Louise ST MCROSS, Extreme wobble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soheilmd

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton EXB
I bought last year a set of used (like new) tires for my KRATON EXB 1/8. Today installed it and as soon as they turn the car starts to shake like mad. Its so bad that i was afraid the car would explode by full throtle!
I took off the tires and the car runs smooth without any unbalance or shaking. Checked the bearing and they look fine.

Any idea what can be done woth the tires?

Cheers comrade. Inner foam of tiers can be damaged or full of sand or moisture. Thus they are not balanced properly. Weigh each tire and compare the results. If there is any meaningful difference between numbers it is better to open up the tiers and check condition of the foams directly.

If there has been water inside the tire for some time it starts to dissolve the foam leading to very unbalanced wheels.
Remove one of the rear dogbones and put the car on a stand. Put a wheel back on and give it a spin by hand so that it makes a couple of rotations. When the wheel stops, mark the top (12 o clock) position, preferable with a white marker or so. Repeat and see if the wheel stops at the same position. If so, add some weight at the 6 o clock position. Some use epoxy, hot glue or lead tape (also used for balancing 1:1 scale cars). Repeat until the wheel starts stopping at different random positions. Do this for a 4 wheels.

I bought a set of Louise tyres, it's the first and only set I'll ever buy..!! They are so out of balance its crazy...

IMG_3414.jpeg

A few things to rule out:
1. Are the wheels warped? Find out by getting calipers and measuring the inside diameter of the wheels from the inside. Measure multiple points going around the wheels. I had wheels that I balanced and were shaking/jumping like mad. Turned out the wheels were warped. They varied as much as 1.5mm in diamter in some spots. If they are warped, they are trash.
2. if not warped, balance the wheels. Unbalanced wheels/tires will cause jump/stutter to the extent the are unbalanced. I use Sculpty clay as weights. If its just out of balance, balancing them will smooth them out while spinning. There are videos on Youtube about balancing tires.

Feel free to ask more questions. I love tires (real cars and rc lol)

Cheers comrade. Inner foam of tiers can be damaged or full of sand or moisture. Thus they are not balanced properly. Weigh each tire and compare the results. If there is any meaningful difference between numbers it is better to open up the tiers and check condition of the foams directly.

Had finally some time to do so. Well there is a huge weight diffrence:

491 grams. (1,082 lb)
552 grams. (1,216 lb)
565 grams. (1,245 lb)
452 grams. (0,996 lb)

according to the website they shoud be 430 grams! (0,947 lb)
Squeeze them hard all around until the water leaves the tire, almost 100% sure it’s water.

They appear to be dry, cant feel or hear any soud after squeezing them.

A few things to rule out:
1. Are the wheels warped? Find out by getting calipers and measuring the inside diameter of the wheels from the inside. Measure multiple points going around the wheels. I had wheels that I balanced and were shaking/jumping like mad. Turned out the wheels were warped. They varied as much as 1.5mm in diamter in some spots. If they are warped, they are trash.
2. if not warped, balance the wheels. Unbalanced wheels/tires will cause jump/stutter to the extent the are unbalanced. I use Sculpty clay as weights. If its just out of balance, balancing them will smooth them out while spinning. There are videos on Youtube about balancing tires.

Feel free to ask more questions. I love tires (real cars and rc lol)

I checked with the caliper and they seem alright verry little diffrence on one of the wheels. But deffinatly less than a milimeter.

Last edited:
You could take a heat gun to one of the heavy tires and heat the bead to deactivate the CA glue, remove the tire and foam and see whats inside :)
Yep, there are videos on Youtube on how to remove RC tires from wheels using a heat gun.

Today, I had some time to work on the tires. I managed to remove them by applying heat. just as you guys predicted they were filled with sand and water.

The foams appear to be in good condition, but they were very wet and sandy. I washed them and let them to dry in the sun. However, one of the foams is no longer glued. What can I use to reattach it?

Additionally, I may have made a mistake with the rims. Heating them to remove the tires might have caused them to deform. Two of them now look slightly oval-shaped, like eggs! I hope I can heat them up again and use a caliper to restore their round shape.

Glad you got the tires off. Use contact cement to reglue the foam. Make sure it really saturates into the foam. DAP brand at Home Depot works for me

ugh - warped rims suck. The ID (inner diameter) of most 3.8 wheels is about 3.6 inches. See if you can find the lid to a jar that fits perfectly inside the rim. I know this is weird but I have a lid to Vega Protein made simple in 9.3 oz size and the lid fits perfectly snug inside a 3.8 inch wheel lol. Stick it in the rim as a jig to keep the rim round, then heat it up a bit and let it cool in that position. Also the lid to Metamucil 26.6 oz jar is also 3.6 inches in diameter lol

One more thought, you can take your rim into the supermarket, and test any cheap jar or can that fits snug in it to hold it in place while you apply heat.

Last edited:
Glad you got the tires off. Use contact cement to reglue the foam. Make sure it really saturates into the foam. DAP brand at Home Depot works for me

ugh - warped rims suck. The ID (inner diameter) of most 3.8 wheels is about 3.6 inches. See if you can find the lid to a jar that fits perfectly inside the rim. I know this is weird but I have a lid to Vega Protein made simple in 9.3 oz size and the lid fits perfectly snug inside a 3.8 inch wheel lol. Stick it in the rim as a jig to keep the rim round, then heat it up a bit and let it cool in that position. Also the lid to Metamucil 26.6 oz jar is also 3.6 inches in diameter lol

One more thought, you can take your rim into the supermarket, and test any cheap jar or can that fits snug in it to hold it in place while you apply heat.

Thanks for the advise, all the items above are american and i wont be able to find here (Netherland) but what i found was a big beer mug that is a perfect fit. I wil heat the rims again and see if i can get them round.

I sent an email to the company with no response.
Few days before i balance them but the tire deformation remains of course :/
I never put them in water or sand, it was like that from the beginning.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back