Kraton Mamba Monster 2 problem - or not really

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxgasmekl

Reaction score
Hi - I really like to ask questions in this forum. Helps me so much. So thanks in advance:)
When I connected my new mm2 to my dx5c it just went through its arming process. I never got to calibrate anything. Now when I try to calibrate my MM2 to my DX5c nothing happens besides the esc flashes green. First when I release the full throttle position the esc armes like normal. Im a little confused about this. The reciever is in 0 trim on the throtttle and reverse is set to normal. What am I doing wrong

Spektrum receivers are finnicky for calibration. You can't hold full throttle at power up like Castle recommends.
  1. Power on transmitter and leave throttle at neutral
  2. Power on ESC
  3. Wait for receiver to complete startup/beeping process
  4. Go full throttle on transmitter (this starts the ESC calibration and you'll get green lights)
  5. When ESC light starts blinking red, go full reverse on transmitter
  6. When ESC light starts blinking yellow, go neutral on transmitter
Disclaimer: keep your wheels off the ground during this process. If the ESC doesn't successfully go into calibration mode, you'll have a car trying to go full throttle 😬

Spektrum receivers are finnicky for calibration. You can't hold full throttle at power up like Castle recommends.
  1. Power on transmitter and leave throttle at neutral
  2. Power on ESC
  3. Wait for receiver to complete startup/beeping process
  4. Go full throttle on transmitter (this starts the ESC calibration and you'll get green lights)
  5. When ESC light starts blinking red, go full reverse on transmitter
  6. When ESC light starts blinking yellow, go neutral on transmitter
Disclaimer: keep your wheels off the ground during this process. If the ESC doesn't successfully go into calibration mode, you'll have a car trying to go full throttle 😬
Thank you for the input - so when I apply full throttle after the normal 6s arming beeps it just goes full throttle. I mean I haven't tried for more than a few seconds because with the wheels spinning at full power on the bench. And wouldn’t it then just go into calibrationmode when bashing around? I don't really understand. Sorry

Thank you for the input - so when I apply full throttle after the normal 6s arming beeps it just goes full throttle. I mean I haven't tried for more than a few seconds because with the wheels spinning at full power on the bench. And wouldn’t it then just go into calibrationmode when bashing around? I don't really understand. Sorry
Which receiver are you using?

I’d just mess around with the timing of when you pull the throttle. Try a little earlier.

I have a bunch of Castle/Spektrum setups and the calibration is pretty easy once you get the timing down.

That explains your wheels then 🤔
Is it the one in your profile pic ? The yellow cover one ?
Yess
I’d just mess around with the timing of when you pull the throttle. Try a little earlier.

I have a bunch of Castle/Spektrum setups and the calibration is pretty easy once you get the timing down.
What do you mean? Earlier than what? When? Sorry Im a bit confused😵‍💫

Oh ok cool.love the cover.👍 .I also have a MM2 castle 2650 combo I got a few months ago to put in my extendo Big Rock speedster build . haven't had the chance to throw it in but I hope I don't have any issues with getting it calibrated .I'll be using a fly sky gt5 radio .so I'll keep watching this thread see how you do

Something doesn't sound right, wheels shouldn't be spinning during calibration.
The above sequence is wrong for an MM2, actually for any ESC I'm familiar with.
The ESC must see full throttle during power on, else it just works as directed, i.e go full throttle.

On transmitter, make sure AVC is off and throttle trim at zero

Correct sequence, directly copied from MM2 manual:
  1. Calibrate the radio transmitter
    • Plug in a battery
    • Holding full throttle on your transmitter, turn the switch ON
    • After a few seconds you’ll hear multiple tones and the red LED
    will come on NOTE: With AVC receivers this can take up to 1 min, wait until this happened.
    • Now hold full brake and after a few seconds you’ll hear multiple
    tones and the yellow LED will come on
    • Now relax to neutral and after a few seconds you’ll hear multiple
    tones and ALL the LEDs will light up.
    • A few seconds later the ESC will arm with a double tone and
    you’re ready to go!

https://dzf8vqv24eqhg.cloudfront.net/userfiles/4671/6540/ckfinder/files/Product Manuals/Surface/Mamba-Monster2-QSG.pdf

The ESC must see full throttle during power on, else it just works as directed, i.e go full throttle.

• Plug in a battery
    will come on NOTE: With AVC receivers this can take up to 1 min, wait until this happened.
    you’re ready to go!

https://dzf8vqv24eqhg.cloudfront.net/userfiles/4671/6540/ckfinder/files/Product Manuals/Surface/Mamba-Monster2-QSG.pdf
Correct.my Manuel says the exact same thing 👍
If he presses throttle and wheels move , isn't it already calibrated ? 🤔

Correct.my Manuel says the exact same thing 👍
If he presses throttle and wheels move , isn't it already calibrated ? 🤔
No not really, calibration only sets the max endpoints for full throttle.
Any ESC knows where zero is and will react to positive and negative inputs, i.e. wheels will always spin on throttle input.
This calibration can also be off in 2 different ways i.e. 100% throttle input is only interpreted as (ex.)73% or on the flip side you get 100% when throttle trigger is only at 50%.

• Plug in a battery
    you’re ready to go!

That was exactly my point. Full throttle and then turn on the car. I have done what Castle manual says as it is above. I have avc turned off and the trim set to 0. I haven't waited more than 30 sec. I’ll have to try the wait-over-one-minute-approach and see if that works.
Any ESC knows where zero is and will react to positive and negative inputs, i.e. wheels will always spin on throttle input.
This calibration can also be off in 2 different ways i.e. 100% throttle input is only interpreted as (ex.)73% or on the flip side you get 100% when throttle trigger is only at 50%.
Can you please elaborate on the last part?

Thanks Mr @jkflow 👍

• Plug in a battery
    you’re ready to go!

So I just tried waiting-method and that didnt work either. The trim set to 0 is this on the transmitter right?

IMG_5094.jpeg

Need to follow the manual better. You are doing it all wrong, IMHO.
And Set the "Brake" trim to Zero also!

• Plug in a battery
    you’re ready to go!

So I just tried waiting-method and that didnt work either. The trim set to 0

Is the receiver actually bound and steering is working?
You will hear the motor beep, that is when the wait is over. If that doesn't happen, something else is amiss.

Can you please elaborate on the last part?
Picture a number scale from -2000 to 0 to +2000 (Numbers are examples, actuals depend on radio type etc)
The ESC knows exactly where zero is
Throttle range adjust or calibration lets the ESC know where the 2000 is located (+ and -). The transmitter actually operates on a scale from -3000 to + 3000 in order to adjust for trim and other setup related items.
ESC needs to know when transmitter is at that '2000' value in order to give 100%.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back