4s trx or xt90 on max 5 g2 combo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireDrake001

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon Mega
Hey all I’m curious. I don’t have any qs8 batteries. Is there any chance that xt90 or the bigger 4s trx connectors can handle the current? The g2 max 5 is 250 amps.

Nah, you will really need to get QS8 or at the very least something with 6.5mm connectors like castle bullets. XT90, IC5, EC5, and especially trx connectors will be a bottle neck to the Max 5. The Max 5 motor is serious business.

At best you will risk damaging the ESC from ripple current and possibly blow the caps, at worst the connectors will melt together and the ESC could die. What are you considering the Max 5 for? I don't mean to belittle your project, but saving on batteries with QS8 is very low on the priority list when building out a rig that specs something like the Max 5. The Max 5 is a ridiculously powerful system that generally goes in 1/5 scale cars that cost 1000+ dollars. A QS8 connector is like 20 bucks to put on a battery or two, and those packs need to be really strong lipos, generally high capacity, high discharge, from a reputable vendor like CNHL, SMC, or Onyx if you're going to run a Max 5.

All I can do is give you hands on personal experience. Not sure what other people have tried. But for me I have never needed QS8's. I have a lot of 12s systems, 8 to be exact, none use qs8's. Aside from the x-maxx and infraction the other 12s systems have been ran upwards of 50 to 75 times.

I run the Max 5 G2 250amp 800kv 56118SD in two of my rigs. I use XT90's with no issues, they don't "rephrase" get to hot. Pretty sure as long as your not doing 200mph your fine. The X-maxx has at least 15 to 20 full packs though it. I run 8s/10s/12 configurations on Both the infraction and xmaxx. The X-maxx has had 12s ran through it 3 times full to lvc.

PXL_20231210_202421618.jpg

PXL_20231023_192235509.jpg

All I can do is give you hands on personal experience. Not sure what other people have tried. But for me I have never needed QS8's. I have a lot of 12s systems, 8 to be exact, none use qs8's. Aside from the x-maxx and infraction the other 12s systems have been ran upwards of 50 to 75 times.

I run the Max 5 G2 250amp 800kv 56118SD in two of my rigs. I use XT90's with no issues, they don't "rephrase" get to hot. Pretty sure as long as your not doing 200mph your fine. The X-maxx has at least 15 to 20 full packs though it. I run 8s/10s/12 configurations on Both the infraction and xmaxx. The X-maxx has had 12s ran through it 3 times full to lvc.

View attachment 337008

View attachment 337009
XT90 is officially rated to handle 90 continuous amps, while the Max5 G2 is rated for 250 continuous amps.

Will it always be at 250a? No. But is there a good chance it'll frequently exceed 90a? Absolutely.

XT90 is the wrong answer regardless of what people here have used.

XT90 is officially rated to handle 90 continuous amps, while the Max5 G2 is rated for 250 continuous amps.

Will it always be at 250a? No. But is there a good chance it'll frequently exceed 90a? Absolutely.

XT90 is the wrong answer regardless of what people here have used.
90amp rated yes "continuous." Peak 180 each, most times running 2 of them.

I can debate this with personal experience on both the max5 g2 and many many other 12s systems.

#1 2 batteries, 2 xt90s
#2 I've peaked 220 amps over and over in my 7" drone on a single XT60 lolol
#3 My many other 200amp ESC's 12s system peak and sometimes sustain 250amps all the time on dual xt90's without over heating.
#4 I have personally done this "a ton" and its fine.

I can't in good conscience tell someone it's wrong when it works just fine for me.

Im curious? what have you overheated with a max5 g2, can you show me you tested xt90's. Cause I did.

Not meant to be argumentative or insulting here. Being serious ive done this alot, xt90s on big esc's with 12s.

Load is really what matters. Wanna melt an XT90 " I can actually tell you how from experience" use a 12s system in a boat, then you will pull 350amps "sustained" and yes toast about any connector and battery, even desolder 6.5mm motor bullets lol.

Edit:
He really didnt state his full application but I doubt its anything psycho at this point.

Last edited:
I can't in good conscience tell someone it's wrong when it works just fine for me.
Shouldn't this work the other way too?

We should not, in good conscience, convince someone to use a connector beyond its maximum capability, as defined by manufacturer specifications.

Shouldn't this work the other way too?

We should not, in good conscience, convince someone to use a connector beyond its maximum capability, as defined by manufacturer specifications.
Unfortunately, no it doesn't. It isnt past its spec's in a dual config. Technically in if you think of it like that a single xt90 on a max8 is super bad news, but its 100% not.

If this thinking without testing was correct a max8 with a single xt90 would burst into flames the second you punch the throttle. It's why testing over spec's is always necessary.

Tiny ol Max8 "continuous" 160, peak amps 1000 lolol

2023-12-14 15_40_04-EZRUN MAX8 G2 COMBO - HOBBYWING North America and 28 more pages - Profile ...png

Can you explain what you mean by "dual config" and why that matters here?
2 lipo's 2 xt90's, its not pulling but half from each.

2 xt90's peaking at 360amps and sustained at 180.

Now technical data time sir. I have logged my max amps in most of my 12s systems. Max ive hit "def not a constant sustained" in the x-maxx is 190 lolol "dual xt90s". Application - I bash and its not geared for speed. Other systems like i mentioned the drone, and much bigger 12s systems i've logged 250 max, and it was peak "also dual xt90 systems".

200mph road car, probably, 90mph huge boat for sure, absolutely, need more then xt90s.

Last edited:
2 lipo's 2 xt90's, its not pulling but half from each.

2 xt90's peaking at 360amps and sustained at 180.

Now technical data time sir. I have logged my max amps in most of my 12s systems. max ive hit in the x-maxx is 190 lolol
Hmm. That doesn't sound right to me. Wouldn't each connector in series wiring experience the maximum current? You can't use 50a connectors in a 100a system just because the two connectors are wired in series.

Maybe I'm wrong though. I'd be curious to hear opinions from some of the experts here.

@vwturbowolf
@LibertyMKiii
@phildogg
@SrC
@K-BASH
@Diem Turner

np man i get you. Im just stating numbers like you but, my actual point is I do this all the time and check temps and data logs. And its 100% fine for my applications.

You'd need crazy resistance to pull crazy amps and I have done that, I have desoldered 6.5mm bullets from motors lol so im well aware of the limits. I.E. fast air resistance or brutal water resistance. If your bashing and pulling 350amps your mesh is borked haha, jk, but just saying something would have to be a muck.

Last edited:
In series 180 amps is coming through both connectors. In parallel there would be 90 amps per connector.
And most R/C car power systems with two plugs are in series, not parallel unless you've wired something up yourself differently.
Ultimately what it comes down to what nomis said though, if you run a max5 in a 3 pound car, it won't have huge load, but if you're running it in a normal car specced for it, it will regularly pull over the current limit of the connector which is bad news.

Well he is going to say I run it in an x-maxx and a infraction. Much more then 3lbs haha. But it is not bad news its fine in my applications.

Also we need to understand that most amp ratings are rated at 120v. We are at 50v 12s here, and most times 8s so in the 30's.

voltage X wattage = miliamps

But also this doesn't mean it will pull that, If you gear low it'll pull low, if you gear high you can easily pull over what the motor can do, not even mentioning the battery connectors. Or massive air/water resistance haha, thatll do it real quick.

For instance:

My logs don't show me using this much in my x-maxx. And that makes sense i only peaked at 190 amps. and thats fine on dual xt90s. If you are running in a 8s or 10s config it will be even less.

2023-12-14 16_37_53-Volts to Amps Conversion Calculator - Inch Calculator and 32 more pages - ...png

It really depends on this users application.

I just wanted to make sure the OP knew it can be done in many if not "most" configurations safely, just not super-duper high end applications haha. Just making sure he knows you don't have to see a Max5 and just be like omg qs8 only no matter what.

If someone says do i need qs8 on a max5, do i need to convert all my batteries or some of them. You should ask what application are you using? Not just no you cant.

Make sense?

Last edited:
I mean Team Associated uses Deans on the MT8, that doesn't mean it's the right choice. Luckily in their case the car will break before you can manage to melt the connector :ROFLMAO:

I mean Team Associated uses Deans on the MT8, that doesn't mean it's the right choice. Luckily in their case the car will break before you can manage to melt the connector :ROFLMAO:

Again don't want to confuse the op here lol. XT90s are still fine in most applications. Including my posted rigs above.

Running my XT90's and a few of the S versions (anti spark), for some years now. But I'm running 6s at most with all my stuff.
XT90's don't have enough amp overhead IMHO. The operative term here is "amp overhead". I would expect my connectors to always well exceed ESC Amp Loads.
I would clearly choose if I had to choose... the QS8's, best for anything 8s and above. (using 8 gage wires throughout the mains circuit with 8mm bullets, in an ideal world)
To the OP, just do that. Solder QS8's onto your packs and all. It is proper and correct.
XT90's get quite warm to the touch just running 6s packs. That is only 100-120 amps through them with stock electrics. EC/C5's as well. When pushed hard, Tall gearing and all, resistance causes heat.
FWIW I find IC/EC 5's are easier to melt.
I only use Legit Amass brand XT90's. for some extra coin Anti-spark is best. The connections won't arc/spark up when connecting and get trashed with repeated use.
And Perfect Pass makes awesome well regarded QS8's.
:cool:
I laugh when I hear of those T-Plugs. (Deans Ultra plug copies) that all the Cheap OE's still use. TA RTR cheap crap etc.:giggle:
Those T-plugs were rated for RC Brushed motors and 7.2volt ESC's back before the Millennial. No one goes out of their way to run these anymore.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Ironically all the Track guys ran them like I did back in the 1990's. It was the bestest at the time. Now not.

Last edited:
At best you will risk damaging the ESC from ripple current and possibly blow the caps, at worst the connectors will melt together and the ESC could die. What are you considering the Max 5 for? I don't mean to belittle your project, but saving on batteries with QS8 is very low on the priority list when building out a rig that specs something like the Max 5. The Max 5 is a ridiculously powerful system that generally goes in 1/5 scale cars that cost 1000+ dollars. A QS8 connector is like 20 bucks to put on a battery or two, and those packs need to be really strong lipos, generally high capacity, high discharge, from a reputable vendor like CNHL, SMC, or Onyx if you're going to run a Max 5.
Honestly I was kinda thinking the max 5 v3 200 amps with
my project is upgrading and building up a Losi Dbxle 2.0. I use xt90 on everything so having now qs8 would make compatibility problems. I plan to get most of the aluminum upgrades and run the max 5 with the 56110(somewhere around there) stock spektrum motor on a 18 tooth pinion. Wouldn’t the max 5 v3 and the max 6 g2 work? 200 amps and both run 8s?
Hey all! Does the voltage you are running change what amps would be pulled? I’m just going to be running 8s on a stock motor Losi Dbxle 2.0.

Honestly I was kinda thinking the max 5 v3 200 amps with

my project is upgrading and building up a Losi Dbxle 2.0. I use xt90 on everything so having now qs8 would make compatibility problems. I plan to get most of the aluminum upgrades and run the max 5 with the 56110(somewhere around there) stock spektrum motor on a 18 tooth pinion. Wouldn’t the max 5 v3 and the max 6 g2 work? 200 amps and both run 8s?
I mean i know someone that i bash with that has that exact vehicle and esc/motor. They use xt90s and have for a long time without them overheating.

I was answering the original post.

"Hey all I’m curious. I don’t have any qs8 batteries. Is there any chance that xt90 or the bigger 4s trx connectors can handle the current? The g2 max 5 is 250 amps."

Is there any chance.... YES a big one lololol. You can do it and it'll be fine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back