M1 pinion gear question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenyanr1

Reaction score
Hello guys. I bought a set of m1 pinion gears of Amazon and I have what I think is a problem. The pinion fits over the motor shaft (stock 2050kv spectrum) fine but it doesn’t have the “d-shape” center like the stock pinion does. My question is, will I have a problem with the aftermarket pinion with it being he’d by just the grub screw?

Thanks

Nah. 99% of pinions are like your new one.

Make sure to clean the grub screw with alcohol, then use thread lock, then tighten the sumbitch down hard. Wait a day for it to dry.

I use this thread lock for pinions:

Permatex 25210 High Strength... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R6B87S5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Do they have dual set screws? Red loctite on the flat if you can’t fit 2 small ones

Last edited:
I think my first post on this forum was this same question. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

One other important factor (particularly with the smaller M2 grub screws you typically find in pinions for 5mm shafts) is to have a really good hex driver that fits really snug in the grub screw (I'd recommend Wera or MIP drivers even if just for the 2mm driver...the larger the hex, the less important the fit becomes). They strip out pretty easy and the pinion grub is one that you really want to torque down firmly but you can't go all fists of ham on them. It's a bit of a balancing act. And as soon as you notice the fit in the grub screw loosen just a little, toss it in the garbage immediately and replace with a fresh one. Drilling out stripped grubs is doable but it's still annoying when it happens.

One other important factor (particularly with the smaller M2 grub screws you typically find in pinions for 5mm shafts) is to have a really good hex driver that fits really snug in the grub screw (I'd recommend Wera or MIP drivers even if just for the 2mm driver...the larger the hex, the less important the fit becomes). They strip out pretty easy and the pinion grub is one that you really want to torque down firmly but you can't go all fists of ham on them. It's a bit of a balancing act. And as soon as you notice the fit in the grub screw loosen just a little, toss it in the garbage immediately and replace with a fresh one. Drilling out stripped grubs is doable but it's still annoying when it happens.
That’s some good advice. I actually have mip but I also use some cheap Amazon specials

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back