Max6 fan issue - it’s not the fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Granite megas, stock pinions, stock tires grass fields, wide open for about an hr over 2 5000 mah batts. I haven't seen overheating yet, it has been in the 80s here lately. It probably will be close to over heating if you don't at least have the heat sink on, with a fan you might be ok.

Stock gearing as in the 48p gears it originally came with? 2s or 3s?

No, blx convert. 2s 5000 mah 50c, but full throttle for long periods. The boys like to race in a big circle around the 1 1/2 acre that is the side yard. They run wide open for like 10+ mins then go jump the jumps we have, batt dies. I make them look the trucks over for anything loose or damaged, check temps, and they are off again with a fresh batt. Max10sct with 3660.

Well I would hope a $75 ESC can power a stock granite on 2s without issue ?

Like I said. It's a more adjustable BLX 100. It was my fault for not researching it better. I wanted something to run an 18t pinion and bigger tires in my Granite and BRCC without excessive cogging. The Max10 SCT isn't the ESC for that task.

P.S. I definitely did not overheat it and damage it.

Yea ok, totally cause I'm on 2s.?
We are comparing apples and oranges. Go throw an 18t pinion in it and run 3s. See if it cogs. I don't own any 2s batteries otherwise I'd go test your setup.

Well I would hope a $75 ESC can power a stock granite on 2s without issue ?

Like I said. It's a more adjustable BLX 100. It was my fault for not researching it better. I wanted something to run an 18t pinion and bigger tires in my Granite and BRCC without excessive cogging. The Max10 SCT isn't the ESC for that task.

P.S. I definitely did not overheat it and damage it.
Just for kicks you should throw that max10 on your 3670 with the 18t and see how it acts. It should run great if they were right and there are no problems with it. I've been gettin reckless with mine and its holding up. Well, so far. I won't act surprised when it acts up.
And don't bother trying the setup with the 15t. Stupid slow.

Just for kicks you should throw that max10 on your 3670 with the 18t and see how it acts. It should run great if they were right and there are no problems with it. I've been gettin reckless with mine and its holding up. Well, so far. I won't act surprised when it acts up.
And don't bother trying the setup with the 15t. Stupid slow.
I'd have to remove the Castle Mamba X and I really don't want to. Maybe I'll try it in my Granite. I just have to take the BLX185 out.

I don’t own a multimeter. As far as running the fan off the receiver, would it be supplying the correct amount of volts? In my case it is 7.4. I think the fan has 01 5V printed on it.

Multimeters can be had cheap and even sometimes free as @crimsonfancy fancy has shown. As far as voltage for the fan goes IMO 7.4v should be ok or just get a fan that can operate at 7.4v. I have run fans on escs that say 5v with non regulated voltage (not run off bec but battery voltage) on 3s just fine they sound like they are about to take off with a non regulated (bec) fan but still work. It's up to you but again IMO you should be ok at 7.4v.

In case you're in Harbor Freight and feel like using the coupon, you can get a cheap multimeter for free. They also have a weekend sale going on again right now. I may go pick up an airbrush kit.
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-63604.html

View attachment 36557

Yep what's cheaper than free. Just some of the free stuff from Harbor Freight.

Zm50W7K.jpg

So I brought my kraton to the LHS. They put a multimeter on the fan port and it showed 7.4 volts. But when you plug a fan into it it will not run. We tried several different fans, all that would run off the receiver, but would not run off the fan port. We ended up running an extension to the receiver. It's very odd that the port would show 7.4 volts, but when you plug a fan into it it does not work.

So I brought my kraton to the LHS. They put a multimeter on the fan port and it showed 7.4 volts. But when you plug a fan into it it will not run. We tried several different fans, all that would run off the receiver, but would not run off the fan port. We ended up running an extension to the receiver. It's very odd that the port would show 7.4 volts, but when you plug a fan into it it does not work.

Another Hobbywing mystery..?

Well it gets worse. I brought it home and went to test it. I never hooked up the motor leads in the shop. So I connect them and power up the ESC. No throttle. So I calibrate it. I get the one green light for neutral, 2 green lights for full throttle and 3 green for full brake and more lights when I return to neutral. Still no motor response. Also the servo seems jerky when I steer back and forth. When I apply throttle or brake no lights shine on the ESC. It should show solid red when brake or throttle is applied. I think it's farked. I'm going to bring it back to the LHS tomorrow and let them deal with Hobbywing. Thankfully I bought it from them.

For what it's worth my BRCC is running a max10 sct, hobbystar 3674 2650 kv, with a 20t on 4s and I love it. It cogs a very little at startup. I have had to replace the fan on the esc though.

I also just got a new 4s Outcast and the new blx 120 does not cog at all on the stock setup. It will climb right up my leg.

Well it gets worse. I brought it home and went to test it. I never hooked up the motor leads in the shop. So I connect them and power up the ESC. No throttle. So I calibrate it. I get the one green light for neutral, 2 green lights for full throttle and 3 green for full brake and more lights when I return to neutral. Still no motor response. Also the servo seems jerky when I steer back and forth. When I apply throttle or brake no lights shine on the ESC. It should show solid red when brake or throttle is applied. I think it's farked. I'm going to bring it back to the LHS tomorrow and let them deal with Hobbywing. Thankfully I bought it from them.

The fan runs off the escs internal bec if I am not mistaken. You have power out of the port the bec and the port are probably fine. But the problem could be the servo by what you are saying now. When a servo goes bad it can get wonky and overload the bec in the esc like a short when you operate the servo. The problem in the servo overloads the bec. Try a different servo or disconnect the servo from the receiver and see if the fan runs. I had something similar happen recently and the servo got really hot and overloaded the bec slowed the fan down like a brownout changed the servo all was good so the servo was bad. Might be your problem or not but worth a shot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back