Max6 fan issue - it’s not the fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Fan stopped working in one of my max6’s. I figured it got damaged like the last one. I removed it but could see any broken wires. I tried a spare fan and that didn’t work either. So I took the fan and plugged it into my other max6. Bingo. It works. So it seems that the 3 prong fan port is supplying any juice. Any thoughts? I already emailed Hobbywing.

Hobbywing makes it a pain in the ass to replace stuff. Had a max 8 go bad gave me the run around before replacing.

Fan stopped working in one of my max6’s. I figured it got damaged like the last one. I removed it but could see any broken wires. I tried a spare fan and that didn’t work either. So I took the fan and plugged it into my other max6. Bingo. It works. So it seems that the 3 prong fan port is supplying any juice. Any thoughts? I already emailed Hobbywing.
What about a good shot with electrical parts cleaner? Start with what's easiest, and won't affect it if you have to send it back in.

All this trouble continues to make me hesitant to buy HW. Up until recently I felt like I'd read plenty positives enough to consider buying from them. Castle is assembled in the US, correct? I think I feel better about going with them so far when time comes for me to upgrade.
*just my thoughts lately*

What about a good shot with electrical parts cleaner? Start with what's easiest, and won't affect it if you have to send it back in.

First thing I tried. No luck.

Your not having much luck with Hobbywing lately are you..?? ???

I am not.

They are going to cringe when they get your email.

Did you ever get back the max10 sct?

Yes. They shipped it back in a plastic bag. They kept the stock box I sent it in. Pricks.

All this trouble continues to make me hesitant to buy HW. Up until recently I felt like I'd read plenty positives enough to consider buying from them. Castle is assembled in the US, correct? I think I feel better about going with them so far when time comes for me to upgrade.
*just my thoughts lately*

Castle makes a better ESC. They are expensive though.
If you have a multimeter you can check to verify that there is no power on the 3 prong port. The fan you can use a servo ext to the receiver for now. Not a solution but will keep you running with a fan.

I don’t own a multimeter. As far as running the fan off the receiver, would it be supplying the correct amount of volts? In my case it is 7.4. I think the fan has 01 5V printed on it.

Damn, my wife accuses me of it all the time, but do I really have a rabbits foot up my a$$ or something?? I have 2 of the max 10sct setups, no problems at all. My Noto, no problems to really speak of. Everyone else seems to have issues. Sorry man, that sucks.

Damn, my wife accuses me of it all the time, but do I really have a rabbits foot up my a$$ or something?? I have 2 of the max 10sct setups, no problems at all. My Noto, no problems to really speak of. Everyone else seems to have issues. Sorry man, that sucks.
The max10 SCT wasn’t defective. They checked it. It’s just weak sauce compared to a castle Mamba X.

I am not.

Yes. They shipped it back in a plastic bag. They kept the stock box I sent it in. Pricks.

Castle makes a better ESC. They are expensive though.

I don’t own a multimeter. As far as running the fan off the receiver, would it be supplying the correct amount of volts? In my case it is 7.4. I think the fan has 01 5V printed on it.
In case you're in Harbor Freight and feel like using the coupon, you can get a cheap multimeter for free. They also have a weekend sale going on again right now. I may go pick up an airbrush kit.
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-63604.html

That's funny, cause I haven't had any issues. I'm pretty sure you either got a defect and they are saying it ain't, you over geared it, or over heated it and damaged it. My 9 and 11 year old run the piss out of 'em, back to back batteries, over and over, and have no issues.

That's funny, cause I haven't had any issues. I'm pretty sure you either got a defect and they are saying it ain't, you over geared it, or over heated it and damaged it. My 9 and 11 year old run the piss out of 'em, back to back batteries, over and over, and have no issues.
Which trucks? Pinions? Tires?

I said on the stock gearing and tires it runs just like the BLX100. No issues at all. I just expected more out of a $75 ESC. But if I wanted to run stock gearing I would just have kept the BLX100 as it performs just as well as the Max10 SCT with less programming options and a weaker BEC.

I'll be running the snot out of mine in the coming months. Will see how it does for what I do. I have a feeling the motor is going to run hot... so may swap it out for a 3670 hobbystar around 3000kv.

Granite megas, stock pinions, stock tires grass fields, wide open for about an hr over 2 5000 mah batts. I haven't seen overheating yet, it has been in the 80s here lately. It probably will be close to over heating if you don't at least have the heat sink on, with a fan you might be ok.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back