not the huge 1650kv motor; i feel it’ll make the rig too heavy!

Or should i stick with the Spekrum combo; or Spektrum 150A ESC and Leopard hobby motor ?

I HAVE PULLED OUT MY HAIR TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT!

Castle is out of my budget!

The Stock system has been fine till now, just scared that soon it will fry; seems its a small system pushing a medium heavy rig!

Plz help me save some hair!!!

Thanks!

PS: what about Sledge 2000kv motor with Max6 or stock ESC ?? The can is slightly bigger than Spektrum 2050kv……

A lot of people use corally systems for lightweight builds but I have no experience with 6s

I think a Max 6 would be fine with that, and it’s a great ESC. I’ve run pretty big TP motors with the first gen Max 6 and never had an issue. The newer G2 is even better, and if you get the HW adapter wire you can even run sensored motors.

I've used a G1 Max6 with a Rocket 4092, didn't even break a sweat. Also, I have used a Traxxas VXL8S with the 4092 as well, no issues. Downside on the VXL8S is very limited adjustability. I also have the TC 6s combo in 2 vehicles, it kicks ass. One of which is a Kraton XL.

Hobbywing 8BL150 G2 will be plenty for a 4282 2000kv and still run circles around the 4S factory Firma 150 system on a budget. Wouldn't go Max 6, especially G2 without a big 4092/4990 motor for insane power if you gear appropiately. Better to have a little more weight-lower temps and over-gearing capability, but just my opinion.

In fact, you could probably keep the 4074 and the esc will be the additional punch for a LWB rig until you decide to throw a heavy 7075 chassis and aluminum along with it.

Last edited:
If you're on a budget, then I really don't see a better option than the Max6 combo... the Hobbystar motors are cheap, but they're heavy for what they are and the 2 I had always ran warm... I run a v1 Max6 and 4985 1650kv combo in a 6s Outcast that gets the dog snot beat out of it, couldn't be happier... I run 6s Backflips and a 17t pinion, fits the bill perfectly for me

I find that lower kv helps with these heavier trucks. Even a 4274 in say 16-1800kv will run better than a 2050. Gear up accordingly to get the speed back. The Surpass/Hobbystar motors do run hot, but they seem to tolerate the heat quite well. I've broken 200f routinely with several of them and they still run well.

I love this forum! So responsive and knowledgeable!

Ok, so i TOTALLY FORGOT that the Max6 G2 is bumped up to 200A!! That sounds cool! Apparently some folk have had bad luck with Max8 G2’s blowing up. Will wait a bit to see how the Max6 G2 reviews fair……also just Bluetooth programming is a bit of a bummer!

Interesting about the Corally 6s combo. Its like an over clocked Max8 isn’t it ? I heard it gets hot pretty fast! And the motor is almost same as Spektrum 2050kv, no ?

Max6 G1 with Rocket 4092 sounds good!

Hmmm, so is the Quicrun series better than the Spektrum stock systems ???

Now i’m confused with choices!!! U guys are awesome!!!

I have Max6 G1 motor (1650) lying around; but i really don't want to make the rig heavy! But u guys think it’ll run cooler than the Hobbystars ?

Cheers!!

I love this forum! So responsive and knowledgeable!

Ok, so i TOTALLY FORGOT that the Max6 G2 is bumped up to 200A!! That sounds cool! Apparently some folk have had bad luck with Max8 G2’s blowing up. Will wait a bit to see how the Max6 G2 reviews fair……also just Bluetooth programming is a bit of a bummer!

Interesting about the Corally 6s combo. Its like an over clocked Max8 isn’t it ? I heard it gets hot pretty fast! And the motor is almost same as Spektrum 2050kv, no ?

Max6 G1 with Rocket 4092 sounds good!

Hmmm, so is the Quicrun series better than the Spektrum stock systems ???

Now i’m confused with choices!!! U guys are awesome!!!

I have Max6 G1 motor (1650) lying around; but i really don't want to make the rig heavy! But u guys think it’ll run cooler than the Hobbystars ?

Cheers!!
not sure tbh but yes it gets hot, probably not in something super light though! Like full carbon

I find that lower kv helps with these heavier trucks. Even a 4274 in say 16-1800kv will run better than a 2050. Gear up accordingly to get the speed back. The Surpass/Hobbystar motors do run hot, but they seem to tolerate the heat quite well. I've broken 200f routinely with several of them and they still run well.
Hey man! Interesting that u mention that! I recently bought a Yikong TB7, its 1/7th scale and comes with a Max8 and 1600kv 4274 motor. Because its 1/7th and heavy; i took out the Max8 and installed a Max6. I can now take out the 1600kv from there and put that in the K6 with a Max6 ESC. And i’ll install the 1650kv big can in the 1/7th.

Only thing is i cant find any specs of any Hobbywing 1600kv 4274 anywhere! Its not even re-branded; its the real deal!

Only thing is i cant find any specs of any Hobbywing 1600kv 4274 anywhere! Its not even re-branded; its the real deal!
The motor specs don't change according to kv, at least not the power output. Current draw does change with kv. Generally lower kv motors will draw less amps, thereby generating less heat. I would definitely give the 1600kv a shot in the Kraton.
My Kraton is currently running a 4274 1450kv on 6s. Hobao 150rtr esc (08bl150) with Mojave tires, 20/50 gearing on 6s. It is an absolute treat to drive. Silky smooth power, minimal heat and runs for a long time on just a 5200 Zeee 100c battery. I love that combo in that truck!!

The motor specs don't change according to kv, at least not the power output. Current draw does change with kv. Generally lower kv motors will draw less amps, thereby generating less heat. I would definitely give the 1600kv a shot in the Kraton.
My Kraton is currently running a 4274 1450kv on 6s. Hobao 150rtr esc (08bl150) with Mojave tires, 20/50 gearing on 6s. It is an absolute treat to drive. Silky smooth power, minimal heat and runs for a long time on just a 5200 Zeee 100c battery. I love that combo in that truck!!
That sounds like a plan! And i don't end up wasting a motor either!!!

The published weights on the Hobbystar/Rocket motors are not accurate... I remember weighing a Hobbystar 4092 1730kv and finding it was only about 2 oz. lighter than the HW 1650 motor... if you have the G1 combo, throw it in, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

The published weights on the Hobbystar/Rocket motors are not accurate... I remember weighing a Hobbystar 4092 1730kv and finding it was only about 2 oz. lighter than the HW 1650 motor... if you have the G1 combo, throw it in, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised
Good info. Was my original reason I went Max6/4092. Weight concerns.. in the end, I went back to a standard size 4274 as I was just spinning tires and shredding too many parts with the 4092. It has now taken residency in my spares bin. We all use them differently.🍻

Good info. Was my original reason I went Max6/4092. Weight concerns.. in the end, I went back to a standard size 4274 as I was just spinning tires and shredding too many parts with the 4092. It has now taken residency in my spares bin. We all use them differently.🍻
How are temps with a 4274 ? Thanks!!
I could throw in the G1 combo but i think the bigger can would be better suited to the 1/7th rig i have; i can go Max6 / 4274 1600k on the K6…

How are temps with a 4274 ? Thanks!!

I could throw in the G1 combo but i think the bigger can would be better suited to the 1/7th rig i have; i can go Max6 / 4274 1600k on the K6…
Temps on the 1450kv never went over 130 for me.
I think since you have the esc and motors, give them a try. See what works best for you. That's what I was getting at when I said we all bash differently. What may work well for me, may not work out for your use. Gotta experiment.

Temps on the 1450kv never went over 130 for me.
I think since you have the esc and motors, give them a try. See what works best for you. That's what I was getting at when I said we all bash differently. What may work well for me, may not work out for your use. Gotta experiment.
Thank u so much! Makes perfect sense.

My suggestion for you would be a MAX8/MAX6 (G1 or G2) with a TP power TP4040 1580kv.

I ran the MAX8 with that motor in a Tekno ET48.3 on 6S and it performed very well, I was running it flat out in a large park area so most power systems ran hot, the 1580kv is the sweet spot for 6S as it will run fairly cool but had lots of power and top speed was around 55mph.

If you want a 4082 (may suit the Kraton as it is heavier) then take a look at a TP4050 at the same kv and consider running a MAX6 instead.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back