Max8 G2S is on preorder.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrjr71

The Old Guy
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Infraction 4x4
I just got an email from Hobbywing Direct announcing preorder for the new Max8 G2S. Here's what it says:

"The EZRUN MAX8 G2S features everything we've come to love about the popular EZRUN MAX5 G2 ESC, and adds in built in bluetooth connectivity. The HW Link V2 App (IOS or Android) connects with the new EZRUN MAX8 G2S without the need for an extra programming device with its built-in Bluetooth module. This makes tuning your EZRUN MAX8 G2S quicker, simpler and easier! Now equipped with temperature-sensing Smart Fan circuitry and built-in Data Logging, while maintaining the same compact size, it is still rated for 3s-6s LiPo batteries."

They need to add the Smart Fan feature because their line up between the Max10 to Max6 is inconsistent when it comes to included features.
It says they did.
“Now equipped with temperature-sensing Smart Fan circuitry and built-in Data Logging”

I just got an email from Hobbywing Direct announcing preorder for the new Max8 G2S. Here's what it says:

"The EZRUN MAX8 G2S features everything we've come to love about the popular EZRUN MAX5 G2 ESC, and adds in built in bluetooth connectivity. The HW Link V2 App (IOS or Android) connects with the new EZRUN MAX8 G2S without the need for an extra programming device with its built-in Bluetooth module. This makes tuning your EZRUN MAX8 G2S quicker, simpler and easier! Now equipped with temperature-sensing Smart Fan circuitry and built-in Data Logging, while maintaining the same compact size, it is still rated for 3s-6s LiPo batteries."
How much are they asking for it?

Built in Bluetooth is nice.
HW is killing it lately. And prices are reasonable.
No joke, right? They really are killing it. All the EZruns are sensored now, are higher amperage capable, have data logging, have bluetooth for crying out loud…
And super reasonable prices. Their other primary competitor is much more money for the same ballpark specs.
I keep waiting for some serious speed runners to start using them and figuring them out with the logs but they’re all afraid to cheat on their wife, Castle. :)

I keep waiting for some serious speed runners to start using them and figuring them out with the logs but they’re all afraid to cheat on their wife, Castle. :)
I wish I could. To my knowledge, HW still has pretty restrictive amp limits on the new stuff. They cut out under prolonged, heavy load, which is good for reliability but is a non-starter for speed running.

I wish I could. To my knowledge, HW still has pretty restrictive amp limits on the new stuff. They cut out under prolonged, heavy load, which is good for reliability but is a non-starter for speed running.
Depends on your trigger pull? Perfect pass? Same issues people have overcome on Castle systems. Just saying…

Depends on your trigger pull? Perfect pass? Same issues people have overcome on Castle systems. Just saying…
Yes those tactics help with either brand, though Castle has a huge advantage any way you look at it.

Last edited:
Yes those tactics help with either brand, though Castle has a huge advantage any way you look at it.
I don’t doubt your assertion that Castle is superior for speed running. I’m just suggesting that the new HW systems have really made some leaps and bounds over the last gen. And now that data logging is available many known issues can now be overcome, just as they were with Castle back in the day. Now, instead of people just making uninformed arbitrary statements to explain amp cuts, for example, they will be able to review logs, make changes, and potentially resolve some issues that have been big limiting factors historically with the HW setups. If some very experienced, knowledgeable speed runners decided to see just what they could squeeze out of the new G2 systems I think a lot of people would be really surprised. But those guys seem to have no interest whatsoever in doing that. I get it, why would they? But I hope to see it soon.

I don’t doubt your assertion that Castle is superior for speed running. I’m just suggesting that the new HW systems have really made some leaps and bounds over the last gen. And now that data logging is available many known issues can now be overcome, just as they were with Castle back in the day. Now, instead of people just making uninformed arbitrary statements to explain amp cuts, for example, they will be able to review logs, make changes, and potentially resolve some issues that have been big limiting factors historically with the HW setups. If some very experienced, knowledgeable speed runners decided to see just what they could squeeze out of the new G2 systems I think a lot of people would be really surprised. But those guys seem to have no interest whatsoever in doing that. I get it, why would they? But I hope to see it soon.
You should give it a shot man. I'd love to have another feasible ESC option for speed runs. Maybe on that super top secret classified don't tell anyone not even your mother SWB build you've been talking about?

You should give it a shot man. I'd love to have another feasible ESC option for speed runs. Maybe on that super top secret classified don't tell anyone not even your mother SWB build you've been talking about?
Funny you should mention that, I just started work on that project again yesterday. Hopefully it won’t be too long, but I’ll post it up soon. Honest. 😊

You can’t break a fan that isn’t spinning 👍
Is that a challenge

The data logging is cool but it's not quite fully baked yet. No Ripple metric, no export function, you're stuck on the mobile device and can't really analyze the data as well. I wish Hobbywing would spend a week of dev time doing an export function. I use the logging on my Outcast 8s with Max6 G2 a lot and double check temps to make sure the fan didn't unplug again. I clocked over 507 amps the other day around 23v sag, a cool 11500 watts...

Here's a screenshot from my most recent outing log

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240417_154047_HW Link V2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240417_154047_HW Link V2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Is that a challenge

The data logging is cool but it's not quite fully baked yet. No Ripple metric, no export function, you're stuck on the mobile device and can't really analyze the data as well. I wish Hobbywing would spend a week of dev time doing an export function. I use the logging on my Outcast 8s with Max6 G2 a lot and double check temps to make sure the fan didn't unplug again. I clocked over 507 amps the other day around 23v sag, a cool 11500 watts...

Here's a screenshot from my most recent outing log
I haven’t messed with them yet, but I’ve heard the logging is nowhere near as comprehensive as the Castle logs are. I also hope they continue to work on that.

Wish this would've came out a little earlier before building my alloy 1/8 Mojave. Looks like the other kid needs one built too for this...

Back