Kraton Dead Mamba Monster 2 esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxgasmekl

Reaction score
I have posted a lot of questions about my recent purchased mm2 esc. And now it doesn't really matter anymore. Because after a 10 min bash with half throttle the MM2 was toast. The three resistors(i think) sprayed som kind of liquid out of them. The car was completely dead after that. I actually thought that Castle products were able to withstand this very easy way of driving. I did let the car relax for some hours and then tried to power it on again. The cellcount just continued. At some point it ended up counting to 6s and the the car armed. But now it was veryvery cocking(i guess thats the word) and the motor and esc got very hot 75g celcius after only 2 mins of driving. No acceleration. Something is really wrong with this esc. The car really rolls well. So no binding in the drive train. Or maybe its the motor. Its as mentioned a Razer 2000kv. Whats wrong?

I have posted a lot of questions about my recent purchased mm2 esc. And now it doesn't really matter anymore. Because after a 10 min bash with half throttle the MM2 was toast. The three resistors(i think) sprayed som kind of liquid out of them. The car was completely dead after that. I actually thought that Castle products were able to withstand this very easy way of driving. I did let the car relax for some hours and then tried to power it on again. The cellcount just continued. At some point it ended up counting to 6s and the the car armed. But now it was veryvery cocking(i guess thats the word) and the motor and esc got very hot 75g celcius after only 2 mins of driving. No acceleration. Something is really wrong with this esc. The car really rolls well. So no binding in the drive train. Or maybe its the motor. Its as mentioned a Razer 2000kv. Whats wrong?
Caps blew out? I've had one do that once, I was out for a bash when the esc just became unresponsive. I would contact Castle, they do have a 1 year warranty or if it is out of warranty they offer a discount for a new one.

Caps blew out? I've had one do that once, I was out for a bash when the esc just became unresponsive. I would contact Castle, they do have a 1 year warranty or if it is out of warranty they offer a discount for a new one.
Exactly what happened…
Exactly what happened:(

I've only seen caps pop when the gearing was way to tall.. 🤷.. good luck on the warranty.. probably have to pay half price for a new one.. seems to be the way castle handles all of Thier warranties these day's..

I've only seen caps pop when the gearing was way to tall.. 🤷.. good luck on the warranty.. probably have to pay half price for a new one.. seems to be the way castle handles all of Thier warranties these day's..
The spur gearing is stock and the pinion is 14t. So that shouldnt cause trouble… it seems that the Castle products are not what they once were

The spur gearing is stock and the pinion is 14t. So that shouldnt cause trouble… it seems that the Castle products are not what they once were
This is always so interesting to me because in my mind an mm2 is not good enough for a kraton and I would have gone with the mmx8s and not had this problem. Castle states the mm2 is good for under 15 lbs though so I'm assuming your kraton is under that. That gearing is also not high at all tbh. Maybe you just got unlucky? I had a hobbywing esc blow up a few days ago. Sometimes poop happens and it sucks. :eek:

I wouldn't stick anything castle on my bashers but love them in my boats. I have nothing but good luck with the Firma ESC's , cheap and reliable.

Your gearing sounds normal and this shouldn't happen, assuming nothing in your drivetrain is binding. I can do that with my 2nd hand Firma 150 all day long.

Last edited:
If their Kraton is mostly stock, stock weight is 10.6 lbs. The Mamba Monster 2 is more than enough for a near stock Kraton. My Erevo 2.0 is around 13lbs with 2 3s lipos with a Mamba Monster 2, and it’s been great. No issues at all.

Sounds like you got a lemon, which happens. As mentioned before, give Castle a shout and see what they can do for ya.

My MM2 just stopped giving the motor power, no smoke, nothing. I replaced it with a Hobbywing MAX6, it works much better. When the MM2s were $85.00 I thought they were a hot 4s ESC (I wouldn't plug a 6s battery into something that cheap). For what they charge for them now I think they are massively overpriced. And what's with the 7v max BEC?

I blew a firma 150 two weeks ago - thats why I bought the mm2. Thought it was a reliable esc. Given the very high temps across wires, esc and motor - 60-70 degrees C - that occured after 10 mins of halv throttle on a pro buggy course, I suspect the motor to be the culprit. The same motor was in when the firma blew up. Could it somehow backfire or create the high temps due to something else? Its a fairly cheap Lazer 4274 2000kv. Again the car rolls fine and no binding in the drivetrain

IMG_5105.jpeg

No, motors don't backfire or similar, what typically happens is that the motor overheats, epoxy holding the rotor together breaks and the motor rotor blows up. That results in a locked motor. What could have happened, your motor wire insulation melted creating a higher load current which could result in higher ripple and that could do what you have seen.
Motors are cheap, change it out, get yourself a temp gun and motor should always stay below 170F'ish, ECD below 140F.
If they go higher, gear down or add better fans.

Last edited:
No, motors down backfire or similar, what typically happens is that the motor overheats, epoxy holding the rotor together braks and teh motor rotor blows up. That results in a locked motor. What could have happened, your motor wire insulation melted creating a higher load current which could result in higher ripple and that could do what you have seen.
Motors are cheap, change it out, get yourself a temp gun and motor should always stay below 170F'ish, ECD below 140F.
If they go higher, gear down or add better fans.
The motor didnt look itself up. The motor seems fine. So that couldnt cause trouble you mean? I have ordered Rocketfans. I have a tempgun. Thats how I know the temps.

Open up the motor front and rear and look at the windings, they should show no signs of burn marks i.e. almost black lacquer, should be a nice solid deep brown, slightly darker than copper. If that looks fine, the motor should be ok.

I believe castle does it because they have no way of telling if it was because of users fault or not so to protect them selves from a total loss they offer half off.each party eats 50 percent .makes things simple but I'd be pissed if it wasn't my fault and I'd have to eat a full loss.🤷.or maybey castle has different reasons.

I believe castle does it because they have no way of telling if it was because of users fault or not so to protect them selves from a total loss they offer half off.each party eats 50 percent .makes things simple but I'd be pissed if it wasn't my fault and I'd have to eat a full loss.🤷.or maybey castle has different reasons.

I'm sure that's exactly why.. in the end they never lose any money.. 👍..

I don't use castle or hobbywing, so never experienced it.. but I've seen it over and over, here and in person..

I'm sure that's exactly why.. in the end they never lose any money.. 👍..

I don't use castle or hobbywing, so never experienced it.. but I've seen it over and over, here and in person..
What do you use ? Seems like you found a better brand that's not giving you issues like what others are complaining about

What do you use ? Seems like you found a better brand that's not giving you issues like what others are complaining about

I'm with jk flow.. factory spektrum for the bashers, I'm not into anything that taxes the rigs like speed running.. conservative gearing, low timing.. a 50 mph basher is plenty.. let's be honest, something that gets jumped repeatedly is rarely wot at launch..

Same with my tar bashers.. a 60mph drift rig is all I'm after, I do prefer the firma 160 in those rigs, (they deal with heat better for sure) but I use both the 150 and 160 in those rigs...

And as far as the 3s and 4s line, same same.. factory electronics.. run it.. save that money for broken part's...👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back