4s trx or xt90 on max 5 g2 combo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel 8s with XT90's would be a borderline match. It will work... until it does not. Are you feelin lucky? I see people do this.
XT90's can get quite warm/hot, just running 6s packs, stated earlier.
Connectors should get no warmer than the lipo pack itself. I find they get warmer/hotter than the packs themselves, meaning they are handling too high an amperage. For how long, is anyones Guess. Waiting for a hot connector to melt/fail/dead short on you, is not a realistic option.
Connector failures suck. Fire ensues. Been there.

Last edited:
I feel 8s with XT90's would be a borderline match. It will work... until it does not. Are you feelin lucky?
XT90's can get quite warm/hot, just running 6s packs, stated earlier.
8s is def not the cap. These are just within my reach, 3 - 12s packs lolol. Ran every weekend multiple times. The Pulses and Yowoo's for +1 and +2 years. It's super rare i miss a sunday, so literally every weekend.

I get your concern though. But trust me its an acceptable application that the OP wants to do if he so chooses to.

406235071_928510981968360_7764237462740287620_n.jpg

Many people do it. And get away with it. So it becomes fine for them. I get it. NP.
I just feel it is not fundamentally correct, or even conforms to the laws of electricity. I always temp check my RC components. My temp gun doesn't lie.
Avoid connector resistance at all costs, and you are golden. Leave nothing to fail.

Agreed to a degree haha, I just don't think people need told you cant do it and youll pay for it later. As that is entirely untrue for the OP's application. My 8 12s systems running for years beg to differ lolol - "He said jokingly"

Now if he wants to pull a Raz and pull 15kW of juice then id say XT90's are not gonna do ya hahahhah :ROFLMAO:

Ok all. I think I may just get a max 5 v3 esc and run the stock motor with a higher pinion. The stock esc is spektrum 8s 160 amp esc. Doesn’t seem like that heavy losi buggy is gonna be great given that that esc is only 160 amps and a 1/6 esc. So I think I’ll put xt90’s maybe on it and if they are easily heated up I’ll swap em. Wanted to see what everyone’s inputs on the matter was. I agree with everyone that deans t have no reason to exist anymore😂. We have xt60 now.

Last edited:
Ask anyone who knows/sells ESC's, Even HW or CC, they will tell you XT90's are not a match, especially for the MAX5's 8 gage sized mains leads.
QS8's are suitable in many respects. Money well spent.
That 1/5 Losi is quite heavy at that, like you said.
Can't be lazy and/or cheap out when choosing the right connector.
Surprised this thread even lingered this long. The answer was quite simple.
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

:cool:

edited.

Last edited:
Ask anyone who knows/sells ESC's, Even HW or CC, they will tell you XT90's are not a match, especially for the MAX5's 8 gage sized mains leads.

edited.
Yes it was :ROFLMAO: haha. And the answer was yes its doable if you choose to go that route. And no your not going to smoke anything.

@FireDrake001, never be afraid to ask away here at AF.
I just can't speak to the questionable answer(s) you might get. Vet everything if you can, from different sources.
Then govern yourself accordingly.;)

I actually think I’ll do the max 5 g2 system with ec5. I never even considered ec5😂. Ec5 would work as they are much more suitable having way better amperage rating.

I actually think I’ll do the max 5 g2 system with ec5. I never even considered ec5😂. Ec5 would work as they are much more suitable having way better amperage rating.
Honestly connectors are overrated. Manufacturer specs are all made up anyway.

Just twist the bare wires a few times and call it a day.

For the money I agree the G2 is the best bang for buck. So much better spec'd then the Gen 1.

EC/IC 5's don't necessarily have "way better Amperage rating". Yes they are used with the 8s RTR OE stuff. But you can't compare a MAX5 with a Firma 160 amper stocker ESC. The EC/IC's have a slghtly wider female barrel. The amp burst rating appears to be only slightly more than XT90's.
Yet the barrel is a thinner gauge with less mass to them. I played around with both IC's and XT90's before. I also find EC/IC's cost more and wear out faster than XT90's. Sometimes double the price, being a HH proprietary connector design. The plastic used also melts faster than a legit Amass XT90. Fact.
Go with QS8's, my only recommendation running most any 8s+ ESC's. Don't cheap out with connectors.
Not best to cut corners or be lazy about it when it comes to your electrics.
In the end it is only your choice to make. What works for you.
Enjoy.

Last edited:
XT90 is officially rated to handle 90 continuous amps, while the Max5 G2 is rated for 250 continuous amps.

Will it always be at 250a? No. But is there a good chance it'll frequently exceed 90a? Absolutely.

XT90 is the wrong answer regardless of what people here have used.

Esc amp ratings are kind of like lipo c rates, you cannot believe what the company puts there. Castle has specifically stated this is why they do not post the amp ratings of their ecs because they do not want to lie to anyone and they wouldn't sell any escs. Not to mention that I do not believe there are any lipo batteries on the planet that can even put out 250 continuous amps. Remember most lipos have an average true sustainable c rate of 30c. Even the highest quality batteries on the planet will only put out around 230a continuously. MCS Guy on RCGroups has proven this.

This is a bit old but proves my point.

The highest performing battery was only able to sustain 45c 5100x45 = 229,500 or 230a if we are rounding up.

All 2021 LPB Results (2).Jpg

In series 180 amps is coming through both connectors. In parallel there would be 90 amps per connector.
And most R/C car power systems with two plugs are in series, not parallel unless you've wired something up yourself differently.
Ultimately what it comes down to what nomis said though, if you run a max5 in a 3 pound car, it won't have huge load, but if you're running it in a normal car specced for it, it will regularly pull over the current limit of the connector which is bad news.

No you have that backwards. The amp output does not scale when wired in series. You could have 50 batteries plugged in in series and the amp out put will remain constant. 50 5000mah 45c batteries in series would still only put out 225a constant. You would have to connect them in parallel to increase the amp output.

Last edited:
No you have that backwards. The amp output does not scale when wired in series. You could have 50 batteries plugged in in series and the amp out put will remain constant. 50 5000mah 45c batteries in series would still only put out 225a constant. You would have to connect them in parallel to increase the amp output.
I'm not sure you understood what I wrote. I'm saying if there is a load of 180 amps from the motor, both connectors in series will have the same load, and if the packs are in parallel, that load would be split across both batteries so it would be 90 amps coming from each battery, assuming same voltage.

edited.
Hey thanks! Yeah imma go the better connectors. This dbxle is so awesome.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back